YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have been in Thailand for the past ten months diving.
Sometimes within the first two meters of descent I get an excruciating pain always in the back left hand side of my mouth. This makes it impossible to continue diving and it is only diving that causes the pain.
I am back in the UK now but need to travel again to start with Tech training. However we haven't got to the bottom of this problem. I have no fillings and no cavities in my teeth, none are cracked, the dentist cannot find anything wrong. I have had an x-ray on my teeth and also I have been referred to ENT and they tested me for allergies.

I have no allergies, I have had an MRI scan and there is no visible problem apart from slight mucous thickening but apparently that is not sufficient to be causing the problem. I cannot tell when the pain is going to happen but it feels like my tooth is going to explode out of the side of my face. I have tried decongestants, antibiotics, antihistamines, steroid nasal sprays and steam inhalers none of which have helped.
From what I have read it must be a tooth squeeze or a sinus squeeze however the people that tend to suffer from this have fillings, cracked teeth or sinusitis.
Has anyone had similar problems? or can anyone recommend a doctor or dentist with an interest in this area? The NHS so far have been very slow and seem to be stumped.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your responses but wouldn't all these things hurt all the time when diving though? where as sometimes it hurts so much I can't descend and other times it doesn't hurt at all and other times its uncomfortable but I can get down if i descend slowly

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Thank you all for your responses but wouldn't all these things hurt all the time when diving though? where as sometimes it hurts so much I can't descend and other times it doesn't hurt at all and other times its uncomfortable but I can get down if i descend slowly
Depends if it's full of gunk or air.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey Katy

I went to the dentist for the first time in years due to the same problem. After a thorough examination and x-rays, they couldn't find any problems related to my teeth and wrote it off as sinus squeeze.

I now take antihistamines a couple of days prior to a dive and it seems to have alleviated the problem somewhat. I've also found that on bad days, a really slow descent, staying at the same level for a couple of minutes when the pain really flares means I can continue within aborting the dive.

SCD

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
Depends if it's full of gunk or air.
I think Woz has it nailed. I once suffered the reverse of this with severe pain after surfacing from a 10m diver. The eventual release of air was heard by everyone on the dockside but an immediate trip ton the dentist revealed nowt - and it was put down to food particle(s). You may have a particular 'hole'/crevice that gets filled with food particles on occasion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts