YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was up in Eyemouth with my Club over the weekend. On Saturday night we went for a Curry in Eyemouth. In walked about 20 people, I saw a face i recognised off the boards it was Leigh(Dive Buddah).
I built up the courage to ask if the group were from YD to be met by a rousing YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!
What a friendly bunch of people and although introduced to most people i can not remember everyone that was there. I have always been a bit unsure about booking on YD trips etc for the fear of not knowing anyone(I'm a bit shy:angel: )
but i don't know what i was worried about i really don't. What a great bunch and if anyone has similar feelings i can assure you there is no need to worry whatsoever. My friends and i were made instantly welcome which has prompted a couple to ask me for details on how to access the boards.
Thanks guys it was good to put faces to names and i shall not hesitate to get my name down for any trips that i might fancy doing in the future.
Hope you all had a good evening and enjoyed your Curry hope to see you all again.
P.S. Leigh we saw you driving home along the A1 yesterday we waved but you seemed to be in a world of your own:teeth: . Hope you got home safe and well.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sunday was not a good day for me. I was looking after a novice who could unfortunatley not equalize and although we ascended several times to resolve the problem it reappeared everytime we got to about 13M prompting another ascent to about 6M to sort it. After the 4th attempt it was clear that it wasn't going to resolve so 14M Max depth Dive time 6 Min including safety stop. Oh well at least i got to pactice an assisted ascent:angel:

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Looks like you've just started our trip report Daz!

It was lovely to meet you and your mates. I seem to recall we cleared the curry house :redface: but everyone had an absolutely fantastic time over the weekend.

Day One

I arrived over the Border 1pm on Friday to be met by a bank of fog just before Eyemouth. However, once in Eyemouth it was quite clear and I did a fantastic shore dive at Eyemouth Gulley (it has a proper name - I'll look it up when I get home) with StuP, Dicky and Dive Buddha. I'll post the details later.

Once back at the Harbourside (can't fault the accommodation, it's great) a few more people had arrived so Iain of Marine Quest took eight of us out on the North Star, which was always a good boat but is now even better with the addition of a lift. Diving were me, KeyLimePie, The Goat, Yazzyfooty, Dive Buddha, Bantam, StuP and Dicky.

We dived at Wuddy Rocks and had a really good mooch around in cracking viz, and also found and interesting swim through that looked like the entrance to a cave with a shale bank until you swam up a bit and saw the light appear at the other end. Again, more details once I get home

I'll post more about 'Day One in the YD Household' later, but I can't stress enough what a FANTASTIC weekend we all had. What a great bunch of people :teeth:

Helen xxx

EDIT:

Dive Data:

Eyemouth Gulley

Dive Time 55 mins
Max Depth 12.4m
Temp 12 degrees

Wuddy Rocks

Dive Time 67 mins
Max Depth 14.8m
Ave Depth 9.5m
Temp 11.3 degrees

A big thanks to Amanda at Scoutscroft for staying up late to fill our tanks in preperation for the next day's diving.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
hi ya daz ! yes it was a pleasure to meet up with ya all at the weekend and yes driving home i had to stop off at the services in washington for a long kip as i was shattered !! so appologies if i missed ya !

was very strange how i was the one u spotted first !!! :teeth:

·
Registered
9,720 Posts

It was lovely to meet you and your mates. I seem to recall we cleared the curry house :redface: but everyone had an absolutely fantastic time over the weekend.

I arrived over the Border 1pm on Friday to be met by a bank of fog just before Eyemouth. However, once in Eyemouth it was quite clear and I did a fantastic shore dive at Eyemouth Gulley (it has a proper name - I'll look it up when I get home) with StuP, Dicky and Dive Buddha. I'll post the details later.

Once back at the Harbourside (can't fault the accommodation, it's great) a few more people had arrived so Ian of Marine Quest took eight of us out on the North Star, which was always a good boat but is now even better with the addition of a lift. Diving were me, KeyLimePie, The Goat, Yazzyfooty, Dive Buddha, Bantam, StuP and Dicky.

We dived at Wuddy Rocks and had a really good mooch around in cracking viz, and also found and interesting swim through that looked like the entrance to a cave with a shale bank until you swam up a bit and saw the light appear at the other end. Again, more details once I get home

I'll post more about 'Day One in the YD Household' later, but I can't stress enough what a FANTASTIC weekend we all had. What a great bunch of people :teeth:

Helen xxx
day 3 in the y-d hoose (geordy accent lol) im still laughing about bantams accent although he did a better one than me !! helen i loved doing the gully love was so ace ! and if i never dive again i would relish that hour with u 3 the weekend was just so good i cant even explain how happy i felt when i left even if i was a little tired !

entrance to the gully !

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
:thumbsup: Helen,

I've done that swim through, on 2nd Jan a couple of years ago. Its a lovely little circuit. We went in the narrower entrance to the left as you look at the land. It rises up to a few metres from the surface and then drops into a harbour of sorts. We followed the wall on our right and came to another narrow. It has large red stone pebbles on the botton which are in waves. As there was a little surge we used the waves of pebbles to to get out of the inrush and floated out on its return. We did it twice as it was so good. There are a few nice swim throughs at Abbs. The letter box, in Peticowick bay is nice, and I'd love to do the hole half way between Abbs and Peticowick bay (not sure of its name) again.

I've also not done the Cathedral either. :(

Dave C

EDIT. I've just seen Dive Budda's pic.

My favourite dive there is to enter the water on the right, at the end of the concerite path (mid tide), low tide is too shallow, and swim round to the inlet on the left, to where the sets are in the picture. Its a lovely place and we used to head down there after work in the summer.

·
You dir'ty ole' man!!!!!
2,437 Posts
Isn't the gulley called something like Weazle Loch!!!

Sounds like you all had a great time, Weather at the Farnes was very changeable.

Graham

Day One

Once back at the Harbourside (can't fault the accommodation, it's great) a few more people had arrived so Ian of Marine Quest took eight of us out on the North Star, which was always a good boat but is now even better with the addition of a lift. Diving were me, KeyLimePie, The Goat, Yazzyfooty, Dive Buddha, Bantam, StuP and Dicky.

Helen xxx

·
Flaccid Member
5,410 Posts
Small world?

I was up there yesterday for a couple of dives, but as I've yet to meet any of the yder's that were up there, I failed to recognise anyone :embarassed:

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Helen,

I've done that swim through, on 2nd Jan a couple of years ago. Its a lovely little circuit. We went in the narrower entrance to the left as you look at the land. It rises up to a few metres from the surface and then drops into a harbour of sorts. We followed the wall on our right and came to another narrow. It has large red stone pebbles on the botton which are in waves. As there was a little surge we used the waves of pebbles to to get out of the inrush and floated out on its return. We did it twice as it was so good. There are a few nice swim throughs at Abbs. The letter box, in Peticowick bay is nice, and I'd love to do the hole half way between Abbs and Peticowick bay (not sure of its name) again.

I've also not done the Cathedral either. :(

Dave C
Not sure if it's the same one Dave - this one was completely underwater? Re the other one, are you thinking of Tyes Tunnel? You drop down into that one from the surface.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts

Sounds like you all had a great time, Weather at the Farnes was very changeable.

Graham
No Weezle Loch is on the other (north) side of the town/river/beach, behind the campsite I think, on the way to Abbs. If you look north on the beach you can see the old horn. Its on the other side of that off the cliffs. There is a nice wooden stair to it.

Dave C

·
Registered
249 Posts

Graham
That particular Gully is on the South side of Eyemouth harbour it's Called Green end or Nest end reef, depending on which gully you drop into.
Weazel loch is on the North side of the harbour and is better dived from a boat due to the nasty scramble down the cliff face.

Stu

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
That particular Gully is on the South side of Eyemouth harbour it's Called Green end or Nest end reef, depending on which gully you drop into.
Weazel loch is on the North side of the harbour and is better dived from a boat due to the nasty scramble down the cliff face.

Stu
ive posted a pic stu ! although dont have time to resize it lol

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Not sure if it's the same one Dave - this one was completely underwater? Re the other one, are you thinking of Tyes Tunnel? You drop down into that one from the surface.
Yes Tyes Tunnel is half way between Abbs and Peticowick bay.

It is Woody rocks Helen. The dive we did didn't come upto the surface either, just very near it. I looked for it on the map of Abbs (available on the Abbs website) after the dive we did there. I have a nice write up in my logbook, with a drawing of the right swim though, (which lookes quite rude).

Dave C

·
You dir'ty ole' man!!!!!
2,437 Posts

Stu
The one with about 9 million steps getting down to it. I did my Advanced Open Water Padi training there many moons ago.

Great little Jellyfish in there, with little lights running up and down them.

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
I was up in Eyemouth with my Club over the weekend. On Saturday night we went for a Curry in Eyemouth. In walked about 20 people, I saw a face i recognised off the boards it was Leigh(Dive Buddah).
I built up the courage to ask if the group were from YD to be met by a rousing YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!
What a friendly bunch of people and although introduced to most people i can not remember everyone that was there. I have always been a bit unsure about booking on YD trips etc for the fear of not knowing anyone(I'm a bit shy:angel: )
but i don't know what i was worried about i really don't. What a great bunch and if anyone has similar feelings i can assure you there is no need to worry whatsoever. My friends and i were made instantly welcome which has prompted a couple to ask me for details on how to access the boards.
Thanks guys it was good to put faces to names and i shall not hesitate to get my name down for any trips that i might fancy doing in the future.
Hope you all had a good evening and enjoyed your Curry hope to see you all again.
P.S. Leigh we saw you driving home along the A1 yesterday we waved but you seemed to be in a world of your own:teeth: . Hope you got home safe and well.
Ooops sorry for the very large size of image I will get the hang of image insertion one day. This is Daz and his mate Nathan with StuP. Great to meet you and your fellow divers Daz.

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
Did we dive? Yes!

Salty Sea Dogg, Stu P, Robin, KeyLimePie, The Goat, Moz,Dive Buddah, Eeeyore,Bungee Babe, SilvaFish & Bantam

And here is a pic of Right said Fred who joined us for the weekend.

There are a few other pics but will only be shown or not shown depending on the amount of the donation to the RNLI fund :teeth:

Its so good to be the keeper of the camera as you are rarely the other side of the lens!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts