YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hi All
Just got my hands on a second hand set of CD twinning bands (to replace the Buddy ones currently in use holding my twins against my Tekwing), and after a quick e-mail to CD, they tell me, if I want to use them with my ABS backplate (can't yet afford the s/s one), I'll need an extended bolt kit (at £14+). Without sounding tight, can I source the M8 200mm bolts from my local hardware store? I already have all the nuts etc, so don't need to replace those, so it seems a bit of an expense just for the bolts.
Any suggestions?
Cheers
Martin

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]can I source the M8 200mm bolts from my local hardware store?
<span =''>

No. The stainless steel they sell in DIY stores isn't marine-grade. They'll rust in no time when a diver uses them.
(Trust me - that's the voice of experience)
Nip down to the local chandlers, and buy the bolts from THEM. They'll be proper rustproof ones.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Hi Dominic
Thanks for that - just bought two of M8 x 375mm (will obviously need cutting down!), which comes with 4 x nuts & washers. I assume I can use the mushroom heads from the original bolt set?
Secondly, I assume I'll be able to use the harness from the TekWing with a s/s backplate when I get one, or would I be much better off replacing it all with new?
Regards
Martin

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I got my SS studding and nuts from Screw Fix they went dull after about 60 dives but didnt rust per sea.

Did the job and cost about £5

Mark Chase

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Secondly, I assume I'll be able to use the harness from the TekWing with a s/s backplate when I get one, or would I be much better off replacing it all with new?
<span =''>

Well, you probably COULD use it.. Personally, I carved mine up for spares and bought some better webbing. The Buddy stuff was just too soft and flexible for my liking, it tangled itself into knots

1 - 5 of 5 Posts