YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Just been talking to Scott at Deep Blue about diving in '04. He says that they're unlikely to be out much before April, and later than that for the Tyne wrecks.
Now I have some pressing business to transact in Oz in April but it seemed to me that the May Day bank holiday might be a good opportunity for a little seal spotting in the Farnes from the Deep Blue RIB.
If we get bookings in early (next month should be fine I'd think) maybe we can fill a boat? Cost is usually about £30pp for 2 dives in the Farnes but that's my guess, not a quote from Scott.
I'm posting this to see what kind of interest there is. Please say if you'd be diving a twin set and whether you'd prefer Sat or Sun (or even, Mon).
Depending on the numbers interested I'll talk to Scott in the New Year and ask if he can open a booking list for the favoured date(s) (I have the Saturday or Sunday in mind), and what he will charge. However I will not be booking the boat. It would be up to individuals to contact the shop direct to book their spaces.
Have yourselves a merry little Christmas,
P

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Would that be the 1-3 May? If it is i'm free that w/end but as travelling from S.Wales would only come if it's a long w/end i.e sat - mon. Would consider then. If you can please let me know an idea of the cost and any thoughts on b&b. Would be using twins and nitrox mix if only for deco.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

If i can be persuaded that deep blue will not keep up their track record with me (see techie buddy needed thread), then yeah im up for that.
I can go to seahouses in person and see if i can get us some good deals on B&B (i would stay up there with you guys as i cant rely on a lift for 3 days).
If we dont use Deep blue then i can highly reccomend wavedancer and wavedancer 2.
I would be as reeve, twinset and nitrox stage for fizz off.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Yeah, I'd be up for this one. Maybe twins, maybe not. Depends on the diving planned.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Is anyone getting up a list for this Farnes gig? Who's in chair for this one? And for £30 per diver, we might as well do a hard boat - Wave Dancer, anyone?

Me, Jay, Jules, Davey Willo and Wetlettuce did the Farnes earlier in the year and we did a half-decent hard boat (granted it was a fishing hulk with a top speed of 'is the kettle on?')

Yeah, we should do this, in a group YD-Styleee, who's up for it?? I loved the seals and the Somali wreck!! Let's play!

Names and list please, that man??

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Stick me and Josie Chaplin down for this Paul. At 30 quid /dive I think Bren is right. We stayed in a bunkhouse with Scott (think thats his name) and Farnes Divers. My DO reconed that Sovreign were better particularly in respect of accomodation. There is a campsite or two in Beadnell (??) just south of Seahouses.

Dave Crampton.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>yeah there is a campsite just south of seahouses/north of beadnell.  

I suspect that we would be pretty welcome in one of the pubs in seahouses too - my mum and dad have got a widdly little shop they are trying to sell and the people who own a pub up there were very interested......

I will ask the lass who works at our Seahouses branch if she knows anyone who has a B&B for group discount etc.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>try stan hall at farne diving services for b/b
he also has a bunk house and campsite
there is also a camping and caravaning club site on main rd at beadnell if anyone wants the numbers i will give you them

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Imported post

Stan's the man for cheap and easy accommodation, but things get booked up quickly at Bank Hols, so don't waste much time. Water's cold (not for toughies like YDs though) and vis usually not very good in early May. It's always cr-p weather at Easter too.

Cheers Ron

·
Registered
2 Posts
Imported post

stick mi name down for this one paul.any date suits me                                                                                            michael .                                                                                             ps bring spare car key as it saves on windows

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imported post

Glad there's some interest here. My particular angle on this was having spoken to Scott. If people think a hard boat is preferable - and someone knows one that's going - then post ideas for who and how much...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

I'd be up for this Paul, I'm a hardboat sort of guy but a big rib that takes me to a dive site and straight back home before I'm sick will do nicely... count me in as definite

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Very Very tempted, I really enjoyed the Farnes this year, put me down (good idea?) as a possible please.

Matt

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

If you wanted to do the farnes form a RIB you'd be beter of with Graham Harrison and his huge RIB Moby as this is Ron Young's "skipper of choice" for the Farnes (and the recommendations don't come any higher than that), pluss DB don't go a bundle on twinsets so won't take a full load of divers so it'll cost more.

Personally I'd rather be on a hardboat to do the Farnes so that you've got some basic facilities (especially if you've got female divers on board as RIBs are obviously a bit unfair on the girls

Here's one hardboat URL Farnes diving Services we dived from the Hope of Life n John gullivers trip, it's a bit cramped for kitting up but lots of cabin room for shelter if the weather is rough, the Wavedancer catamaran(s? think there may be two) look cool but I can't find a website for them

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

Me and old Nick (or St. Nick i cant remember which one he is this week?) would be interested in a farnes weekend. put us down on a tentative list...
jules  

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

could you put me down as tentative? i'd have to sort out a lift as i don't have a car, and have no idea where i will be living by may! but it does sound good, as long as not too expensive - might be camping methinks!

RIB is fine by me, especially if it's cheaper

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>OK,

Thought I'd get this in b4 Bren (Mr Organised) did.

1/ Paul C???
2/ Garath Reeve
3/ Porg (Helen)

4/ Mark Davies
5/ Dave Crampton (dcrampt)
6/ Michael

7/ Parahandy Andy

8/ Dave Williamson
9/ Mattbin (v. v. tempted)
10/ Julia C??
11/ Nick ??
12/ Kate R (tentative)
13/ Josie Chaplin (Dave C 's Fiancee)
14/ Steve Walker

Looks like more than one boats worth. Plus we've got to get accomodation.

I've not dive Soverign b4 but folks in by local club have and prefer them. Saying that, I have dived with Farnes Divers staying in his bunk house. The boat has coffee and tea etc, with a Head and can accomodate 10??. The bunk house was pretty basic (showers in the entrance/drying room, which is a through way to the kitchen and stairs up to the bunks (12 of) so ladies might have to post a guard on the door when they shower. Air fills included but only 200Bar.
Farnes Divers other accomodation is supposed to be nicer but obviuosly more money. I think we paid 6.50 per person per night, could have been a couple of quid more but prices might have changed plus upgrades to his bunk house.

As far as what dives we would be doing, I recon its like most of the hard boat operators, dependent on the weather and what the tide is doing that particular day.

Right thats me, someone take over from here and book everything.

Dave C  

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Is anyone up that way able to organise the boats and accomodation for us? I would offer but as I've yet to have the pleasure of the Farnes and live several hundred miles away I'll leave it for someone else.

Porg are you able to organise for us?

gareth

1 - 20 of 85 Posts