YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have just been notified i have passed the exam for the HIP Home Inspector.

You wouldn't think i d be so amazed because after all I have been surveying buildings for 15 years or more but It was by far the hardest exam i have ever sat. I could not believe that they would go from asking the date in which X building regulation was enforced to asking the spacing for anchor points for fitted windows???

Then they show you a photo of a prefab building and ask you who made it please identify and date the boiler and then identify the tree outside from a black and white sketch of a leaf, grade the cracking to the external brickwork, then on to questions on electrics and drainage....???

Some of the subject matter was so specialized i couldn't see how you would know unless you were a roofer, plumber etc. Under normal conditions id just refer the client to get an expert in.

Thats one major league broad church of surveying. Its maybe the sort of thing id expect a chartered surveyor to be able to do but even then it was a bit much to ask him to know when rubber or lead sheathing were used on electrical cables. I know its no good do i really need to be able to bloody date it???

I walked out of the exam hall thinking I had just blown 4.5K on training

But I have passed???? I am stunned, Pass/fail mark was 70% i don't know what i got but I reckon 70.00001% is a damed good guess either that or they got my candidate number wrong :D

I am a very very happy person.

I am sure no one needed to read this but I am so excited I felt compelled to write it, so please forgive the self indulgence.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
Congratulations, it's lovely that you're so obviously chuffed to bits! :)

Reactions: Mark Chase

·
Is fully Mod 1'd up
878 Posts
Well done!!

Its a good feeling when you feel you've done shite to then find out you've passed... a bit like on your driving test when your convinced you buggered it up but you still pass..

:thumbsup:

Cheers

Adam

·
Wreck Enthusiast
4,161 Posts
Congrats Mark, sounds like a tough exam so you're right to be pretty damn pleased with yourself!

Just quietly take the certificate and run :)

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
I am a very very happy person.

I am sure no one needed to read this but I am so excited I felt compelled to write it, so please forgive the self indulgence.

ATB

Mark Chase
Congrats!!!!!

Please feel free to self indulge to your heart's content ......... just remember it makes you go blind ................ allegedly ................. reminds me, I need stronger contact lenses .............

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Congrats Mark.

Hopefully ,i'm going to be feeling like you at the end of June.

8 Exams with pass marks of 70 % with the shortest at 120 mins to 3 bloody hours.
Everyone at work keeps saying i'm going to get high marks , but I just hope that I pass each one first time as I not looking forward to going back down to the school for re-sits.

Anyway , go and get the CHAMPERS out and PERHAPS and a big MAYBE that will make Ling forget all that stress you have been though and let you get in a few more dives :D

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
If the building inspector is walking at 3 miles per hour due west of the Gable end of Liliput Cottage and a crow is flying perendicular to the crumbling chimney stack, how many points does the vendor get for having cows udder light bulbs?

Very well done, and good luck in your new career! :teeth:

·
Resident Windfarmologist
1,852 Posts
From the BBC today:
The introduction of Home Information Packs is to be delayed until August - when they will be brought in for sales of four-bedroom properties.

Jason
Ace - that counts my house out as it only has 1.5 bedrooms :D

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Well done Mark :thumbsup:

I did look into the information you sent me but when I read "needed to be comfortable carrying ladders and crawling in to roof spaces" I didn't think it was for me :D

·
bleedingheartliberalpcgon emadtreehuggingdogooder
1,135 Posts

ATB

Mark Chase
Actually - quite good to read it - do you do full buildings surveys for people buying a house?

just had an offer accepted on a place and could do with a little advice!

·
Finally not a new member
270 Posts
Congratulations. You see some of us surveyors have to know that kind of thing. Its only valuers and Building Society numpties who recommend that the roof, walls, floor, damp, woodworm, electrics, heating ow and the rest of the house should be inspected by an expert and er that will be £600 please.

Proper Independant Chartered Building Surveyors do a proper job.

Reactions: Mark Chase

·
Finally not a new member
270 Posts
From the BBC today:
The introduction of Home Information Packs is to be delayed until August - when they will be brought in for sales of four-bedroom properties.

Jason
So Estate Agents will have to revise their usual sales BS of making the house bigger than it really is by calling the study an extra bedroom and starting calling bedrooms something else to get the deal.

You can just see it - no madam you'll have to move all the beds to the garage and call this a two bedroom house with two study's.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Under normal conditions id just refer the client to get an expert in.
And there's me thinking that is the only question a surveyor doing a homebuyer's report needed to be able to answer :D

Well done Mark - congrats. Hope it is the little gold mine it sounds like! I hear each report only lasts 3 months, for starters.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts