YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

For every KG of fat I shed how much weight can I take off my weight belt?

nigel

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Lead is much cheaper than Slim-Fast. Stay fat. That's what I'm doing!

Or get a lead backplate. Ideal.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Ill be safe from radiation with a lead back plate I wont be able to stand up but what the hell.

nigel

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Did someone cut your arm off? 3lb in a week? Jesus. I need a diet like that.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Some swear by (at?) colonic irrigation to get rid of the 10lb of undigestedmeat that can sit there.

Nice  

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ Feb. 10 2004,20:09)]Did someone cut your arm off? 3lb in a week? Jesus. I need a diet like that.
<font color='#000080'>Nope, slimming world.  I lost 1 1/2 lb the week before too.

and i can eat chocolate, drink and still lose weight!

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

someone once told me i could lose 10lb of useless fat by chopping off my head...

seriously tho PORG when i lost 10lb earlier this year i ended up taking a kg off and used 9kg instead of 10.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

So are we saying lose 10lb take off 1kg?

nigel

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

yes, fat is floaty isnt it? it's not a precise science...

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

This is new, divers being concerned about how fat they are or not, looking at the car parks around most dive sites you'd be forgiven for thinking divers actively want to be fat

I wouldn't get hung up on 1,2, 3, 4  lbs or whatever of weight loss, or rather weight fluctuation, which is what it really is. I weigh myself once a week at the gym and it can vary by several kilos from one week to the next. I hate to disappoint anyone but most rapid weight loss that people see on weight-loss diets is merely water, not fat. If you want to know how much fat you're carrying you need those fat% scales which measure your fat content via electrical resistance (assuming this method is actually reliable, which I'm not sure of)

BTW I'm not being fat-ist here, I'm currently heavier than I've ever been before
Cheers
Steve

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Feb. 11 2004,13:18)]This is new, divers being concerned about how fat they are or not, looking at the car parks around most dive sites you'd be forgiven for thinking divers actively want to be fat
As previously posted, I am convinced that fat is a nitrogen reservoir and helps delay the absorbtion of nitrogen into the slow tissues.

The number of "fat divers" is proof that not only is my theory correct but you are witnessing evolution in progress as originally postulated by Mr Darwin.

As somebody noted once - when was the last time you saw a skinny seal?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

AND.... just to back your theory up, just look at any BSAC National Instuctor, they're all overweight, in fact a certain University Diving Officer I know, who is also a BSAC NI is colloquially known amongst the students  as "The Walrus in Neoprene"

·
Liberal Lefty
1,694 Posts
Imported post

It's unlikely to be a hard and fast rule - it depends on what you are doing to lose weight (reducing calorie intake or exercising more or both).  Taking more exercise may build up your muscles while the fat is going - fat is more floaty than muscle.  

However, humans are not too far off neutrally buoyant (without clothes and a lung full of air of course) so you may need to lose less lead than you think unless you're losing massive amounts of weight.  I'd try just taking 1kg off for most amounts of weight loss and do a buoyancy check

I, on the other hand, am going for the 'fat as nitrogen sink' approach as proposed by finless.  Pass the pies please ....

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Feb. 11 2004,14:08)]AND.... just to back your theory up, just look at any BSAC National Instuctor, they're all overweight,
Not in my club. Ours are as thin as sparrows with no sign of any blubber. And they don't seem to breath underwater

Mind you, I'm not the one who gets cold.

Laters,
   JAnos

1 - 16 of 16 Posts