YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I wonder if anyone can give me any info regarding TDI Extended Range, I believe that the concept of deep diving on air is being phased out and to that end, E.R. may be scrapped in the future.
The current recommendation is generally to omit ER and go from Advanced Nitrox/Deco procedures (current course) straight to entry level trimix. What I want to know is whether people have had any problems crossing straight over and did they feel that they had missed anything crucially important. The prerequisite for entry level trimix includes Advanced Nitrox and Deco procedures but NOT Extended Range.

I am planning to go straight to entry level trimix and skip extended range but I am open to suggestions as to why I should in fact do Extended Range.

Comments/suggestions welcome.

· Registered
256 Posts
From my little understanding, the main skills would have been taught on your adv nx/deco course and most of the rest is theory. Like you I have just passed the adv/deco and my plan is to spend a couple of seasons practicing the skills and then, when I feel competent, go straight for the trimix for times I want to dive below 40. This is probably where the DIR boys have it right, seperate the fundemental skills into a course unto itself. After finishing my deco I was told by my instructor he was happy with my skills and would have no trouble if I did my trimix, but then at £700 he would. So I will wait but skip extended range as I have no intentions going to deep without trimix.

Good luck

Neil

· Registered
11 Posts
dont bother giving your money away, extended range is a waste of time when you can go straight onto a trimix course and do all your deep diving with a clear head ie a lot less panic if you have a snag at depth. It worked for me safe diving

· Registered
781 Posts
Personally I would not bother with ERD. I'm deco trained but have done 60+ on air (not nescssrily recommended but a good wreck.) I hope to do normoxic in the coming spring & consider ERD to be no more than a cheap excuse for pushing what I already do. I guess it largely depends upon what you want. My current buddy did the lusitania on air in the late 80's but at the time it was the standard. I wouldn't & i guess he wouldn't now.

good luck g.

· Registered
18,471 Posts
Would the people who reply to this thread please note that a) it was posted in 2002 and b) it was posted by Anne-Marie - now mainly resident in the Rebreather forum. I suspect your answers are not particularily relevant, and Anne-Marie will have now formed her own, very strong views! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.