YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the chance to buy a Halcyon Explorer wing for a good price but the thing is its the 55lb version,

Will this be too big for twin 12's?

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I've got the chance to buy a Halcyon Explorer wing for a good price but the thing is its the 55lb version,

Will this be too big for twin 12's?

Cheers,

Dan
Far be it from me to disagree with Clare, but I disagree with Clare.

The answer is no, a 55lb wing is not too big for twin 12's. I dived a twin bladder 60lb on twin 12's for years with no problems whatever.

Those inclined towards DIR would perhaps argue that a smaller 40lb wing would be more streamlined etc, but thousands of Uk divers dive wings of up to 100LB capacity very happily on twin 12's. As you posted this in a general forum I will assume you want this for general rather than DIR diving.

So will a 50lb wing be a good option for twin 12's? IMHO yes, especially if you intend using steel stages in due course.

If you have DIR leanings though it would be viewed as too big.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
It's more lift that you need for twin 12s but if you're likely to go to twin 18s or a heavy twin 12 with stages then you might want to consider it.

I have a 55lb wing with twin 12 heisers and am happy with it.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Far be it from me to disagree with Clare, but I disagree with Clare.

The answer is no, a 55lb wing is not too big for twin 12's. I dived a twin bladder 60lb on twin 12's for years with no problems whatever.

Those inclined towards DIR would perhaps argue that a smaller 40lb wing would be more streamlined etc, but thousands of Uk divers dive wings of up to 100LB capacity very happily on twin 12's. As you posted this in a general forum I will assume you want this for general rather than DIR diving.

So will a 50lb wing be a good option for twin 12's? IMHO yes, especially if you intend using steel stages in due course.

If you have DIR leanings though it would be viewed as too big.

But you willl look like this :D

There is a way round the problem of course, but bungees are not very DIR. They expect you to purchase three wings. Single & twin7s, twin 10s & twin 12s, twin 15s to twin 20s.

The 40 is a better choice for 12s but stick to small steel or small/large ali stages as a 40 is too small for heavy stages and heavy back tanks. Sure it works fine under water but it dosent suport on the surface well.

The 50 works fine with 12s but just looks daft.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
I've dived a 55lb Explorer with twin 7s and it honestly felt like I had nothing on my back. This streamlining thing is bullshit IMHO; it's all about looking cool (rule #6)

Having said that, I now use a 40lb Explorer 'cos I like to look cool; although I haven't fallen for the Emperor's new clothes thing and bought myself an Evolve :D

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i was thinking of going for the Frog Midnight but i think that has 50lb of lift

Oh Decisions, Decisions

Cheers,

Dan

·
Not so new member
174 Posts
Well i was thinking of going for the Frog Midnight but i think that has 50lb of lift

Oh Decisions, Decisions

Cheers,

Dan
I bought a 55lb Explorer and found it too big for twin 12 Fabers, I then bought a Frog Midnight and though only 10lb less lift is a much better 'fit'. I am more than happy with it - there is an Explorer for sale elsewhere on YD for £150 and Midnights are £160 brand new (and Mr Nakker was doing 10% off I think); you decide.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
The Midnight is a superb wing, well built and great value for money.

Initially I felt the corrigated hose was too short but got used to it and love it.

Davie.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Hi,

I used to dive with a 55lb wing on twin 12's but found that it was too wide which made it hard to dump all the gas from the wing. A 40lber is best.

Cheers,

Mark.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts

Oh Decisions, Decisions

Cheers,

Dan
Put one on top the other and you will notice hardly a diff in size.

The Midnight does have 50lb v the "other" has 40lb.

Lift is a kind of subjective thing tbh, although plenty of people will tell you all sorts of genuinely scientific reasons and formulae to calculate it.

What it comes down to is, the H wings were designed with US tanks in mind, the Frog wings were designed with "the world" in mind.

The 55 on 12's looks like a badly packed kebab, it will drag a bit v a 40lb Explorer. Fact. Sorry Nick.

Why do you think there are a load of 55's out there cheap ?

Despite all that you really want a donut wing not a horseshoe, therefore you have a choice of two.

Frog or the "other one" :D

Does that help ?

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
I bought a 55lb Explorer and found it too big for twin 12 Fabers, I then bought a Frog Midnight and though only 10lb less lift is a much better 'fit'. I am more than happy with it

This is exactly the same as I have done too. The Frog Midnight is a lovely wing. I much prefer it to my old explorer. I think it largely due to it being a donut wing instead of horseshoe so it's much easier to dump.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
frogs hey

sorry cant afford one but the wing ive got works fine with everything i strap on it and thats suposedly got enough lift for twin 18s and sides.

but then I just dive and dont worry about wot it looks like so long as its neet compact and tidy.
Fashion is always expensive. :teeth:

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
The 55 on 12's looks like a badly packed kebab, it will drag a bit v a 40lb Explorer. Fact. Sorry Nick.
A lot of the guys I've dived with have looked like a badly packed kebab!

Me and my current buddies, Gary excepted ;) are built like racing snakes though :D

·
Very Senior Member
1,908 Posts
quote from Halcyon.net....

"Explorer wings can be mated with either the Halcyon hard-coated aluminum or six pound stainless steel backplate, providing divers with a variety of weighting solutions. The 40 lbs. Explorer wings provide a minimalist approach to buoyancy where double aluminum 80s and a wetsuit are the rig of choice. The widely popular 55 lbs. Explorer wings are ideally suited for use with situations requiring additional lift such as with heavy double steel tanks."

So .... it looks like your ok with your steel 12s and a 55lb:angel:

·
UK GUE Instructor
1,448 Posts
"The widely popular 55 lbs. Explorer wings are ideally suited for use with situations requiring additional lift such as with heavy double steel tanks."

So .... it looks like your ok with your steel 12s and a 55lb:angel:
This refers to the oversized heavy double steels in the US such as the steel 104s and larger. These would be similar to uk twin 16s and greater. Although I dived my 104s in and Agir Brokk 38lb wing with no problem.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts