YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
old member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Am thinking of running a couple of trips next year in Scapa with all dives guided by myself and Barry, we would take 6 divers each, it would mean an extra charge of about £20 per diver per day but would certainly give the newer divers to Scapa a far better diving experience on each wreck. A specific brief on each wreck would be given and schematics shown using the new bottom scans from Dundee university to show our intended tour route mixed with footage of the wrecks etc etc .
Is this a good idea or do the majority still want to explore without aid?
Thinking about May 2008 .
Feedback please:teeth:

John Thornton

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
An excellent idea, you can't beat local knowledge.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
old member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
should i decide on dates then, if someone wants to take on organising the trips I would be tempted to donate a place to them.
John Thornton

·
Banned
153 Posts
Good luck

Best of luck with your idea, Scapa diving encompasses all sorts and some divers would benefit from guidance.

Given that the German wrecks are well-plotted and comprehensively documented it might be valuable to have the benefit of local knowledge to negotiate the massive upturned hulls of the battleships and the swim-throughs on the cruisers.

I think the dive guide concept is great for Scapa and I wish the guys all the best with their endeavours. Variety is the spice of life and Scapa is a big enough site to accommodate the demands of all manner of diving.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Good idea for those that like to be guided, but I think 6 divers each is too many, especially on a day with marginal viz. You need to think about protocol for separation from the guide, and if the guide loses the guidees or vice versa (and how can you ever apportion blame in a group situation), who pays?

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Good idea for those that like to be guided, but I think 6 divers each is too many, especially on a day with marginal viz. You need to think about protocol for separation from the guide, and if the guide loses the guidees or vice versa (and how can you ever apportion blame in a group situation), who pays?
That's what I thought too. I think guided dives would be a brilliant idea, but the chances of keeping a group of 7 divers (6+guide) together are pretty slim.

A group of 2 or 3 would work well - but probably not be economically viable :(

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
It sounds an excellent idea, but there are a couple of other things to think about. As the divers would be paying for the guides, then the godforsaken HSE comes into play and all the regs that go along with that, such as safety diver, surface cover, paperwork etc.

There would need to be some sort of commonality in the group - for example you couldn't really expect a pair of twinset deco divers to dive alongside a pair on 15+ pony recreational divers, because of the difference in anticipated dive time. It may need to be a group specifically for guided dives.

This sort of thing works abroad, so why not here!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
This sort of thing works abroad, so why not here!
One word...

VIZ!

On a good Scapa day, great. On a bad Scapa day - hah! We all know how easy it is to lose a buddy in poor viz, let alone another 6 folk.

I would want to be next to the wreck, not out from it, in order to get a good view etc, and hence you would be looking at 7 people all in a row, potentially. Therefore, to guide effectively I would have thought a guide front and rear would be more realistic.

On the plus side, guided tours in themselves are a good idea, especially on trips where you may only get one shot at diving a particular wreck - it is so easy to miss the "star turns" of each wreck. Then again, I usually miss the guns because I am admiring a particularily fine fish or slug :D

·
old member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its not a problem, we have done it lots of times, the key to it working is taking your time and not rushing. I wouldnt suggest it if we had not tried it out. I regularly do it for groups that are up on the boat and have not had a problem. Barry and I will probably have comms with us anyway.

JT

·
old member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
regarding the HSE, all is in order, we are both commercial divers and instructors, just an extension of what we already do old chap.

·
Banned
153 Posts
Fish

Would you be referring to the 'Marilyn Monroe' fish that likes to pose for shots over the hull of the Karlsruhe? I think it was a pollack actually but whatever, it did seem to be checking for angles and lights!!

As to the guns, I did nearly put my eye out on the bow gun of the F2, so easy to miss a little gun like that!! Didn't get down to the real biggies on the monsters but I plan to rectify that on my next visit.

Regarding the guide concept, I wondered when the HSE would raise its head along with the compatibility questions of different dive gear and capabilities. It seems apparent that guided diving has advantages but whether they outweigh the complications has to be assessed on a group by group basis.

Anything that contributes to safe and enjoyable diving has to be applauded, it remains to be seen whether the guide suggestion can be feasibly applied. A trip to Scapa is already a logistical headache for most of us without looking for extra complications.

·
Banned
153 Posts
Commercial etc

Have just seen your post regarding your status and experience: 'nuff said!!

As before, best wishes for the endeavour, I think there are people out there that would want to go down your suggested route.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Its not a problem, we have done it lots of times, the key to it working is taking your time and not rushing.
That's true enough. It is a case of going at the speed of the slowest person as in most group activities. I guess you aren't penetrating the wrecks either, are you?

That, of course, means no-one would like to be in a group with me as "snail's pace" is a fairly accurate description!

·
old member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
why would divers of different configs be a problem, we might all go in at the same time but we dont need to come up at the same time, singles can go to the surface when they want to and long stay types can stay with us. One of the benefits of the wrecks up here is the huge relief , go to the top of the wreck and bag off when it suits.
Overhead environment stuff is okay as well as long as all are happy, the bits I go thru with groups are adventurous but safe and if an individual is not happy then they are briefed to stay put while we return, about 3 minutes. Please remember folks we are not teaching people to dive on these dives, we are showing them the interesting bits, they can come and go as they please.
Brains can be left on:angel: it is an option

JTI

·
Registered
486 Posts
its got to be worth a go.......even a good breffing before would be good. When I did scapa and other wrecks I read as much as can before about the history etc
it makes the dive so much more interesting.

Rustferret.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts