YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>OK, just got back to uni after a few days away, and my internet connection is virtually unuseable, because of popups every few mintues that then open around 30 windows as soon as I try and delete them. I am blaming the housemates. They are the only ones that can have caused this, as it was bad before, but manageable.

I've used Ad-Aware, and it's not helping. Norton is picking up viruses faster than I know what to do with, and as most of them can't be cleaned or quarantined, I have to delete things to get rid of them. Which I don't want to do.

I get the feeling this is all coming about because of a few selected viruses or something like on my computer that are causing the popups and generally really pulling my chain.

Any suggestions? Something more powerful than ad-aware? Something to stop any popups at all? Can I turn them off? Surely it must be an option? The only thing I want to pop up when I'm on the net is a window I choose by clicking on something. Not (ironically enough) popups telling me that they can cure popups forever. Which I'm certain they can't, because housemates will always find a way to use sites full of virus junk.

One that's been coming up for a while (even before i went away) is PurityScan, which is apparently a Data Miner? I don't know what this is, but the computer can't get rid of it, or the thing that's causing it to come up again and again.

Any help much appreciated.

Digs.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi,

try spybot - Spybot website.... It normally finds stuff which is missed by Adaware. I would also get ZoneAlarm if you are not already using it. I bought the Pro version as it's better than the free one. You could also download the Google toolbar and turn the popup blocker on. I find it works pretty well.

If you have a virus you can normally find removal instructions or removal tools on the Symantec website.

HTH

Mark.

Good luck! I would ban your house mates from using the PC if I were you. I love cleaning crap like that from PC's and it sounds like I would have a field day with yours  

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Field day? You've got at least a week here.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give those a go tonight, and then see how she runs in the morning.

Free downloads is what I'm all about. Being a student and all.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>And the housemates don't mean any harm, it could have been me for taht matter, but I've just come back and it's definitely a lot worse than it was when I left. So who knows. It might be useful to set up different accounts and that way things stay in other sections don't they? I suppose viruses are designed to get through measly windows barriers!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>You may want to try using Opera for your web browsing. It's much better tha IE and you won't get pop ups. It's free and I would recommend you download it and give it a go. You can still use IE when you want but you will probably stick with Opera when you have got to grips with it.

Regards,

Mark.:;):

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Ha ha! Spybot is finding lots of stuff! Loads of it! And I think I can narrow some of this down. Housemates should not be playing on sme of these sites on my computer.

Right. Time for some Digger-style justice...

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Nice one.

Just a quick tip about Spybot..

Make sure your reference file is up to date by doing the update procedure (on a regular basis)

if you start it up you should see the 'Immunize' button. Get that switched on and also set the permanently running bad download blocker to silently block bad downloads. You will have then prevented any further crap from getting on there.

Regards,

Mark.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I just found those options, and swithed them on. Great minds I suppose!

Thanks for your help. I thin I've basically got it nailed. It said that Ad-Aware might pick up bits of Spybot, but I suppose I'll just have to watch out when deleting stuff using it.

Right then. Off to bed. I'm going diving tomorrow! I knew there was a reason I should be asleep by now!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

AS well as Spybot, try using  the free internet browser Crazybrowser, this has a built in pop-up blocker which is a doddle to add further pop-ups to. I've used this as my only browser for the past two years and only ever rarely see a pop-up

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Digger,

I had a similar problem to you last year and a friend recomended the free verrsion of Zone Alarm. Its a fire wall which only allows incoming data which you elect to be known and trusted sources. I'll show you when your up on the 16th.

Dave C

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

go directly to the sink, do not pass go, do not collect £200, and wash your mouth out with soap  young missy

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I demand an apology! I wouldn't mind, but it's not actually my fault!

OK, some of the early stuff was my fault, but the housemates have definitely been abusing their internet privileges, the owrrying bit that they may have been abusing themselves at the same time. Filth.

I seem to have nailed it now, no more popups, thanks to Spybot and google toolbar, both free and gratefully received. I might try some others if this goes downhill, but for now I'm a happy Digger again!

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ April 02 2004,13:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dcrampt @ April 02 2004,13:36)]Digger,

I had a similar problem to you
what,

if you were a girl you would have a fanny like a bucket too dave???

Fnar fnar fnar
<font color='#000080'>Do you mind!! this is a family show!!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Diggs,

try PopupStopper from these guys, should be gratis:

Pop-up Blocker

Hope it helps dude.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts