YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

right, after plenty of searching around the t'interweb I think I may have come up with a contender for my new torch.

I wanted one that will be bright, £100 (ish) and maglite design (so I can strap it to my wrist)

The FAMI Non-rechargeable LED 18 seems to fit the bill. I just wanted to gauge the opinion of the masses or see if there is a cheaper alternative.

Cheers

Stu

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
hi all,

right, after plenty of searching around the t'interweb I think I may have come up with a contender for my new torch.

I wanted one that will be bright, £100 (ish) and maglite design (so I can strap it to my wrist)

The FAMI Non-rechargeable LED 18 seems to fit the bill. I just wanted to gauge the opinion of the masses or see if there is a cheaper alternative.

Cheers

Stu
I don't know the FAMI but I have found that the LED torches are retina burningly bright but with no penetration whatsoever.

I had a C4 LED - not the same quality as the FAMi probably but I used it about 10 times and then Ebayed it. Good battery life though.

HTH - probably not

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Don't. LED 18w equivalent isn't enough for a primary torch IMHO.

I use a Fa-Mi Power 40 which is now only about £50 more and is also easy to mount on a Goodman style handle. Well worth the extra cash IMHO. It is just about equivalent to a 10w HID (e.g. the cheapest Halcyon umbilical) though with slightly less penetration and a wider beam.

In a similar price / power range, look at Photon Torpedo, Heser, and Scout lights (both traditional and LED versions). You'll find plenty of posts on here about them. While they're all designed as backup torches, they can all be mounted on the hand/wrist and will perform acceptably in most applications (unless you need a lightsaber for DIR-style signalling - in which case get an umbilical for £££+++).

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
now you've got my attention!!! where, where, where???
sorry, I'm an idiot. I meant to type 'only about £50 more' but obviously missed out quite an important word. apologies for getting you all excited over nothing :embarassed:

back to the original post - also look at the salvo rat (the small one) that Rob just posted about, that might be on top of my shopping list now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts