YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

As if nutters diving in full batman outfits weren't enough to make you think you were massively narked, imagine being surrounded by these things on some dark, silty dive:

Glow in the dark fish, FFS!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Imported post

nice... apparently there's a type of jellyfish that's bioluminescent from which you can extract liquid and reinject it harmlessly into any other living tissue to make that bioluminescent too.

Imagine the limitless "glow-in-the-dark" possibilities ...

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

It was inserting jellyfish genes into these fish that made them glow, AIUI..

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Nerd corner:  
Actually they fluoresce rather than glow so need a specific wavelength (489nm) to excite the GFP (green fluorescent protein) molecule to emit light at 508nm. It's a handy way to tag other genes when making transgenic plants and animals, that way you can tell easily if the modification has been successful. The jellyfish is Aequorea victoria

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Mar. 12 2004,14:48)]Nerd corner:  
Actually they fluoresce rather than glow so need a specific wavelength (489nm) to excite the GFP (green fluorescent protein) molecule to emit light at 508nm. It's a handy way to tag other genes when making transgenic plants and animals, that way you can tell easily if the modification has been successful. The jellyfish is Aequorea victoria
Yes, yes, that's all well and good BUT how do I make myself glow or flouresce (whatever) in the dark?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Open some chemical glowsticks and drink the contents

Okay, so it only makes your urine glow in the dark. But it's a start...

Especially if you pee in your wetsuit

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Mar. 12 2004,15:08)]Especially if you pee in your wetsuit
Dominic,

WETSUIT !!!!
??

I never realised I was held so low in your esteem.  

Glowy pee  

Bryan

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I don't mind drinking a glowstick and pissing on you if you want Bryan. Just give me the shout at the next gig. Mind you, are those glowsitcks poisonous?

Reminds me of when we made one of our housemates drink a bottle of fairy liquid. Never walk into a kitchen drunk and say "Give me anything and I'll down it." I'll have to ask if his pee went fairy soft.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

And bubbly...

Friends of mine once put Fairy in their washing machine. Bubbles exploded all over the kitchen...

Glowsticks are non-toxic - says so on the packaging. Some people even put the stuff in their eyes (after filtering out the glass)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finless @ Mar. 12 2004,15:07)]Yes, yes, that's all well and good BUT how do I make myself glow or flouresce (whatever) in the dark?
oo! oo! oo! Are you volunteering to be a subject in one of my fiendish medical experiments by any chance

Muw haw haw haw haw haw haw haw haw haw haw...

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Yup, non-toxic,

Troops used to drink some when we were out on low flying night exercises in the back of a Herc and then pretend to chuck it up over the newbies.

Usually good for a laugh till the newbie chucked up back

Always a laugh winding the RAF up
 which is not hard when you make a mess in one of their aircraft

Paul

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Imported post

Fancy telling a bunch of childish divers that you can drink glow sticks....tut, tut. That's as bad as showing someone you can dip your fingers in zambuka and light it....no really, you can, then you put the flames out by sucking your finger.
Once lit a friends cigarette that way.....

You know what's going to happen next night dive.......

must nip out and get some.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I got 100 glow bracelets from ebay for £8.  They are just right for around the top of your tinnies if you are doing a night dive.  Plus i sold a load to a kayaking trip in the dark for 50p each, so they actually made me money.  Bargain!

·
Heavily medicated, for your safety.
1,754 Posts
Imported post

Mind you, given the time of year and all that.....

You know what to call a Leprauchan's pee?

Mild Green Fairy Liquid!!!!

(Coat already on)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts