YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Has anyone done any of the cave or cavern courses run by Martyn Farr in S Wales?
Are they scary? Do they involve diving with flooded, blacked out masks and no air? My buddy did several teckie courses in Sharm and they all involved such horrors. However, I do want to do cave diving...
Any info welcome.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Yes, I enjoyed my cavern course with him and didn't find it scary. Would recommend it :)

There are some no mask and OOG scenarios, but then if you're spending any time under water, you should be regularly practicing these things anyway, IMO.

Have search through trip reports, SixSquid wrote a nice report on her course. It pretty much inspired me to do the course.

Edit: Here you go: http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/for...01-my-farrworld-c-oe-course-last-weekend.html
dan

·
1,036 Posts
Hi I did the cavern course with Martyn a couple of years ago and no he didn't do any of that !!!

We practised no viz drills with a blacked out mask in the pool first and then on the actual dive we were asked to close our eyes and follow the line back.

It was not a 'true' cave diving course but the best course I have done :teeth:

He is a superb instructor

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
We practised no viz drills with a blacked out mask in the pool first and then on the actual dive we were asked to close our eyes and follow the line back.
We did the first day's exercises in a silt pit.
MF said "I don't think I'll use this site again. I don't need to make you do the blacked out mask drill as you've already done it."
It varied from zero in dark red to zero in black.

The 'real cavern' was the Dinas Silica Mine and we did a proper 'switch your lights off now and find your way back to the entry point' exercise.
Perhaps less adrenalin when you know you have an instructor 'watching' you but still a nice one to have in the mental toolbox for the day the big silt-out hits and the line in your hands becomes suddenly very precious.

Recommended. Write up.

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
Martyn's cavern diver course is fantastic and nothing to be worried about.
The man himself is generous, supporting and not intimidating in any way.

You learn and practise all the skills before entering the mine and, sure, you practise a blackout situation on day 1 with a cloth but I just closed my eyes anyway. Martyn will have thoroughly briefed and trained you for this so no worries and I rather enjoyed it :) but then I seem to like the dark :embarassed:

As Peter Devlin said, the way Martyn tailors the cavern course you get a real feeling for being in the cave overhead environment without ever being far from an airspace, and the mines are awesome all by themselves :teeth:

You can easily email Martyn and he is also very happy to discuss things with you on the telephone. There quite possibly isn't a more approachable UK Cave Diver

Go for it. You'll love it or find it's not for you. Either way it's training well worth having

·
Team Peanut Butter
2,306 Posts
i have to agree with the other posts, Martyns courses are verry good the cavern course is a superb introduction to diving in an overhead environment. It is not scary or stress full . the hardess part is carrying your kit to the dive sites he uses.

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Interesting as I seem to have pink permission to investigate cavern diving...

G

·
Did Cavern, Intro to Cave & full Cave with Marytn and I cannot recommend him enough.

Each course is comprehensive given the level it is pitched at and progresses well from the last.

Do it :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
A few of my friends and I have done the cavern course and intro to cave with him and we loved it! He's an excellent instructor and a down to earth, pragmatic guy. We're all trying to get slots for the full cave but looking dodgy for this year :-( Also - his assistant instructor \ DM types are also fabulous - so I'd recommend the courses, and Martyn, unreservedly.

G

1 - 9 of 9 Posts