YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I am preparing a bio of the most famous caves from Puerto Aventuras to Tulum and was wondering what caves do you prefer diving when you are in the area.
Also, if you have little stories from the landowner or first explorer, I would greatly appreciate.
Thanks to all.

Cheers

J

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, keep 'em coming guys! :)
Tulum obviously has the largest concentration of caves. Any of you have done Chan Hol?

On the other hand, cave like Tajma Ha, near Puerto Aventuras is really underestimated, as it has all sorts of cave passage. Power cave, decorated, sidemount etc...

The list goes on. Please continue sharing the places you've enjoyed the most :)

Cheers

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Any of you have done Chan Hol?
Yup.

It would be a dangerous presumption to make given the proliferation of caves in that area but I think we have dived most of the backmountable caves there now including a lot of the hard to access ones.

For power caves, the run to cenote Gemini in Ox bel ha takes some beating. Have a look at my site for a report of this and a few other memorable Mexican dives. No hooch to the blue abyss was another, slightly more regularly dived, route I enjoyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I enjoyed Nohoch, particularly the small sidemount passage I was squeezing through bringing down a load of rubble on my head then getting a reverse block on the wrong side of the sump, getting out at the next cenote up and having to walk 30 min through the jungle on a compass bearing to get back to my car :D Doh!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
I also enjoyed Minotauro because the halocline was about half a metre above the cave floor, so I had the weird illusion that I was going thru the cave above the water surface. Felt like I was flying.

Jason

·
Registered
733 Posts
Any of you have done Chan Hol?
Yes, last week actually :)
Not sure I can single it down to a single cave, it would be easier to say what I didn't like.

Erm, actually no it wouldn't, I can't think of any I don't like!

My top three would be Chan Hol / Dos Pisos / Minotauro

cheers,
Paul

·
Tonton Flaneur
649 Posts
Great to meet you Paul. (If that's you)
Fred Devos said to me that in the future people will go to Mexico to dive "The cave" once it's all been connected.
So that's my vote, "The Cave"
Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hi Clare,
I like reading reports on your site, very detailed and nicely written too. I take your words on Gemini! ;) The other memorable dives are the one I am interested in :))

Nohoch to BA is a chapter of cave diving history, on its own. You have to be worthy cave diver to get there but the reward is high.

Funny you say that about Minotauro Jason, I was there today. The halocline is high at the moment so it is like you say: flying above water!

How about Dos Palmas? Downstream and upstream... Untapped cave and lots of nice passages and of course famous traverse to Dos Ojos.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great to meet you Paul. (If that's you)
Fred Devos said to me that in the future people will go to Mexico to dive "The cave" once it's all been connected.
So that's my vote, "The Cave"
Jim
agree with you Jim, can't wait to see this moment happen!!
(got to go knotting some line!)

·
MIFLEX DIR = "Did It Rupture"??
3,737 Posts
agree with you Jim, can't wait to see this moment happen!!
(got to go knotting some line!)

I have about 5 kilometres of the stuff - good to know there may be a use for it, (and then some)

G

1 - 16 of 16 Posts