YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone know any decent ways to extend the range from a WiFi Router? I am looking to extend it by about 20m. It is a BT router.

Thanks for any responses in advance.

·
13.05.2012 QPRmageddon Day
1,948 Posts
I bought a Netgear Wi-Fi extender which just piggy backs the signal further around the house.
There are also the type which uses the electrical circuits in your home to extend the range.
Try Amazon and type in wi fi extenders and then read the reviews to decide which one might suit you best.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone know any decent ways to extend the range from a WiFi Router? I am looking to extend it by about 20m. It is a BT router.

Thanks for any responses in advance.
I recently had same query for my outbuilding. There is a device you can plug into the mains and as long as same main circuit it you have another device plugged in locally and it acts as a repeater. You can use it with an costing one or replace it - often better to buy new because of the speed and error correction improvements.

My solution was to bin the idea and buy a MiFi box for £20 that takes a SIM chip and provides wifi whereever i am that has a 3G signal. Great on trains in the car at the lake etc.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Simple answer is to buy a wi-fi extender. We have one in the warehouse (Netgear WN2000RPT) and it has a very decent range (100m+) I found it easy to install and I'm no IT person. You can buy them cheap at Maplins.

I'm sure there are other models/units that will do the job. Most people tend to think you should buy the same brand as the wi-fi card in the PC - we found this to be the best with the Netgear stuff as we can get full WPA2 - the old Belkin PC card only runs WPA with the same set up. (If you run less than WPA dont!!)

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
That's a good price!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I wanted to get wi-fi in my garden and looked at repeaters, in the end I moved the router to a more convienent position. Total cost £nil. ;)

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
I just bought an Apple AirPort Extreme. Had to put a password on it to stop people up the road piggybacking on it! It's in my office and works anywhere in the house including the servant's wing (where I live!).

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
I have a BT Home Hub 2 (black and curved, not rounded) which has poor coverage.

I added a Netgear range extender, which at first we used as a simple repeater, but this didn't really do what I wanted it to, so instead I invested in some network-over-mains gear and then re-configured the range extender to act as an access point from the wired (via mains) network to wireless. If you set the SSID and password to match the original router, you should get seemless shifting from one to the other.

TBH, the plugs are pretty amazing, albeit not cheap. We have the BT HH in the lounge (at one end of the house), connected to the TV, XBox, Raspberry Pi and the mains networking plug. We then have a network plug feeding a 4 port switch in the study that runs the big PC, NAS box, and provides occasional hardwired network for the laptops. The range extender is in the dining room at the other end of the house, connected to the network plug and that's it.

I get full wireless coverage in almost all of the house and garden, except the detached garage and our bedroom, which is about 10ft away from the garage...

Next move will be another network plug and another range extender in the garage (having already verified that the network plug works out there!)

In terms of useability, wireless is pretty good for toys like phones and laptops. Serious stuff like media streaming or gaming requires wired network at 100Mb/s or upwards. Remember though, the internet line into your gaff is probably only 52Mb/s max with fibre optic broadband, so not much point using cat6 network cabling or mega-fast plugs unless it's for streaming / gaming on your internal network...

You should be using a minimum of WPA and I would suggest WPA2, using "strong" alphanumeric passwords. The other good thing to do if you are a bit more technical is to disable the DHCP server in your router and manually assign IP addresses on a permenant basis. This means that visitors or new devices will need setting up on the router (via a network connected PC or phone) rather than just giving them the password, but it is a lot safer.

Finally, FFS, remember to change the passwords on your router / home hub / network range extender and do NOT use the same one as the network password!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
you can hack a wep key in less than 5 min with a strong signal and i have done thins on my home network to check. This is with free software available on the internet and a few lines of commands.
wpa hacking takes a lot lot longer and can only be done by brute force meaning every password combination has to be tried until one works, in practical terms this is impossible if you use uppercase lower case and numbers with no proper words

for extending the network we have the things you plug into the wall think we got them free from bt when we upgraded to bt vision they seem to work well

·
High on Cotol fumes ;-)
255 Posts
Get a cheap Cisco Aironet from eBay, it'll flood your neighbourhood, make your hair fall out and you can brew a cuppa if you stand close enough!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
You've clearly not looked and spouted off a new unit price..........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Correct - I clicked your link and completed your post for you.

If you want people to follow your link to e-bay then why not provide it?

You took the time to be rude - why not take the time to be helpful instead?

Matt.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've just bought one of these to use while I'm away

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006PYGWG6/ref=mp_s_a_1?pi=SL75&qid=1350117937&sr=8-1

It has a wireless extender mode but i havn't tried it. I the wireless AP mode seems to work perfectly. If you do get one make sure you by direct from Amazon as for about £20 as the cheaper ones appear to be Chinese with no English manual and all the setup Web page (similar to a normal router) is also in Chinese. I have the same goes for most of the cheap ones in ebay

Chris

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 21 Posts