YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Has anyone had any experience of this torch in either umbilical or handheld version?

Regards

Rooster

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Hi Andy

I want to know pretty much everything!

It appeals to me as I am going away for a bit and will only have intermittent access to a charging point, so the 40 hour burn time is a big bonus.

However, a number of people have said to me that it's not that bright (although it is 30 watt equivalent which is the same as the torch I use now) and that the beam is 'yellow' rather than 'white'.

What are your experiences of the burn time?

Also, do you find it bright enough?

Assuming you are in the UK how do you find it in UK viz and light conditions?

Any other comments would be helpful to know so I can make an informed choice.

Cheers for the help.

Regards

Rooster.

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

OK, are you sitting comfortably, well here we go;

1) the burn time is fantastic, I have done a liveaboard for a week and did not charge it once, that was wrecks and 3 nightdives
2) the 30W bit, this is supposed to be equivelent but, there is no real way to give this information, light intensity is usually measured in candellas or lux, but..... white light LED's are actually blue LED's with a phosphor, the LED lights up the phosphor and it is this that emits light at around 5,800 degrees kelvin, if you think halogen is around 4,800 deg. K. then the light can not be yellow, it is in fact quite blue in colour, but not as blue as HID. The lamp head gives a bit of an odd beam, it has a fairly bright centre, from about 3 M this would measure about a foot in diameter, with a further less intense spread to about 2~3 feet out side of this. It is not as bright as I would really, really want it to be, but at no point have I ever found it to not be bright enough, but as for 30W, it just can not be compared as this is a measure of power consumption.

UK viz and light, again, it has not been a problem, so far it has been more than good enough.

The big thing for me was it's convenience, long burn times and a better than reasonable light intensity. Also, with the umbilical, you can get an HID head which fits all the same bits, so if I really wanted a very bright lamp I could add one of these to it. So far it has not been necessary.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the info Andy.

It sounds like it could be the torch for me. It is mainly going to be used for night diving in good viz in the next few months so it sounds like it will be plenty good enough.

Have just done my sums and it may last the whole time I am away without a charge  if I don't use it on my day dives!

Added bonus that I can upgrade it to HID if needs be when I get back to the UK.

Am I right in thinking that, like other Greenforce torches, the head can screw directly into the canister making it a handheld?

If so it makes sense for me to get umbilical and then I have both options.

Thanks for all your help on this Andy, much appreciated.

Regards

Rooster

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Yep,

My plan is to get the HID with a hand held canister. Just need the next bonus first.

Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts