YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
I've recently joined a networking site called facebook due to receiving a bundle of invites from friends. I've just joined a scuba diving group and almost pissed myself after the first "discussion" was "How many dives have you done?" and read this response....

Photo removed
Post #3
1 reply

Link removed (Pittsburgh) wrote on May 3, 2007 at 8:56 PM
Certified OW, AOW, Nitrox, Deep, Boat in the first week of March. I need to run one wreck penetration with my instructor and I'll be wreck too.

Thus far I have 24 dives, planning at least 40-50 dives over the summer. I'm hooked.

Class....

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Si,

Thats excellent, :D green incoming.

I wonder if there is a typing error and 3 should read as 13 or 23 or 30

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I must say I was just the same when I first learned to dive, wanted to be an instructor the lot, its the PADI way.
Now I have realised, work all week, and dive for fun.
Ken

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow, he does sound enthusiastic... I hope he doesn’t join this forum and read this though. That'll make him feel great I’m sure.

Maybe he could do with some friendly advice instead of ridicule?

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
So OW = 4
AOW = 5
Nitrox if he did dives with it = 2
Deep = 4
Boat = 2
Wreck = 4 (1 remaining so has completed 3.)

So that's 20 dives training. Meaning a grand total of 4 dives without an instructor. So in reality this person has done the total of 4 "fun" dives without being part of a course.

No doubt he's keen but that's kind of scary. Really wish PADI had a number of dives required between qualifications in the way BSAC do.

Suspect the guys obvious interest and love of diving may have been better utilised by getting him just diving, for fun without being part of a course to get some experience.

The above isn't rare though.

·
Top Bloke
2,674 Posts
Or if he didn't do the Nitrox dives and did wreck and boat on his AOW he may have actually done 10 non-training or "fun" dives.
A lot also depends on the type of dives, depths, length, viz etc. etc.

I have seem people with hundreds of logged dives who have no idea at all. The guy is keen to learn so we should not really knock him.

·
I like my login so much I put my name on it...
1,451 Posts
Facebook is addictive :embarassed: and you're not fueling an evil empire by using it unlike some other sites ;)

Go on tell him about a new awesome (and made up) course, maybe he'll come over to take the course with a top diving expert :redface:

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Or if he didn't do the Nitrox dives and did wreck and boat on his AOW he may have actually done 10 non-training or "fun" dives.
Possible but the way its worded i doubt it. "Deep" mandatory for AOW as adventure dive, could have done boat as an option but he'd surely have mentioned his 3rd "speciality" for it but doesnt. Leads me to believe deep and boat were done outside AOW.

·
Bashing head against brick wall
2,105 Posts
Idiot?

I don't really understand why he deserves the moniker? Presumably he's just started diving and has been bitten by the bug. He may go on to do 50 more dives in a year, which would actually be a reasonable total for someone who has to pay through the nose for the privilege (I don't believe BSAC are well represented in the US of A), and if he doesn't where's the harm in his fantasy?

Not all dive gods are created, some of us have to learn how to dive!

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Give him a break guys. Most of the Scuba groups on Facebook are
populated by the US and the average age is around the 20 mark with a
massive number of Uni/College students.

If you are just starting out, getting double figures almost looks like a
veteran, getting 100 makes you feel like yoda.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
.....and who's not to say that he did all the dives while he had two week holiday. Now the holiday is over and he has a pile of training under his belt he will go away and pracise everything he has learnt.

We all have to start somewhere........

.....for me it was snorkle training in Ulswater!

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
.....and who's not to say that he did all the dives while he had two week holiday. Now the holiday is over and he has a pile of training under his belt he will go away and pracise everything he has learnt.
How much of it will he actually remember though if he's had all that new and exciting knowledge crammed into his head?

Will he go away from that week thinking "I have lots of diving qualifications and can dive anywhere at any depth up to my cert level level in any conditions!" When in reality it's generally better to do the course, learn the knowledge and skills, then go away and practice / consolidate them in real life.

Could just be that he's the gullible victim of a dive school suggesting all the courses under the sun?

I hope he does go and do lots of diving and enjoys himself.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Have to say, I can't see anything funny in his post at all. He's obviously really keen and enthusiastic, why on earth would we take the **** out of someone for that! Wish I had that many dives planned in the next few months :frown:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Have to say, I can't see anything funny in his post at all. He's obviously really keen and enthusiastic, why on earth would we take the **** out of someone for that! Wish I had that many dives planned in the next few months :frown:

Well said, at least he has taken training. We all have to remember that the US is a place where you pay for everything and the training badge mentality is prevelent in all parts of US life from schooling and hobbies to work and religion.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts