YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Partly Worn
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else watch Panorama tonight?

I'm not normally one to rant or express emotions in a public forum but watching this programme has left me seething and at the same time close to tears and with a need to get this off my chest.

I'd say I'm pretty innured to man's inhumanity to man, I've experienced violence (both giving and occasionally taking) and I don't have a particularly high regard for the human species having seen some of the excesses we're capable of, but the scum on this programme really did fail to meet even my low expectations.

Cowardice, total and utter, lower than a snake's belly cowardice - the only way to describe the people featured on this programme.

And as for the snivelling regulator who couldn't even state clearly for the record "we fucked up here and we failed these people" without trying to hedge his bets - shame on you!

I'd really like to meet "Wayne" on the street but hopefully the bastard is doing time and getting a little taste of his own medicine.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I din't watch this programme but remember a previous Panorama where a highly biased slant was taken on events to make the 'other side' look worse than it actually was. I'd previously respected Panorama but this made me doubtful as to their integrity.

Leaving emotion aside & looking objectively, was there any biased reporting here? Anything worthy of closer inspection?

RS

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts

·
13.05.2012 QPRmageddon Day
1,948 Posts
I din't watch this programme but remember a previous Panorama where a highly biased slant was taken on events to make the 'other side' look worse than it actually was. I'd previously respected Panorama but this made me doubtful as to their integrity.

Leaving emotion aside & looking objectively, was there any biased reporting here? Anything worthy of closer inspection?

RS
Well its all over the news this morning, seems like the 4 main abusers are under a police investigation and in total 13 staff have been suspended.
Horrible bastards all of them.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
I didn't watch this but you can't escape it on the media today.

Mans inhumanity to man never surprises me but the thought that did cross my mind is it show what worthless crap CRB checks are...

·
Registered
883 Posts
Well its all over the news this morning, seems like the 4 main abusers are under a police investigation and in total 13 staff have been suspended.
Horrible bastards all of them.
To be fair, my question was with regard to the possibility of biased reporting as opposed to whether the main point of the programme was true.

RS

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
I watched it last night on iPlayer. It was horrific.

I don't understand how that was able to go on under the noses of the CQC because I know how regularly and how thoroughly they inspect care homes. One piece of missing paperwork, one thing out place and they can and they will embargo a home. Home managers and regional managers live in fear of being embargoed and make sure that everything is impeccable at all times - how that home carried on that way is beyond comprehension.

I recently turned up unannounced at a local dementia home. It was 7pm and the home manager was still in her office. I knocked, went in and asked if I could see the home. The manager checked the time, she had an hour before a meeting and took me around there and then.

She not only knew all of the 80 or so residents by name but she introduced me to each and every one of them by giving me a brief history of their life "and this is John, John served in the Royal Artillery until 1955 seeing action in both the desert and European theatres. After he retired he bought a farm in Gloucester where he built a home for his wife and three children....". It was an impressive example of something known as "PEARL" which is used in dementia care to reinforce personal identity and association between the information and the person. As we went around the level of professionalism amongst the staff was of the very highest level. It was spotlessly clean, there were activities going on everywhere and I questioned the home manager about fire safety, overnight staffing levels, emergency protocols, security, smoking policy, drug administration, CQC compliance - every question I had the manager was able to immediately and comprehensively answer.

The home that featured on Panorama last was a world away from the home I visited and I hope that the appalling failures in Bristol don't tarnish the entire sector because from what I've seen the standard is very high indeed.

Last night it was bored, unqualified chavs abusing vulnerable people for amusement and ego. These people should flip burgers for a living or clean service station toilets. They have no place in the professional care sector. It's a failure of management, it's failure recruitment, training, compliance inspection and so on. To solely blame the idiots dishing out the abuse is to miss the point - this is failure of senior management and regulatory compliance; it's a display of criminal abuse against some of the defenceless people in society and I hope all involved are called to account.

·
Registered
10,736 Posts

RS
The reporter reported what he saw, and that was shocking. Unbelievably shocking. He did not film the good carers, just the criminals who assaulted vulnerable adults. It needed to be biased (focusing on the abuse) to get the point accross because previous complaints about this home, and the staff working there, had been ignored.

There is no excuse, none whatsoever, for any carer to abuse and bully a vulnerable patient / fellow human being.

The sad thing is that there are many, many excellent untrained carers who are kind and hard working but I suspect that the behaviour of "Wayne" and his posse is not isolated to that one institution.

·
Se mi havus multe da mono mi acxetus novan biciklo
1,030 Posts
can anyone elaborate on what the program was about so that i can find it on line
Summary: The BBC received reports of abuse of severely disabled adults by care assistants in a residential hospital which the regulatory authorities had failed to respond to. A journalist got himself employed as a care assistant and secretly filmed serious acts of abuse by staff against disabled residents. The police have now made a number of arrests and are expected to bring charges.

BBC iPlayer - Panorama: Undercover Care: The Abuse Exposed

·
Se mi havus multe da mono mi acxetus novan biciklo
1,030 Posts
Last night it was bored, unqualified chavs abusing vulnerable people for amusement and ego. These people should flip burgers for a living or clean service station toilets. They have no place in the professional care sector. It's a failure of management, it's failure recruitment, training, compliance inspection and so on. To solely blame the idiots dishing out the abuse is to miss the point - this is failure of senior management and regulatory compliance; it's a display of criminal abuse against some of the defenceless people in society and I hope all involved are called to account.
Indeed, but I bet it's only the bored, unqualified chavs who are held to account. The attitudes which allowed this to happen must be going right to the top.

I've just read a discussion on a forum for people with learning disabilities, and some are not surprised at all, because they've seen similar behaviour elsewhere.

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
I didn't watch this but you can't escape it on the media today.

Mans inhumanity to man never surprises me but the thought that did cross my mind is it show what worthless crap CRB checks are...
ironic that

·
run me a fooking fault tree on dat ,,
1,181 Posts
Watched it last night could not understand how people like this got hired so not only wayne and his posse should be horse whipped but the shites who hired them

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Hi.

Sandra is a registered mental nurse and has looked after mentally ill patients nearly all her life until retirement from the NHS, she now works in the community at a residential home for mentally challenged individuals that are now quite old.. She had an incident last year where she had to report a member of staff for an incident which ended in the person losing her job and now can not be involved in any caring environment..

This period has been very stressful for her and continues within the home as everybody is now paranoid about how the patients are looked after.. Sandra said this is the first time in over 35 years of looking after mentally ill patients she has witnessed any problems with anybody looking after patients.

On one occasion she and a couple of other nurses took some patients out for the day to Peasholm Park in Scarborough, while there one of the patients kicked off and started to swing Sandra round by her hair, a member of the public inocently stepped in to try and "Save" Sandra and ended up getting thumped by the male patient, Sandra reasoned with the patient and calmed him down, the member of the public couldn't believe that these woman could be so restrained and caring for a patient that was trying to hurt them.. And that is what most of the folk in care homes and mental hospitals are like. So It would be wrong to paint all the carers with the same brush as the individuals in the program..

Edit
Sandra has just had a phone call from the home she works at from her boss, one of her lady residents that Sandra looks after has just been taken into Hull Royal and apparently the elderly lady with no immediate family is dying, so Sandra is going to the hospital tomorrow to visit her even though Sandra is on sick just coming out of the Same hospital a couple of days ago.. She doesn't have to but this is the mark of the woman..

Reactions: 42

·
Partly Worn
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So It would be wrong to paint all the carers with the same brush as the individuals in the program..
I don't think anybody is Ray, I think most of us are in awe of people who spend their lives working in such a difficult environment for such a small reward.
Frankly it's humbling to watch somebody who really cares, whether it's mental health, geriatric, peadeatric or just plain old grumpy ungrateful cardiac patients who think waiting two minutes for the buzzer to be answered is cause for a compliant.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts