YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just checking the O2 % in my single 12l cylinder tonight and I noticed a white residue sprayed all over the analyser.

Checking the cylinder the threads and back of the valve are also coated in white. I cleaned it off and cracked the valve and it sprayed out again.

Cylinder is fairly new, was O2 cleaned at purchase and has only been filled three times. I'm guessing it's residue of some kind but not something i've seen before.

Anyone got any ideas if I should be worried or not?

Cheers,
Rob.

·
aka j_b
862 Posts
Not sure I'd be wanting to breath that, sound proper iffy to me... Could it be contamination from the fill station?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure I'd be wanting to breath that, sound proper iffy to me... Could it be contamination from the fill station?
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Fortunately I've managed to beg a spare cylinder for Sundays dive.

It could be the fill station but I guess I'll have to pick up the tab for having it recleaned :-(

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
No they should pay if they caused the damage. If you know who it is then go back if only to save others getting the same problem.
+1

TBH, we'd want to know if it was us and ASAP, don't forget there's a good chance that the peeps who filled your cylinder also breathe air from that compressor.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers all.

The only problem is I had it filled at the start of August and haven't touched it since. I suspect they'll tell me to FRO.

I will try calling tomorrow and see what they say.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a quick update on this. I've had the cylinder checked and re-cleaned. Basically the cylinder itself was fine but the valve was absolutely stuffed full of O2 compatible grease, buckets of the stuff which is why it was coming out.

Cheers,
Rob.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Just a quick update on this. I've had the cylinder checked and re-cleaned. Basically the cylinder itself was fine but the valve was absolutely stuffed full of O2 compatible grease, buckets of the stuff which is why it was coming out.

Cheers,
Rob.
Assumed you took it back to the same place? If so.....

What did they say was the reason it had been stuffed full of grease?

If not....

Who stuffed it full of grease?

·
Registered
4,259 Posts

Cheers,
Rob.
Tell me you didn't have to pay to have the clean grease removed :-(

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't take it back to the same place as I bought it on-line and it was simpler to take it to an LDS as they were one of the ones that had filled it and at the time I wasn't sure if the problem had been caused by a fill or not.

Given that it's not down to them I imagine I'll have to pay for the O2 clean when I pick it up tomorrow.

I will contact the original supplier and let them know of the issue just so they are aware.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts