YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lady friend of mine and fellow diver has just completed a CELTA course. That's Cambridge English Language Training Association (I think). Anyway it allows you to teach English to foreign students. More importantly it allows her to be gainfully employed in Oman.
Only downside is she is from Barnsley......give it 6 months and we will have Omanis walking around saying:-

Ey up chuck, sithee.
I'll go t'foot of our stairs.
By gum

etc, etc.......

Yorkshire, it's talking over the world tha' knows!

Neil

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another thought......

The students have exams where they look at a picture and have to write about what is going on. Then the papers are sent to Cambridge for marking. Will the markers know what the Omanis mean when the picture is a nice sunny day and they write......

Ay, it's reet grand day

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
A lady friend of mine and fellow diver has just completed a CELTA course. That's Cambridge English Language Training Association (I think). Anyway it allows you to teach English to foreign students. More importantly it allows her to be gainfully employed in Oman.
Only downside is she is from Barnsley......give it 6 months and we will have Omanis walking around saying:-

Ey up chuck, sithee.
I'll go t'foot of our stairs.
By gum

etc, etc.......

Yorkshire, it's talking over the world tha' knows!

Neil
i'm sure us ladies do not talk like that from barnsley,

well maybe just a little bit after a few pints lol:embarassed:

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Regional accents damn you.
Shaw wrote that 'an Englishman only has to open his mouth to make another Englishman despise him'.

I have one of the worst.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts