YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I have been looking at the various RB options and confess that my eye keeps being drawn to the new AP Evolution (miniBOD ?)

I gather from their website that the new unit will have a 2kg scrubber and 2l cylinders of diluent and O2.  Obvoiusly this is less that the Inspiration, but what limitations does this give the unit relative to its bigger brother ?

Does anyone have any idea what sort of depths the evolution is best suited to and the recommended scrubber life ?
I am assuming (pardon my ignorance) that it can be used with trimix but how much does the cylinder size limit the practicality of 'deeper' dives ?

Although  I do not plan much in the way of 'deep' dives (sub 60m), would I just be better off with an inspiration ?  at least then I have the option of going deeper for longer at some later stage.

The evolution appears to include a number of options (wrist  mounted master display with deco sofware) is it likely that these will later appear on an inspiration update ?

Finally, does anyone have the faintest idea what the unit is likely to cost ?  I only ask so I can set a minimum bid price for the wife on ebay.

Any info / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

John

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] gather from their website that the new unit will have a 2kg scrubber and 2l cylinders of diluent and O2.  Obvoiusly this is less that the Inspiration, but what limitations does this give the unit relative to its bigger brother ?
The limiting factor is really the scrubber - AFAIK it's going to be CE rated for 2hrs so your runtimes may be compromised on the really deep stuff if you follow the letter of the certification.  Bottle size is not an issue at the 0-70m range.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The evolution appears to include a number of options (wrist  mounted master display with deco sofware) is it likely that these will later appear on an inspiration update
As I understand it, they'll be offered as a retrofit upgrade to the Insp in late 2004.  Expect them to be expensive.  The Hammerhead replacement lid & controllers inc HUD is doing brisk business at the moment and will I suspect be a serious rival to APD's package

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Finally, does anyone have the faintest idea what the unit is likely to cost
Estimated at £5595

Evolution info

Divermole YBOD site with info on Hammerhead

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello,

Yesterday I send an e mail to APD about the Evolution and this is what I received
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The Evolution is still only a prototype model but we hope to have it in production towards the beginning of next year for despatch in early March 2004.

The price has not yet been confirmed but it is estimated that it will be between £4700 and £5800 depending on the specification model you purchase.
I think when I buy (and I like the E Bay option, thanks John) I will buy an Inspiration, because I need it for deep trimix dives and because it's cheaper  

Regards

Pierre

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello again,

Just been in Madmole's site and it's brilliant. Apart of very useful info, there is even a YBOD simulator and if you have just read the manual, you can play about a little bit  

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the info Rob.  

Somewhat foolishly, I expected the evo to be a little cheaper than the current estimated  retail.  Theres no way the wife will fetch anything close to that so it looks as if I may have to throw in the kids aswell  

I am starting to err on the side of the inspiration on the basis that it is cheaper and seems to provide greater potential, particularly if the evolutions enhancements will be available as an option (or the hammerhead upgrade).

Interesting to see that APD are  planning  a srubber life guage thingy (technical term !) I can't help wondering where this leaves the current CE marking - if it has  the potential to take the unit over 2 hours, would the CE approval become void ?!

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I reckon it's a marketing ploy to sell more YBODs  
Since the announcement of the EVIL-UTION (it HAS to be!  
) the YBOD has suddenly become the cheap, tried & tested/trusted option  

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Thats it then . . . . an inspiration it is, although Kevin Gurrs Orouroboros unit looks interesting . . . does it really have a 10h scrubber life ?!!

Buy the basic unit next yearfor £4K and add the upgrade £1.6 as and when the bank manager removes his hands from my throat.   All thats left to do is sell the wife to raise the money.  Do I  hear  £1000 bid ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.