YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been reading some old log books for dive sites around Skomer and in the same book are a couple of dives I wouldn't dream of doing now :wink: It isn't one of those "I learned about diving from......." but I thought I would share them with you for yours or my amusement :D

I'll start by saying that in August 1997 I was due to go on my first Redsea live aboard, they were quite basic back then but nothing would have kept me off that trip.

So 25th July 1997 dive 115 - I dived the Farnes and then treated for a bend.

4 weeks later and after seeing a medical referee the previous evening I drove up to Oban, at this time I used a 12ltr and a pony.

Breda 50mins - Depth 21.4m
Scallop dive - 35mins - Depth 29.4m - separated from buddies which worried them
Back Island - 31mins - Depth 30.6m

Less than 2 weeks later I am in the Redsea diving on a single cylinder presumably an Ali80.

First dive Shark Bay, 43mins - Depth 29.3m
Air in 185 wow that was a good fill
Air out 20ish :eek:

·
Apprentice houseplant
988 Posts
Yeah, I'd quite happily do those dives, though I'd be a bit unhappy about surfacing with 20bar remaining :)

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Oh the folly of youth. The Breda was my second open-water dive!

I even managed to stray inside it for 20 seconds or so before realising it might be wise to retreat.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't be fazed by the unclean, Fi, for they know not what they know not ;)
mal have u been drinking ? can u expand lol:teeth:
Leigh what Mal was referring to was that I was surfacing with only 20bar and I did say "ish" :) I will admit that before I did a recent course I would be quite happy to switch off my UK brain and switch on the holiday one. Mal and I had a discussion about it for the forthcoming trip. I was however only in a couple of metres of water, but I am not advocating.

What I did leave out was the medical ref automatically told me I with all probability that I did have a PFO and the next time I dived I could die and to do only very shallow dives. As you can see I did several 30m dives without incident, but I was worried for a time :)

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Leigh what Mal was referring to was that I was surfacing with only 20bar and I did say "ish" :) I will admit that before I did a recent course I would be quite happy to switch off my UK brain and switch on the holiday one. Mal and I had a discussion about it for the forthcoming trip. I was however only in a couple of metres of water, but I am not advocating.
Isn't that called carrying the correct equipment for the environment? :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts