YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got back from Ian @1904’s trip to the Farnes and I have to say I’ve had a FAN-DABI-DOZI weekend, even if some of the dives were fogged off.

First of all though, a BIG thanks to Ian, who very kindly finished off the practical side of my Combined Nitrox Course that got cancelled in March. Thanks also to Danny for doing the paperwork and for fixing the valve on my drysuit :girlhug:

Well, what to say? I arrived Thursday night to find that Jane (triplefin) had kindly brought the twin 12s I have bought from Lee B all the way up from High Wycombe – woohoo, more shiney kit to play with over the summer!

I met up with John at our accommodation and we went off to the pub with Doug and Dave S while we waited for Ian and Karen (Missus Ian) to arrive.

Missus Dave S on his mobile Who is that loud woman in the background?
Err, that would be me :embarassed: !

We had a meal and a few drinks then John persuaded us it would be a good idea to walk into Seahouses. We had one drink in town and then walked all the way back again. Me little legs were dropping off and it weren’t half cold, especially in me school shorts :wink:!

Next day ropes off was a respectable time so we all met up for breakfast, most others (e.g. Ratty, Chas, Leigh, Danny and Sally, Looby, Mala, Ibbo, Andy S, Prometheus, David) having arrived the evening before or early that morning.

We were diving with Lee Hall on Farne Diver. The first dive was at Blue Caps and it was here that I did SMB deployment from the seabed, midwater deployment, reg switching, stops and buoyancy skills to pass my course. We also saw an enormous octopus eating a lobster!

Dive time: 57 mins
Max depth: 23.2m
Ave Depth: 19.7m
Temp 10.9 degrees

Once we surfaced the fog had rolled in so Lee tootled us around trying to see if the fog would clear, whilst I dished out home made frittata. By mid afternoon it was clear that this wasn’t going to happen so we all headed back :frown: .

Some of us decided to go to Seahouses for the evening and I met up with Yazzy and LisaR in Beadnell (they were up with Yaz's club). We then headed for Seahouses and met up with more people from the other boat that Chris had organised, including KevW. I can’t believe how noisy we all are when we get together (especially me and Yaz :rolleyes:) but we had such a laugh.

Saturday we awoke to thick fog and after a 7am breakfast headed to the harbour to have our worst fears confirmed. We went back to the accommodation and all stood round in a big circle like a hokey-kokey and chatted for a few hours before giving it another go at 11am – still no luck.

Several of us decided to go to Alnwick Castle gardens for the day, so me, Ian, Karen, Doug, Dave and Andy S set off and had a very cultured day taking in the fountains and waterfalls and poison garden. We did check at 3am to see if there was anything doing at Seahouses, as it was brilliant sunshine in Alnwick, but there was still no diving. The fog had lifted due to the wind but that had brought on a swell.

Saturday night we all ate at the Tower Hotel in Beadnell, after which some of us took a stroll along the front. I was in my bed with a cup of tea by 10am!

Sunday looked promising and we headed to the harbour in sunshine at 7.30am. Our first dive was North Knifestone. We found some wreckage, and this was also a really pretty dive with loads of life, including some huge wrasse.

Dive time: 55 mins
Max depth: 22m
Ave Depth: 14.6m
Temp 10 degrees

When we surfaced, the fog had come in really thick. We ate my gingerbread in the surface interval and weren’t sure if we were going to get in, but we managed a second dive at Knox Reef. Some people were lucky enough to play with seals – Ian saw one following us but it had disappeared by the time I turned round. There was just lots of kelp and not much else to see, and it was a bit chilly, so we didn’t stay down too long.

Dive time: 26 mins
Max depth: 8.5m
Ave Depth: 5m
Temp 10.1 degrees

The ride back to harbour was a bit of a rollercoaster, but we survived :).

This was an absolutely fantastic weekend. Thanks to Ian for organising our trip and to Chris for organising the other boat. It’s a shame about the canned dives but if we wanted a guaranteed sport we should have taken up badminton. The beauty of YD gigs for me is that the banter and friendships make it all worthwhile. Apologies to those who I haven’t mentioned, but I enjoyed being with you all. To old friends I have met again, it was lovely to see you. To the new friends I have made – I hope to see you again soon! Thanks also to Missus Ian for putting up with us all weekend.

Love Hxxx

:girlhug: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

·
Apprentice houseplant
988 Posts
I had a really great time too - thanks to Robert for buddying me, [email protected] for the organisation and the signatures and Helen for the offers of gingerbread - if I hadn't been so occupied being seasick, I would have really enjoyed it!

Nice to put some names to faces! I hope to be able to dive with you all again soon!

David

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
hi ya all!!

i just wanted to thank everyone from y-d that made such a great weekend !

i think i mite need a week to get over this one lol!!

o i havnt got a week as we up in eyemouth next weekend lol!!

a massive thanx to chris and ian for arranging their trips respectivly !

and hope i didnt get in the way when coffee and ginger cake where handed out

as i managed to hitch a lift on the wrong boat lol!!!

again a shame that we didnt get out on saturday but me,chas and derek decide

to go look around alnwick which was lovely thank u for that gents a thouroughly

enjoyable afternoon!!

lovely to put names to faces and hopee that i do see ya all again ! best wishes leigh

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
What a jolly time

I have just heard that Foggy and Dave have reached Oxford safely, and I Danny and Sally have texted me on the way down, so it seems most people had a tolerable time. :)

There was the usual banter by text on the way down where certain people claimed to be lost. Even my Karen was not fooled by that one.

The catering was lovely thank you Helen. You were not noisy at all...........in the water:)

For those thinking of diving the Farnes then I cannot rate Lee Hall high enough. A really decent chap, and his Dad cooks a decent brekkie with FOC banter provided.

I learnt a great deal of useful information this weekend, mostly about the police and their terminology-"chuffed to bits" took on a whole new meaning after saturday evening. The "attitude test" was another....:)

There is little to add to the dive reporting-it was the Farnes..... nosy wrasse, pipe and ribbon fish, lobsters, crab, sunstars, and if lucky some seals. Oh and huge lobster eating octopus.

I know that Leigh was pretty deperate to join our boat, but climbing aboard our boat was just classic.

As ever the contribution made by everyone made the weekend. Foggy - I look forward to receiving the tree walk video tape;) taken at Alnwick Castle.

I have some refunds to organise-a partial refund for Friday £11 and full refund for Saturday £28. Lee refused to take payment for a full day on Friday as we only made one day-even though we were out all day and used a usual amount of fuel. I tried to pay him for the full day. Please email me your bank details or address for cheques to be posted off.

We have some great pics which will be posted in the near future.

Now if we can get the showers to work and some anti-sea mist device we are totally sorted.

Point of information. If you are staying in Beadnell avoid the Crabstick Arms the food and beer are lousy. Go to the other Beadnell Towers hotel round the corner-Farne Islands beer.....

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
Farne Islands beer is good, but the other one from the same brewery was even better (they had it in the Towers but I can't remember its name!)

Thanks for organising everything Ian, I had a top time.
Cheers to Chas49 for driving me up there, and everyone else for being, well, everyone else :D

Helen, I'd like the recipe for the posh pie please :)

Anyone else think the seals were taking the mickey ? They all disappeared whilst I was diving (I think they were all watching Triplefin for some reason!) yet every time someone surfaced and was facing the boat, a seal would appear behind their head about 2 metres away and disappear just as they turned round :D:D

Here's to the next one! But please can we sort out the anti mist spray first!!! Argh - calm conditions but bloody fog!

And to the rest of YD: Yes, we know the whole country except the 1 sqaure mile around Seahouses/Beadnell was gorgeous yesterday, thank you very much !!!

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Picture just in

We then headed for Seahouses and met up with more people from the other boat that Chris had organised, including KevW. I can’t believe how noisy we all are when we get together (especially me and Yaz :rolleyes:) but we had such a laugh.
It would appear you had a very good time ;)

Glad you all had a blast regardless of the weather.

Safe diving,
Steve

Reactions: Buoyant Babe

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
It was good to catch up with old friends and to meet new ones. Did we really get 7 in my car on Friday night?

We managed to get out and get wet on Saturday despite the fog but not a great dive swimming through bloody kelp especially as the skipper asked us to deploy dsmb so he could keep an eye on us. That meant staying above the kelp so didnt get to see much. Todays dives on Northern Rock and Northern Wamess was far better and loads more to see. Was very strange coming to the surface on the first dive and the fog was down again, rather eery. My only moan for the weekend was that Glad Tidings III had no bloody head and as we had planned to be out all day to complete our dives it was fire bucket for the females!!

I can also confirm that dinner in the Lobster Pot Tower Hotel was excellent!!

Helen .......I shall bring the results of my newly discovered talent of making a Bakewell Tart for next weekends YD gig.

·
Team Starburst
865 Posts
can you dive with seals - Can you ......ing ever

Great Weekend

could only have been improved with a bit of banter & humour still can't have everything:frown:

not the cheapest or easiest to get to diving location in England [well not if you live in Devon anyway], until 7am Sunday morning it was looking like 1100 miles a dive but that improved on Sunday to a mere 9.04 miles driven for every minute under water
or
9.07 minutes driving for every minute in the water

was it worth it????

OH YES
YouTube - Seals Knoxx Reef 030607
below is the link to myself and DIVE BUDDHA with our new friend:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: courtesy of FoggyDuster

to say nothing of the other "new to me" marine life.

A great weekend thanks to all who made it so enjoyable and I was home by 11.35pm.

best wishes

Dave

Dave

·
Registered
335 Posts
Disappointing diving due to weather but an otherwise fun weekend, thanks to Chris for organising our boat (even if it was a fishing boat) :teeth:

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Great Weekend

could only have been improved with a bit of banter & humour still can't have everything:frown:

not the cheapest or easiest to get to diving location in England [well not if you live in Devon anyway], until 7am Sunday morning it was looking like 1100 miles a dive but that improved on Sunday to a mere 9.04 miles driven for every minute under water
or
9.07 minutes driving for every minute in the water

was it worth it????

OH YES
YouTube - Seals Knoxx Reef 030607
below is the link to myself and DIVE BUDDHA with our new friend:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: courtesy of FoggyDuster

to say nothing of the other "new to me" marine life.

A great weekend thanks to all who made it so enjoyable and I was home by 11.35pm.

best wishes

Dave

Dave
cheers dave for that video of us 3 hidden in the kelp forest

like special forces although i think my white twin set gave me away lol!!!

lovely diving with ya both on dive 2 even though a short shallow dive a very

enjoyable one !! and a p[leasure to say the least diving with you 2 !! ok people bring on the photos lol!!

best wishes leigh :teeth:

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
I have just heard that Foggy and Dave have reached Oxford safely, and I Danny and Sally have texted me on the way down, so it seems most people had a tolerable time. :)

There was the usual banter by text on the way down where certain people claimed to be lost. Even my Karen was not fooled by that one.

The catering was lovely thank you Helen. You were not noisy at all...........in the water:)

For those thinking of diving the Farnes then I cannot rate Lee Hall high enough. A really decent chap, and his Dad cooks a decent brekkie with FOC banter provided.

I learnt a great deal of useful information this weekend, mostly about the police and their terminology-"chuffed to bits" took on a whole new meaning after saturday evening. The "attitude test" was another....:)

There is little to add to the dive reporting-it was the Farnes..... nosy wrasse, pipe and ribbon fish, lobsters, crab, sunstars, and if lucky some seals. Oh and huge lobster eating octopus.

I know that Leigh was pretty deperate to join our boat, but climbing aboard our boat was just classic.

As ever the contribution made by everyone made the weekend. Foggy - I look forward to receiving the tree walk video tape;) taken at Alnwick Castle.

I have some refunds to organise-a partial refund for Friday £11 and full refund for Saturday £28. Lee refused to take payment for a full day on Friday as we only made one day-even though we were out all day and used a usual amount of fuel. I tried to pay him for the full day. Please email me your bank details or address for cheques to be posted off.

We have some great pics which will be posted in the near future.

Now if we can get the showers to work and some anti-sea mist device we are totally sorted.

Point of information. If you are staying in Beadnell avoid the Crabstick Arms the food and beer are lousy. Go to the other Beadnell Towers hotel round the corner-Farne Islands beer.....
firstly ian i want to say that lee hall himself and the outfit he runs is second to none !!
very kind hearted bloke and a skipper that relies on repeat trade coming back to use him !!
i have no hessitation booking with him !!

as for the boat hopping well what can i say? !!lol!! but the look on ur face when u

and helen got out off the lift !

it was almost like a double take ! with a look of confusion !! a very good days

diving and surrounded by a lot of very lovely kind hearted people !

best wishes leigh !

·
You dir'ty ole' man!!!!!
2,437 Posts
I have some refunds to organise-a partial refund for Friday £11 and full refund for Saturday £28. Lee refused to take payment for a full day on Friday as we only made one day-even though we were out all day and used a usual amount of fuel. I tried to pay him for the full day. Please email me your bank details or address for cheques to be posted off.QUOTE]

Glad I managed to join you all for a dive on Friday and to buddy with John. It was worth it for a taste of BB's pie, erm Fritata!!

Sadly the weather got the better of the weekend but I hope you all weren't too disappointed. Hope to see you again. Also thanks to Dave Pye for taking my space on Sat/Sun.

I don't want any refund Ian so please donate any money of mine to the local RNLI. :teeth:

Thanks...........Graham

·
Registered
77 Posts
YD virginity

Thanks to everyone for a great weekend.. my first YD trip. The company was great and everyone was very welcoming. I did spent that first day trying to match YD usernames to real names - very confusing.

I notice that Helen forgot to post quote of the weekend :embarassed: when she turned round to Dive Budha and asked him

'Will it smell if I go down there?'

You can imagine the amount of dirty sniggering:teeth:

So hopefully join you all on another trip sometime. I think I'll get another invite - not so sure about Danny :teeth:

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Thanks to everyone for a great weekend.. my first YD trip. The company was great and everyone was very welcoming. I did spent that first day trying to match YD usernames to real names - very confusing.

I notice that Helen forgot to post quote of the weekend :embarassed: when she turned round to Dive Budha and asked him

'Will it smell if I go down there?'

You can imagine the amount of dirty sniggering:teeth:

So hopefully join you all on another trip sometime. I think I'll get another invite - not so sure about Danny :teeth:
and heres me thinking nobody would say anything lol!!:teeth:

glad u enjoyed it sally !

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Like everyone else I would like to add my thanks to Ian for organising the weekend (I really dont know what we would do without all these good hearted people sorting out these trips for us - its the backbone of YD and how we get to met each other).
Despite the weather and the canned dives it was a great weekend and lovely to see catch up with people I hadnt seen since last year and meet some new faces. Also nice to met Karen (Mrs Ian) who put up with hours of diving talk. I've put a few topside pics here, but Karen took a lot more and had a proper camera! - so I think she will probably be coming up with some really nice ones.

John and Helen (buoyant babe) in the background Karen (Mrs Ian1904) Ian1904 and Danny – setting up for the weekends diving

John

Karen (Mrs Ian1904) Ian, Doug, Dave S – Alnwick Gardens

andyS, Bouyant Babe(helen) Ian1904

One of the ivy covered tunnels in the Poison Garden at Alnwick

Danny, DaveS, Ian1904, Sally – please note this is Sallys new weasel jacket she is wearing

I havnt had time to go through all the underwater ones but just had a quick look at a few of the seals most of them are like this:frown:

or this (thats one of the down sides of digital - its so slow)

However it does sound like I saw quite a few seals compared to some people so I was really really lucky – amazing experience and was worth the 6hr drive just for that:)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.