YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi All,

anyone know where I can get hold of an Fa&Mi torch other than from Denny Diving?

I'd seen these lamps, picked out the one I wanted  - hand held (compact for travel) HID, 50W equiv with flood reflector and 4 hr burn - ordered it in early April and have just been told that they can't get them.  The manuafcturer (in Italy) still makes them but will only sell to trade.

If anyone knows of where else to get them please let me know, otherwise I'll have to buy an airticket to Italy, then the wife and kids will want to come along too and it'll cost me a bloody fortune!!

Cheers, John

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Bristol channel diving services.

029 20 464846

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ July 28 2003,17:01)]John

Did you get your Fa&Mi torch? If so, what do you think of it so far?

Adrian
Like Adrian says,  any joy John ?

I have also been speaking with James from Submerge recently (UK distributor)  a real nice guy and very helpful.  Might be able to dig out his details if anyone is interested.

I have 2 fa&mi torches, both going strong (the first one despite some severe handling !!).  I also know of 4 other users and I have yet to hear of a problem with the torches (apart from one flood due to incorrect reassembly - wet connectors are a option to avoid this).

Personally I would recommend them.

Daz

·
Registered
31 Posts
Imported post

Hi.
i also own one a 2004 which can either be hand held or umbilicle had one small prob with it.The switch for these torches are magnetic and the small magnet in the plastic housing rusted making it non magnetic however to there credit it was fixed within a week theyve now modified the switch and filled the magnet housing with resin.Hope that helps
     Nikk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Nik / Daz / Adrian,

sorry it's taken awhile for me to reply; been away diving (2 weeks in Thailand).

Not got a torch yet.  Problem is that what I'm realy looking for is one of the HID handhelds (2001 or the new multistar) with a flood rather than a pencil beam.  This is an option (according to the Fa & Mi site) but seems to be like rocking horse Sh%t whenyou try to find one.

To be fair to Bristol divers they did quote but it was about 100 quid more than the standard and they weren't sure how long it would take.

Other problem is I live i Saudi so it all has to be done via mail order.  I've tried to get in touch with Fa & Mi but they will not sell direct, and the only store in Italy (Fa & Mi home ground) doesn't take creit cards (!) and will not export anyway.

Still on the hunt.

Cheers,  John

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JohnR @ July 28 2003,18:51)]I've tried to get in touch with Fa & Mi but they will not sell direct, and the only store in Italy (Fa & Mi home ground) doesn't take creit cards (!) and will not export anyway.
Sounds like they don't really want to sell them John.

Thanks for the reply.

Adrian

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I think to the rason why they will not sell direct is beacause they want to build up regional distribution which does make sense from the point of returns and support etc.

With regard to the other comment regarding pencil or flood, there are other HID torches that are focussable such as the greenforce units.

I have heard recently of issues with the supplies of FA&MI torches and I think I might have discovered the reason behind it...  They are rumoured to have some new units in production that are quite different from the older ones (I guess that is the multistar range ??) and offer user replaceble reflectors etc for different flood patterns.  

I think they are winding down the old production and subsequently some units are difficult to get hold of.  Also it is worth noting John that the old slim units were not user changable on the flood as the reflector was a one piece unit with the bulb.  So your choice of 18%, 90% etc is pretty fixed for the ownership.

If you are still interested in the FA&MI torches I should have more info in the next week or so when the UK distributer returns from a trip to the factory.  I will post my findings and see whether they can supply to meet your requirements  John.

Daz

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Daz,

thanks for the info. It all makes sense in a strange kinda way.

Yes, still interested - they look the dogs, and I like the HID output / battery life. If you can come up with contact info for the distributor I'd appreciate it - I did e-mail Fa & Mi directly asking for a list of distributors / stockists but got no joy.

I looked at the greenforce HID hand-helds but got the impression that they were all pencil beams.  Do they make a flood version, or is this just in the umbilical range?

Cheers,  John

·
Registered
117 Posts
Imported post

I had a fa & mi ray. It was utter garbage. Sent it back 5 times in 18 months - to their credit it was repaired quickly and for free every time. Cost about £160 and not worth a penny of it. Charger crapped it twice, magnetic switch rusted twice - I mean is it just me or is a ferric metal switch exposed to seawater a fairly poor design feature? The glass lens at the front scratches too easily, it went through 3 bulbs in about 100 dives, and you can't switch it on within 25 minutes of charging or the bulb blows - something fa & mi admitted after I'd owned it for 6 months and sent it back 3 times. And once the resistor melted or some other such.... Burn time great, light quality fine but just plain doesn't mix with seawater. I chucked it off a boat near anglesey the sixth time it broke.
Could just have been a bad batch? Maybe, but I thought I'd warn you of my experience anyway.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Got a FaMi 2001 umbillical HID - 4 hour burn and same for charge - lovely bit of kit on the whole. Only slight problem I had was I noticed the lead between the battery and head was starting to crack and split - worrying after only a couple of times in salt water. It seemed to be in the area that had once had a sticky plastic factory label on it - took it back to my shop (Croxley Divers) and they replaced the lead there and then. Since then no worries. Id recommend it.

Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts