YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One for the forces types that lurk around these parts:

A WWII wreck that has been undisturbed for 65 years has naval shells in her hold. Are these likely to present a hazard to anyone entering the hold or should they be fine as long they are left down there? i.e no "look I found cheese down there so I brought some up" stupidity....

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts

A WWII wreck that has been undisturbed for 65 years has naval shells in her hold. Are these likely to present a hazard to anyone entering the hold or should they be fine as long they are left down there? i.e no "look I found cheese down there so I brought some up" stupidity....
I've always assumed that if I don't disturb it it won't disturb me. After 50 years it's unlikely to pick just the moment I'm passing to give up.

Unlike the idiot that bagged off 'one of those large oil drums' from the back of a Destroyer a few years ago. That makes phosphorous look positively benign.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Leave them alone and you should be fine, the problems really start when you bring the stuff up and it dries out.
Even then you would be OK 99.9% of the time, its just the consequence of the 0.1% when it goes bang. Getting old munitions to go off when you want them to and not when you don't want them to is a fine art.

Simon

·
Registered
37 Posts
Explosives react when they are getting hotter , they will explode at temperature , so left in cold 65m they should live there for a long time , look at the thistlegorm . regards

·
Registered
411 Posts

1) Explosive = Hazard to human
2) Propulsive charge = cordite most likely wet and low risk even if disturbed
3) Payload = inert or potentially high explosive with timing or impact sensitive mechanism
4) High Explosive still very effective - only the cordite needs to be dried :angel:

If you are going to dive on military wrecks there is likely to be some explosive around, if you dont touch it then statistically it is unlikely to go bang in the duration of your dive - but dont come crying to me if it does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts