YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exercise and Diving

I know we shouldn't exercise before or after diving, but how long before or after?

I am a keen runner and like to run 5-10km a few times per week, normally not a problem but in a couple of months I am going somewhere to dive everyday for a prolonged period. :teeth:

Now the vast majority in fact probably all or nearly all of this diving will be shallow (Less than 20 Metres) and the same goes for no deco, the vast majority or all will be no deco diving although its likely I will be doing 2 dives a day 6 days a week.

When is it safe to run? Is it when my "computer shows no fly = zero" or Do I just not run an hour before a dive and an hour after(I just made that up as an example)? How do I work this out? Where is the best place to read about this?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Good question, and I don't know the answer.

Personally I've always figured that if I'm tissue code A than I'm ok for strenuous exercise.

Before I reach code A I prefer to chill out.

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
You can run before as long as you stay hydrated afterwards. Running afterwards can cause problems. I would usually wait 12 hours after a dive to be sure, but if it was a shallow, non deco dive then 6 hours or less depending on the dive would be fine for me.

There is talk of how light exercise can help with off-gassing, Running is not light exercise though and should be taken more seriously.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Reactions: thehappychappy

·
Top Bloke
2,674 Posts
Okeanos said:
You can run before as long as you stay hydrated afterwards. Running afterwards can cause problems. I would usually wait 12 hours after a dive to be sure, but if it was a shallow, non deco dive then 6 hours or less depending on the dive would be fine for me.
When I was working in the Red Sea we would always give it 4 hours before we went to the gym for anything more than a steam room and jacuzzi.

·
Banned
402 Posts
From my experience, having dived for 2 weeks on holiday in Jan, doing 30-35m dives, with some limited deco on the odd dive. Then going into the gym about 1.5 to 2hr latter to do some weight lifting, I was fine, although I am aware that this was not probably the best idea in the world....

But I think if you want to be real safe about it give yourself 6 hours, so then you are off the reppettitive dive table, but then this maybe a bit cautious, its all a risk, but it's up to you....

Steve you say that your bend was put down to pre dive exertion and dehydration. Can anyone explain why predive exertion causes bends other than it may lead to some dehydration. I always thought exercise related bends could only happen afterwards where microbubs are in muscle tissue, then by exerting the muscle you are forcing bubbles into the bloodstream where they may join other bubbles, making bigger bubbles that become BAD?

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
bob wippin said:
From my experience, having dived for 2 weeks on holiday in Jan, doing 30-35m dives, with some limited deco on the odd dive. Then going into the gym about 1.5 to 2hr latter to do some weight lifting, I was fine, although I am aware that this was not probably the best idea in the world....

But I think if you want to be real safe about it give yourself 6 hours, so then you are off the reppettitive dive table, but then this maybe a bit cautious, its all a risk, but it's up to you....

Steve you say that your bend was put down to pre dive exertion and dehydration. Can anyone explain why predive exertion causes bends other than it may lead to some dehydration. I always thought exercise related bends could only happen afterwards where microbubs are in muscle tissue, then by exerting the muscle you are forcing bubbles into the bloodstream where they may join other bubbles, making bigger bubbles that become BAD?
Hi Bob,

click the link on my earlier post it explains it there.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
bob wippin said:
No. Exercise causes micro bubbles which act as seeds for bigger bubbles. Everyone has some micro bubbles in them all the time, even if they are not divers. This isn't a problem for non-divers

Exercise is thought to cause more micro bubbles, via localised increases in pressure, which can cause problems later on in the dive.

Exercise is generally bad if it's before, after, or during a dive.

Janos

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
I was reading into this very subject on my flight to Dubai today.

Some research went into excercise during, prior to and post dive. It was done by Duke University and showed that

- heavy excercise on the bottom can increase deco time threefold
- mild excercise during stops could reduce stop times by as much as 30%

The crux though, was that there was insufficient data to provide statistical validity to the study. Furthermore, the term heavy and mild excercise is highly subjective.

Excercise after diving has been shown to increase the risk of DCI. The recommendation was that divers should avoid ANY exertion for at least 12 hours after ANY dive and especially after a deco dive.

It explained that increased circulation resulting from excercise increases the gas supply to the tissues and speeds up their saturation with nitrogen. Also the build up of carbon dioxide associated with excercise may aggravate bubble formation and the contraction of muscles causes low pressure areas which can act as a nuclei for bubbles.

*source: The Essentials of deeper sport diving by John Lippmann

·
Registered
79 Posts
The Navy see's it like this:

"Excessive exercise after diving may increase the risk of decompression sickness.

After dives approaching the ‘no-stops’ limit or those requiring stops, particularly if the dive was deeper than 42m, divers should not indulge in excessive or prolonged exercise for a period of 2 hours after such dives."

I'd leave it 6 hours before going for a serious phys sesh lasting over an hour. Otherwise, the 2 hours is fine if you're going to do a quick blast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts