YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having had a discussion about how to get new people interested in DIR diving with a couple of instructors, it seems that we need to get more people in the water than just talk about it.

I know that is easy to say, but sometimes it is very difficult to arrange. One solution which worked last year was to run some Nitrox dives on the same weekends at the DIR-UK dives which meant that some of the more experienced DIR divers could dive with the less experience guys. However, although I took on the mantle of trying to arrange these this year, there has been little take up because of the late notice of the dates and people have most of their weekends/fridays sorted already. I will try and address this issue for next year by getting the dates out earlier. There is also talk of having a mini-gig in the spring for next year but this is to be confirmed.

After chatting with the rest of Team Foxturd we have come up with an idea that will hopefully work. We will try and get at least 3 people who are interested in DIR and want to know more but don't have someone local to dive with, like a club, and meet up with them either somewhere on the south coast or at Vobster/NDAC and take them diving for a day/weekend.

This wouldn't be formal instruction but would be there to show people what the kit configuration is, demo some basic skills, talk through stuff in general and show people that we aren't demons who call everyone strokes. In effect, it would be something like a mini-DIRx gig but with 6 people instead of the 60 odd we should have at Stoney in the autumn.

This sort of thing already happens at a club level like Rich Walker's club and John Kendall's club but there isn't a 'club scene' like PADI or BSAC within the UK for DIR divers as you have to know someone to know when things are happening and it is sometimes daunting to make that first step. Consequently there are probably a few people who are out there who are interested but don't know what to do next and these are the people who I am writing to.

However, to make this happen we need to have people who are interested in seeing what DIR is all about and putting their names below. If we go to the south coast we can make a weekend of it, if we go to Vobster/NDAC, my house is 45mins from both and there is plenty of bed/floor space to use if you are travelling so not to worry on that front.

So, who's interested?

1. Gareth Wilson (gwilson) - work and dates dependent

Once we have some names we can then try and arrange some dates which are mutually acceptable.

If you want more info and don't want to post here, just PM me, Garf or Howard

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
we aren't demons who call everyone strokes
Aren't we? Not even a little bit?

·
Tonton Flaneur
649 Posts
1. Gareth Wilson (dates and work dependent)
2. ReikiMaster
3. Jimbob

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
when is this going to happen then ??

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2. ReikiMaster
3. Jimbob
4. lloydwatkin
5. lloydwatkin +1 (as long as it's a weekend)
6 Yazzyfooty (DIR curious) ooh sounds a bit like them funny personal ads!
7. JAG

We will see how this goes, but there is no reason why we can't run more that one session, so if you are interested add your name.

I will speak to the rest of the chimps and see what dates etc work out.

·
Registered
989 Posts
2. ReikiMaster
3. Jimbob
4. lloydwatkin
7. JAG
8. Fiona
9. Dangerous Dan (dates and work dependant)

Looking forward to it,

Cheers,

Dan

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
We're happy to break it down into 1 to 1s or 2 to 2s as well if we can't get everyone together for a three.

I'd suggest that Gareth, Howard and I have a think about what weekends we could do over the next two to three months as individuals and as a team, and then post the dates to let people choose the most convenient for them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Oooh me! Me! Me! (can't make the 'put my name on the list' thing work in this reply though. Is that a black mark against my name already for technological incompetence?)

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
I have emailed chimp HQ and asked them to come back with dates they could make. Once we have this information, we can move this forward. In the meantime, keep the names coming!

2. ReikiMaster
3. Jimbob
4. lloydwatkin
7. JAG
8. Fiona
10. Kanga

·
Registered
175 Posts
Looks like this might turn into a mini-gig anyway, so if you need any help with this let me know. I should be able to wangle a day-pass to get me south of Watford Gap again.:p

I'm also trying to start a regular get-together for the Stoney 1st & 3rd Wednesday nights, so if any-one's interested you're more than welcome.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
A 'friend' once expressed interest in trying this, but I (oops - he) wondered about the kit - if my standard equipment is Ok, then I'd like to give it a go

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
I'm up for this if you're doing it at NDAC or Vobster

2. ReikiMaster
3. Jimbob
4. lloydwatkin
7. JAG
8. Fiona
10. Kanga
11. NickB

1 - 20 of 102 Posts