YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Just come back from a top day's diving at the Farne Islands - did the wreck of the Somalia, which was OK and then a scenic dive out with the seals - what a buzz playing with them - could be a good alternative to St Abbs.

Only downside was it was bit of a hike to get a fill, and more worrying was that the shop was closed and you had to ring them up to come and fill you up!!  Bad news if your mobile is saying SOS calls only - what do they call a request for air??  Good news is they turned up after about 5 mins and filled them, but no NITROX as she couldn't do it!!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Andy, its a great alternative from Abbs and its even closer for most of us, the problem is as far as I'm aware is that without a boat your buggered and every boat is booked solid... Who did you dive with?? can you get them again?? if so please arrange something and let us know, I'll be there without any doubt whatsoever.

Tony (Parahandy) has been trying to arrange something with a skipper he knows for ages now but with no result unfortunately..

Dave.

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Andy C. You might have even dived off the same boat as me
It would appear that the skippers have the same sites and in the same dive order.
Dave if you are serious about a trip, the charter for a boat is £250 for up to 12 divers. Skipper OK, loads of tea and coffee. I have details and he only needs a couple of weekends notice. Even better would be mid week diving via Soverign diving min of 6 divers @ £25 each.
Let me know if anyone is interested and I'll see about jacking something up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

We went with William Shiels - 16 of us on the boat the MV Glad Tidings VI.  They have about 7 or 8 boats either for pleasure cruises or diving.

The bonus of going with soveriegn is they own the dive shop so there should be no problem with air fills!

We made our first dive at about 8.30, next at 11.30 and we could have easily done another one in the afternoon - I would go back in a flash - esp for the scenic dives with the seals

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

C'mon then you two, it looks like you've got the contacts so get yer heads together and arrange a trip before the weather turns on us.. perleeeeeze!!

If we can get Andy2tanks, Andy Hayhurst and you two it'll be bedlam on the boat everytime someone shouts.. Andy!!... of course 2tanks does answer to some other rather choice names the likes of which I cannot type on a public forum

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

I'm booking for some divers on the 17th September to Farnes but for all you poor people who have to work 9-5 ESSO its a Tuesday. If anyone wants to be included let me know BUT it has to be a firm YES because the boat maybe booked with you included in the numbers.
Dave (and anyone else interested) let me know the prefered days and I'll try to arrange something around you. :ear:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

No need to convert me to the Farnes as i'm one of it's fans. As Dave mentioned I've used a Skipper there on a regular basis. Maybe business must be good this year, as my regular contact doesn't seem to want the custom and didn't come back to me :shocked: thats his loss.:wink:.

The Somali's a nice wreck with quite a lot of its cargo still to be found ( those evil smelling pots of medicine) liberated by some divers in the past. All returned in the recent wrecks amnesty:nonono:

The tale is it blew up with such force that it blew bits of wreckage into Seahouses, one #### of a blast if you look at the distance to the harbour:amazed: Theres a picture of the ship in the local pub.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts