YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Show of hands please, assuming it is feasible to book a hardboat for at least one of the days of the Easter Bank holiday Weekend (18th-21st April) who might possibly be interested in diving the Farne Islands? (only specified 18th for the benefit of the calender function

Incredibly, I've never dived the Farnes yet and they're pretty much local to me!

I've no idea of prices or numbers sites etc yet as this is merely a tester, but if we can get some kind of a posse together I'll get right on it.

not wishing to be a scaremonger but The Farnes can be tricky re currents so I'd expect everyone going to have at least one decent SMB, I'll also be carrying my collapsible flag. I know one guy who got carried right out to sea (and I mean completely out of sight of any land) by the currents around the Farnes and had to be rescued by "our best buddies"

Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

Hi Steve,

Myself and my better half would be very interested in diving Sat and Sun (19th and 20th april). I have dived the Farnes a reasonable amount, so know a few of the good (and not so good) sites! The seals are always a lot of fun! I will email you directly as well.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Ooo....you wouldn't let it lie...    

No  Bob, I wouldn't let it lie.

C'mon guys, Easter weekend, it'd be criminal not to be out diving.  I can't believe no-one want to get close to the seals, I'm thinking nice scenic diving for fish-proddery type people.

Or is it clashing with some other pre-arranged stuff ?

Don't make me send da boyz round  

Chee-az
Steve

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Sorry Stevie,

As you can imagine I'd love to be dipping with the seals but me and Ben have nicked a coupla space to go diving off the west coast of Scotland. Another time?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Mar. 26 2003,09:57)] I can't believe no-one want to get close to the seals, I'm thinking nice scenic diving for fish-proddery type people.

Or is it clashing with some other pre-arranged stuff ?
Hey Stevie,

I personally can't wait to dive the Farnes (never done them yet) and dive with seals, but I have a simple yet golden rule about travelling anywhere by road during a UK Bank Holiday - Don't! As everyone else is tryng to do precisely the same thing.

And seeing as the motorways and A-roads of the UK were not designed to be driven on by anything larger than a Boy Scout Troop's Sunday Bicycling Expedition, I rather feel that the garden, with a BBQ and large sherry might very well be the order of the day.

And I'm not aware of anything else that's on the cards in terms of a group gig, although one or two may be doing smaller individual outtings.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Well ok.... if I don't get enough folk for this trip I'll let you guys off the hook  
got a few other plans in the pipeline anyway.

However I deffo want to do the Farnes this year,  there's plenty of time as "the season" is just beginning, but I thought that because of that it might be easier to do it earlier in the year.

Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Steve

BOOK IT!!!

Believe me when I say we can fill the boat, the Farnes are class, definitely put me down for it plus most probably our kid too but i'll confirm that with him later.

Dave

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Imported post

Hi Guys

I don't want to put a dampener on the Farnes trip, but it is usually crap 90% of the time at Easter, visiblity and weather usually poor and the water 'cold'. The pubs are good though and plenty of other divers to moan with. Some of the best pubs are: BEADNELL, Craster Arms, Coach House and Towers Hotel, SEAHOUSES, Old Ship Inn and The Lodge.
For some of you who live quite a distance, it would be much better waiting at least until probably Whit.

Cheers Ron

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Hmmmmm.. now theres a man who's experience I wouldn't dream of arguing with.. Thanks for the heads up on the situation there Ron.. Steve wadyathink, I'd still dive even if the viz was pooh but if it's decided that another weekend later on is a better choice then I'll go with that too.

Regards
Dave.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hmmm... I tend to agree, I'll dive in pants viz just to get wet, but also I won't argue with a man who not only could, but has quite literally written a book on the subject  

I've just had to look up when "Whit " is, not a term you hear much these days, but for the similarly unenlightened its June 7th / 8th, which is neap tides so that's beneficial.

So in contrast to my earlier post "I'll let it lie" Vic  

But keep this date free people

Chee-az
Steve

Anyhoo, will post soon with plans for some kind of small troop gig, probably for the weekend of 12th/13th april

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Sorry Steve would love to tack onto another trip of yours but that weekend I'll be spending the four days up in the Summer Isles with (hopefully) 25m viz....

Tough eh?

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Imported post

Hi Driftwood,

You forgot to mention 'and rain', beautiful area though with some nice dives and plenty to 'eat'.

Enjoy it

Cheers Ron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts