YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Sorry to hear that mate - still, better to know now and you can get something done about it. Taking our membership as a whole, statistically over 200 of us are in the same boat except WE don't know it. Keep us updated with your progress etc.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Bad luck Doug, still I assume its fixable and you can then get diving again, better that than dropping dead. Hope the fix takes place soon and goes well.

Matt

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Same message from me Doug, very bad luck.  We have someone at our club who had one fixed, she dives without any problems even deep dives as she has done the trimix course.

So go for it and be back diving soon.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

I've been totally pi&&ed of all day even though i know it's for the best.  As soon as my DR gets the letter from Wilmshurst, i can start hassling him.  I find it strange that a potentially life threatening (in diving) PFO won't be looked for until after you've had a potentially life threatening bend.  After talking to the Doc yesterday, It's made me think about all the times i could have come unstuck without knowing it,  If it wasn't for my bend in November i would be off doing 60/70 metre stuff this weekend, none the wiser. Cheers.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

My condolences Doug - but remember that everyone's got one at birth, and about 1 in 5 don't totally seal. Some of these are worth fixing, some are far easier/safer doing a diving time/depth restriction.
?Your carcass has survived how many years?
Apart from blowing pressurised bubbles, knowing about it not's going to affect your way/quality of life.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Imported post

I am sorry to hear of your predicament Doug.

What is medically involded in cure, an operation I assume? Will you be able to dive after operation?

Could you repost the circumstances of your dive which led to the bend in the first place.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imported post

November 17th, last year.  Dived on the Medoc out of Plymouth, planned the dive on Proplanner, dived the plan, No problems during the dive, done my stops, profile was fine. Got back into the boat, waited for the other 2 to surface, helped them into the boat, had a cup of tea and a ***. Came back into the harbour. Got our kit off the boat, stood around talking shite for half an hour while we arranged our next dive and then went home. Because of where i live it only takes me 10 minutes to get home from the harbour, halfway home i noticed a niggle in my left shoulder and by the time i got onto my drive i knew it was definately a bend ( i don't do denial ), i picked up another can of 80% on the way past my garage and asked my wife to phone DDRC, i went straight up there and they confirmed my bend.  This was all within 2 hours of getting out of the water. By the time i got to DDRC the pain was unbelievable in my left shoulder with slightly less in my right groin, right knee. I'd lost the feeling in my left forearm, my right leg was dragging, slurred speech, generally confused, balance and co-ordination had left the building. They slung me in the pot, 6 hours later (2 extentions) i  was out. Slight pain, slightly confused, still didn't pass the neurological tests but a definate improvement ( not that i remember any of it) so they let me go home. A week of 2 treatments a day with the non divers followed and by Thursday i felt nearly normal. I've been diving since but after the Shrewsbury shock i've decided to leave it until after the operation. If i knew then what i know now. Doug.
PS. I didn't post the incident previously because i'd only just joined YD and thought this forum might be the same as Divernet= Full of armchair flaming Hypocrites. Wrong.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hell Doug, those were serious symptoms, I feel like a fraud all I had was pins and needles in my feet and fingers.  I was worried enough but I think myself lucky I didn't have your problems, I probably would never have got back in the water.  Like you I had to wait quite a long time for NHS test, July - February, but I did have one done privately in between.

As I said previously someone at our club dives after having one repaired, so just think about your next dive its not that far away.  Best wishes Fiona

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Imported post

A bend is a bend no matter how trivial.  I didn't think i would ever get bent.  Just shows how easy it can be.  At least i'm doing the whole diving experience, not just playing at it.  Just as i'd seen the light as well, that was my last dive as a stroke.  By the time i next get in the water i'll be a trainee.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts