YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

My buddy and I are planning a small trip to the Farnes in a few months. Just 2 days diving

We'll be flying in from Luxembourg, renting a motor and staying at a B&B or something.

Neither of us have dived the Farnes before so I wondered if anyone could give advice re: skippers, boats, operators etc and any web links appreciated. Also, if there are any peculiarities to watch out for and to consider please let me know....just thinking along the lines of things like at swanage it's good to get there early to park on the pier area before it fills...that sort of stuff.

Oh yeah...any B&B recommendations also welcome.

Cheers all.

Graham

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>see this link farnes YD trip as there's a trip organised for May. Not sure if there are places left but dcrampt is organising for us.

gareth

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Graham

We have a member called Ron Young who is an absolute encyclopedia of knowledge regarding the Farne Islands.. he is an author of quite a few excellent books one of which is all about the Farnes.. I and many others on this board have bought into Ron's extremely informative efforts and so should you if you need to know anything about that area, including skippers, lodgings and good food/beer and that's before you get to every single dive explained in great detail.

I haven't seen Ron on these boards for a while now but he's been given his very own forums on "The Divers Forum" http://www.ukdivers.com If you pop over there I'm sure Ron will give you as much information as you require... you will not find a more helpful informative guy then Ron.... he no longer dives these days, he's retired but loves to help divers in their quest for great diving in and around the Farne Islands...

HTH
Dave  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Amen to that, Brother David!

I have Ron's book on the diving area also (kindly acquired for me by a very close friend!), and it's a veritable idiot's guide to getting it right: diving, wrecks, scenic, accom, food, B&B, pubs and aspects which make it both damned easy and enjoyable to dive in tha Farnes!

You can either PM Ron Young here at YD, or have a look at Peter's site above on UK Divers. Either way, you won't find a more comprehensive source for making the most of all aspects of your Farnes trip - I jest you not!

Enjoy and dive safe.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>if you are looking for a good skipper you cant do much better than stan hall at farne diving services he has been skippering and diving the islands for more years than even he cares to remember
whilst there you have to do whirl rocks and the somalia
cheers dave

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Thanks so much....I really appreciate it...now I'll have to buy the book...and soon a new book case.

I'll check out the website and also Farne Diving Services.

We're not sure when the trip will be but I think we'll avoid the Bank Holiday but when dates firm up I'll post up and see if anyone wants to meet up.

Thanks again and regards to all.

Graham

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Farne Diving Services' website:
http://www.farnedivingservices.co.uk/
12 of us (6 YDers and 6 Swedes) stayed at their accommodation in Beadnell (a few minutes' car journey from Seahouses) and dived with them last September and were well satisfied. Ron Young's book is excellent and he is extemely friendly and helpful. His e-mail adress is [email protected]
I'm sure he won't mind my publishing it here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts