YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
A true Galapagos Adventurer
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

To all of you intrepid travellers out there, how many of you have used the exec lounges @ Gatwick, we have been to one in Mancy and found that really relaxing, it did help having sarnies and a plethora of drinks to hand tho, hic!!
Have heard rumors that one at Gatwick doesn't provide any sarnies, which would be nice, at least it would soak up some of the alcofrol.
Any info apprciated and we will toast you with a drink if it all turns out well.

Cheers, think deep,
Scubanut

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Imported post

Can't help on Gatwick, but the lounges at Heathrow have sarnies, so would be amazed if Gatwich didn't too...

I'd like to be toasted with a Pimms please

Helen

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Depends in which business lounge you frequent, but the BA lounges tend to have a pretty similar script, nosebag-wise, throughout the UK, unless you go to somewhere in the far-flung, like Aberdeen, or experience the poe-faced mares who run the desk at Edinburgh! Talk about sucking lemons!

The lounge at Gatwick (check in, go through ticket/passport control, hang a left after you've had your kit x-ray'd and walk passed the DF - just on your right before the articulated walkways before gate 55 etc.) is expansive and on a number of floors. It also, for those of you who like these things, and I do, has an excellent multi-lingual reading section (books, newspapers, mags etc.) a large smoking section and a help-yourself-bar to rival any lounge I've attended anywhere in the world, with the possible exceptions of Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Miami and the first class lounge at Changi in Singapore, which are in a class of their own!!

I'd be surprised if you're disappointed. Hope this helps.

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Cheers Bren, I knew that the question would entice a reply from you.  
We are flying Excel (?) to Marsa and just looking for somewhere more relaxing than the departure lounge. I know that Servisair have a lounge but have heard a few poor comments. It's certainly worth the £16 - £20 to get away from the crowds.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Scubanut @ April 08 2004,02:42)]Cheers Bren, I knew that the question would entice a reply from you.  
We are flying Excel (?) to Marsa and just looking for somewhere more relaxing than the departure lounge. I know that Servisair have a lounge but have heard a few poor comments. It's certainly worth the £16 - £20 to get away from the crowds.
Amen to that!

If your have either a Wexas Card or a Priority Pass card (and both have served me fine well over the years), you'll be able to get into the Service Air Lounge, and frankly, some of the Servicve Air lounges I've attended are better than some of the airline lounges on offer.

Like you rightly say, an oasis of 'away from it all' in a sea of the 14.40 to Benidorm-madness-malaise.

Web access (invariably free), bar, including the sherry of your choice (free), scran (free), smoking area (blissfully quiet and free) and an opportunity to either catch up on gigglesworth on YD or do some work - either way, you've a large Scotch in your hand and a *** on the burn: show me the hole in this picture?! Unless you're a health Nazi, of course

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ April 08 2004,02:57)]If your have either a Wexas Card or a Priority Pass card (and both have served me fine well over the years), you'll be able to get into the Service Air Lounge, and frankly, some of the Servicve Air lounges I've attended are better than some of the airline lounges on offer.
<font color='#F52887'>Where do I get one?

I don't want to have to sit with the scum at Gatwick in a couple of weeks, a breakfast glass of champagne wouldn't go amiss for the birthday girl.  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mary @ April 08 2004,10:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ April 08 2004,02:57)]If your have either a Wexas Card or a Priority Pass card (and both have served me fine well over the years), you'll be able to get into the Service Air Lounge, and frankly, some of the Servicve Air lounges I've attended are better than some of the airline lounges on offer.
Where do I get one?

I don't want to have to sit with the scum at Gatwick in a couple of weeks, a breakfast glass of champagne wouldn't go amiss for the birthday girl.  
Here ya go Shug:

Wexas Card

And the other one:

Priority Pass

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

I love airline lounges for business travel (cos I want to make it as mellow as poss), but for holidays I'd rather be in the throng, it starts getting you in that holiday mood when you get to go on the rampage in departures.

Last trip to Malta the flight was postponed almost hourly so we ended up spending the night in departures and had a great time being silly. Even got a standing ovation from some old dears for winning a race down the up escalator.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I have been in one of the lounges at Gatwick, nice and quiet, light snacks and beverages.

Log on to the gatwick website and search lounges, there are two in south terminal you can pay for.  When I looked a few weeks ago there was one now you can pay on entry but I suspect it would depend on how many people were already booked in.

Well worth the money IMO.

http://www.baa.co.uk/doc/0349b71f48a8ce7680256cf0004fde07_main.html

·
The brains & beauty behind 'Kinky Divers'
1,585 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>The BA lounge in Gatwick is a haven of tranquillity, breakie stuff early in the morning, sarnies at lunch and tea-time, nibbles (cheese & biscuits etc) all the time, with the usual fruit, crisps & twiglets (yum yum!), plus more booze than you can shake a stick at!
You can only use it if on a BA flight or one of their partner airlines, a silver or gold card will get you in if you haven't got a business or club class ticket.

The other lounges there range from cramped
(Alexandra North Terminal) to reasonable
(Servisair South) but IMHO any place "far from the maddening crowd" is worth every penny.

Does that make me a travel snob?

We used my Priority Pass card in Heathrow, Amsterdam and Cancun for our hols at Christmas and it was a godsend for those interminable hours hanging round waiting for connections! Juz was able to strech out an sleep on the sofas!

OK OK I am a travel snob!

Blanaid

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (divegyrl @ April 08 2004,11:54)]Does that make me a travel snob?
Au contrare, madam!

You're merely discerning

·
1,585 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>merci monsieur aimable!

Blanaid

·
1,585 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>you were happy to avail of my snobbishness on the way to Mexico!

Blanaid

·
Liberal Lefty
1,694 Posts
Imported post

The Exec louge in Newcastle used to be no bigger than a broom cupboard.  Ended up with lots of people in suits standing up in the Exec lounge when they could sit down in the departure lounge.

My company is too stingy to send me anything other than 'strap him to the wing and throw cold spam sarnies at him' class.  

Don't usually get to go in the lounges or anywhere other than sandwiched between two 40 stone americans in Cattle class

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ahar @ April 08 2004,13:12)]'cold spam sarnies at him'  
Ehhh now you're talking, cold spam sarnies, so long as there's a bit of tommy sauce to go with'em.

Me thinks that I'll be spending a few quid to relax and enjoy a 'free' half bottle of scotch for brekkie.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Am I right in thinking that if I apply for the Wexas card .... I can get in the Servis Air lounge at Gatwick ? I see they've got a three month free trail and this might just cover me for a trip I am making in July.

I am a bit of a hatstand when it comes to using lounges for international travel, does the Servis Air lounge close at anytime ?

Once I am inside, it is like a BA lounge I was once in and as much free booze and food I can 'stuff' in before take off ?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (AdmiralHanson @ April 09 2004,11:29)]Am I right in thinking that if I apply for the Wexas card .... I can get in the Servis Air lounge at Gatwick ? I see they've got a three month free trail and this might just cover me for a trip I am making in July.
<font color='#F52887'>I like the sound of this, come on Bren, will it get us in without having to pay?

and then of course (not that I'm a cheapskate) but it does say free trial so i could just cancel my membership and get my money back.  

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
So, how do I go about grtting one of these fine cards? it looks as if we'll be meeting up in the "posh" bit of Gatwick to go to Malta.

Simon A

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Simon and Mary,

See page one of this thread where I've put the URLs for both cards. It explains their respective joining/sign-up criteria etc.

Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts