YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any reason why I shouldn't wash the salt water off my kit by soaking the kit, wiping the kit over with soapy water and then give it a dunking in some unsoapy water.

I can't imagine there would be but I feel it's worth asking the voice of experience/internet/majority so I can see all the supporting and opposing views scientific or otherwise.

Any other concoctions that may or may not help with the cleaning of scuba kit.... I heard something about a few drops of vinegar holding some potential benefits also, being slightly acidic and helping dissolve possible mineral deposits.

Cheers

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
A bit of Milton fluid in water is good for cleaning the inside of your wing/bcd.

Other than that, warm fresh water does the job for the rest of my stuff.

Reactions: emdiesse

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I'll just stick to plain old tepid water to wash the kit and look at using a milton tablet in the wing bladder and the regs (whilst attached to cylinder with pressure on rather than soaking with just dust caps attached since they are just splash proof). I don't feel so worried about the idea of pathogens, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all that, but maybe for the sake of keeping kit well maintained it seems a sensible option not to grow cultures in them. I guess it's possibly not too great to be directly breathing possible spores

·
16,005 Posts
Ok, I'll just stick to plain old tepid water to wash the kit and look at using a milton tablet in the wing bladder and the regs (whilst attached to cylinder with pressure on rather than soaking with just dust caps attached since they are just splash proof). I don't feel so worried about the idea of pathogens, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all that, but maybe for the sake of keeping kit well maintained it seems a sensible option not to grow cultures in them. I guess it's possibly not too great to be directly breathing possible spores
Those spores are potentially fatal. There was an incident in the last year or so, where a guy had to breathe off his bcd and ended up in hospital (and eventually dying) from an infection he picked up from the spores inside the bag. :(

And you can buy reg caps with little o-rings in, so that you can immerse your first stage in water :)

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Any reason why I shouldn't wash the salt water off my kit by soaking the kit, wiping the kit over with soapy water and then give it a dunking in some unsoapy water.
Yes, it is a waste of washing up liquid, water will do, it is good at disolving salt...

As for mineral deposits... A years build up on the reg internals can be removed in a sonic bath with a pint of warm water and a teaspoon if citric acid crystals...

No need for constant cleaning, dive, rinse, dump, drink beer...

Don't soak your regs in Milton, there is no need, all you will do is perish the rubber bits quicker, maybe once a year a very dilute solution can be rinsed through the BC bladder but there is no need to get carried away, if you want to get carried away try a antibac called Trigene....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's not so good, now milton sounds far more appealing. I suppose, in moderation some of the bad stuff helps built our immunity. However, directly breathing them doesn't align with our 'RDA' of spores.

I have the o-ring variety caps for my regs, but I'm not sure I trust them enough to bring myself to submerging my regs for a little soak. Perhaps I am misguided here :). My plan, now I have my tanks is to set everything up and chuck it all in a bin fin of fresh water and then a quick hose/wipe down before hanging it all to dry.

I'm starting to think I should get a water butt out in the garden so I don't have to fill a bin up with water to soak my kit, it feels a little wasteful to fill a bin up with tap water :(

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, cheers all. My aim is to make my kit last and to look after it so it looks after me... and my wallet :)

I'll just soak in some water and give a quick hose down, or in the hose pipe ban, chuck a few buckets of water at the kit...

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
TBH I'm happier with the water in the sea than I am with that in my water butt in terms of cleanliness!

Fresh water rinse from the hose (ban cancelled at this callsign) and hang it up to dry.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
my kit looks after me very well and it only sees fresh water when it gets rained on when its on the boat.

crave ate is that its very rarely dry and even more rarely out of the water for more than a week

·
16,005 Posts
my kit looks after me very well and it only sees fresh water when it gets rained on when its on the boat.

crave ate is that its very rarely dry and even more rarely out of the water for more than a week
I think that's the secret - never let your kit dry out, then it doesn't matter if it's salty.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TBH I'm happier with the water in the sea than I am with that in my water butt in terms of cleanliness!

Fresh water rinse from the hose (ban cancelled at this callsign) and hang it up to dry.
That's what I have been doing until I read about giving the kit a soak and filling up the wing being a reasonable thing to do. It makes sense to me when you think about dissolving salt in water that it works better in warm water and it doesn't happen instantaneously and then pulling the whole lot out and giving it a quick spray with fresh water to help flush anything extra away... Then finally licking your kit to see if it still tastes like salt :D

Paul_c, I wish I had the time to never let my kit dry out. Now I have my own tanks I am starting to hope that I might have a chance of getting some diving done after work mid-week. Gotta convince my buddies now.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Don't over think this, in the best part of two decades my kit sometimes got a rinse, usually not, rarely with anything other than fresh, cold water. I don't recall disinfecting my BC ever. Total kit failures...zero.... It is tough stuff, it is hard to break though you can kill it with love...

Rinse, drip dry, beer.... not always in that order.

OK, so now I have a rebreather and have good reason to disinfect certain parts but my open circuit kit still gets minimal attention...

·
hates the wind
889 Posts
Chuck it in a tub of water, first stages and all with the dust caps on.

Leave it for a while, take out and drip dry. Ideally, get back in the water before it dries properly

1 - 20 of 27 Posts