YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I want it all....
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night, in preparation for diving, I tried a new hood on (as I've posted before, I have a big head). It's quite tight and I wore it for about 5 mins but after I took it off I felt a bit light headed for about 10 minutes.
The dizzyness wasn't bad and I could live with it when diving but I'm worried that it might get worse or be indicative of something else.
I remember from my course that too tight a neck seal can cause high blood pressure so could a hood that it too tight also cause this, and the subsequent dizzyness ?

·
I want it all....
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, meant to post this in the dive medicine room, could a helpful mod move please.

·
Platinum Member - I wish...
776 Posts
My hood is a pain to get on, but once on fits my head fine and i'm quite comfortable with it.

If it on it's own was causing headaches and pain I wouldn't dive with it cause IMHO anything putting excessive pressure on your skull can't be a good thing. I guess there is also a risk of you passing out if makes you feel light-headed which could be disasterous whilst diving.

I think Scapa Scuba make their own hoods and you may be able to send your measurements up to them and get (in their opinion) a relatively plain hood.
New Scapa Scuba

·
Has the bouyancy of a drunk seal
142 Posts
Hi,

I too have a big head and a thick neck (19")- A too tight neck seal can have a major affect on your ability to breath, I went from a rental latex neck seal to a Seaskin neoprene and the difference is unbelievable. (Red beetroot to a flushed pink when getting ready lol)

I would say that the hood being too tight around your throat area would make a difference in the same way. If you feel the cold on your head or ears, why not buy a Bare Beanie - I use one instead of a hood and its a lot more comfier.

Hope this helps
Simon
The other night, in preparation for diving, I tried a new hood on (as I've posted before, I have a big head). It's quite tight and I wore it for about 5 mins but after I took it off I felt a bit light headed for about 10 minutes.
The dizzyness wasn't bad and I could live with it when diving but I'm worried that it might get worse or be indicative of something else.
I remember from my course that too tight a neck seal can cause high blood pressure so could a hood that it too tight also cause this, and the subsequent dizzyness ?

·
I want it all....
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say that the hood being too tight around your throat area would make a difference in the same way. If you feel the cold on your head or ears, why not buy a Bare Beanie - I use one instead of a hood and its a lot more comfier.
The Bare Beanie sounds like a good idea, if it will fit ok. Do you mind me asking what size head you have (mine is 63cm) ?

·
Has the bouyancy of a drunk seal
142 Posts
My head size is 61cm - The beanie stretches after a couple of dives too, so dont be put off if you think its a snug fit in the shop,they are a generous size i.e. covers my ears, back of the head and and forehead without squeeze.

See if you can borrow one first - I asked a pal at my local lake and tried his, it had been worn a couple of times and it was fine.

Its better than a hood cos you dont have the cheek squashing or the restriction around the throat. (I have a waterproof hood that is a good hood but the Beanie is a step change as far as comfort.)
Its easier to get off post dive too.

Simon
The Bare Beanie sounds like a good idea, if it will fit ok. Do you mind me asking what size head you have (mine is 63cm) ?

·
Is somewhere else!
4,728 Posts
A neck seal or hood thats too tight round the neck is a major badness and something you shouldnt dive with.

It doesnt cause high blood pressure exactly......

Your body generally adjusts its blood pressure automatically, and the sensor for it is in the neck, so... constrict the neck too much and your body thinks that you have high blood pressure
and so lowers it to suit, but the pressure is still there, so lowers it again, but your neck is still being squeezed, and so...etc.
Until you pass out. Not from high blood pressure, but from it being too low.
Hence your dizzyness I'd suspect.

You dont really want that happening underwater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts