YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am petrified of the dentist (and consequently never go :frown: :redface: ). However, due to chronic toothache I am being forced to go, so I've got an appointment on Weds afternoon at 3pm.

I'm supposed to be acting as DM on a dive on Weds evening. If I have a filling or extraction, will I be able to dive or should I change my appointment?

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Depends...

if it's an extraction, particularly a molar, then you may well be too distracted by pain to be 100% safe in the water. A filling shouldn't be a problem though.

Remember: if in doubt, don't dive.

Good luck from a fellow dentaphobe, Chris

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if it's an extraction, particularly a molar, then you may well be too distracted by pain to be 100% safe in the water. A filling shouldn't be a problem though.

Remember: if in doubt, don't dive.

Good luck from a fellow dentaphobe, Chris
Hmm. I think I might be in for an extraction :frown:

I've stocked up with Nurofen, clove oil and soluble disprin. If the pain subsides I shall cancel the appointment, craven coward that I am.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Horror stories of cavities, expanding air from ascents and exploding teeth spring to mind. Also how painful is it to bite on the reg? Any tissue tenderness, risking DCI in those spots, etc?

You know it makes sense - health comes first, water will always be there. :)

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Horror stories of cavities, expanding air from ascents and exploding teeth spring to mind. Also how painful is it to bite on the reg? Any tissue tenderness, risking DCI in those spots, etc?

You know it makes sense - health comes first, water will always be there. :)
The toothache only started last night (and by God, I was in agony) so I haven't tried biting on a reg yet. It's a dull ache at the moment, the worst has passed. It hurt so much last night that I didn't know what to do with myself.

I know I need to get it sorted, I do get twinges after diving because of the cold water.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Kirstie,
I had a filling repaired last wee, I mentioned I was a diver, the dentist suggested I wait 48hrs before diving. Not sure if that would be the same advice if you were just doing it in a swimming pool though.
Matt

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hi Kirstie

I can sympathise, I'm off to the Dentist on Thursday afternoon for an extraction :eek:mg:

I had it prescribed last Tuesday and the Dentist put me on antibiotics for a week to "calm it down". I haven't had any problems with diving with the tooth as it is, but I did take the precaustion of booking the appointment AFTER this weeks Wednesday evening dive and not before as I don't think I'll be in a fit state for a day or two.

I hate the Dentist as well, so if you want we can compare notes after :redface:

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kirstie,
I had a filling repaired last wee, I mentioned I was a diver, the dentist suggested I wait 48hrs before diving. Not sure if that would be the same advice if you were just doing it in a swimming pool though.
Matt
I see. I'm due to DM an AOW navigation dive off a boat on Wed evening. Perhaps I'll change (cancel) my appointment.

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Kirstie

I can sympathise, I'm off to the Dentist on Thursday afternoon for an extraction :eek:mg:

I had it prescribed last Tuesday and the Dentist put me on antibiotics for a week to "calm it down". I haven't had any problems with diving with the tooth as it is, but I did take the precaustion of booking the appointment AFTER this weeks Wednesday evening dive and not before as I don't think I'll be in a fit state for a day or two.

I hate the Dentist as well, so if you want we can compare notes after :redface:
It's funny, I've never in my life had a bad experience at the dentist (I was always made to go regularly as a child) but I'm so terrified I can barely sit still in the chair.

Perhaps I'll see if they've got an appointment later on......

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts
If you have that much toothache then it sounds as though the pulp, ( nerve) of the tooth is involved. The pain goes as the tooth dies, and you then forget about it until the resultant empty air space gives you agony on a dive. Antbiotics are of little / no help. Taking ibuprofen is a good idea though. It helps our anaesthetic work better.

Don't be apprehensive re the treatment, you will be fine, better to get it done now, rather that loose a holiday because of pain. I saw a chap a couple of weeks ago the day he flew out to Dahab, he was most grateful to have things sorted so he could enjoy his diving.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out,

Bill

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have that much toothache then it sounds as though the pulp, ( nerve) of the tooth is involved. The pain goes as the tooth dies, and you then forget about it until the resultant empty air space gives you agony on a dive. Antbiotics are of little / no help. Taking ibuprofen is a good idea though. It helps our anaesthetic work better.

Don't be apprehensive re the treatment, you will be fine, better to get it done now, rather that loose a holiday because of pain. I saw a chap a couple of weeks ago the day he flew out to Dahab, he was most grateful to have things sorted so he could enjoy his diving.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out,

Bill
Are you a dentist? :frown: I'm sure you're a very nice person but you people scare me witless.

I've changed my appointment to Friday 9am. Can I take Nurofen and soluble aspirin at the same time?

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts
Yep I am a dentist, but I try to keep it quiet as people don't talk to me any more then! Best to take Ibuprofen and Paracetemol rather than aspirin. For doses take a look at my web page, SGDC - Aftercare

Bill

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep I am a dentist, but I try to keep it quiet as people don't talk to me any more then! Best to take Ibuprofen and Paracetemol rather than aspirin. For doses take a look at my web page, SGDC - Aftercare

Bill
Fancy a trip to Plymouth for an extraction? I'll pay for a day's diving on Aquanaut if you promise not to hurt.

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Kirstie, I feel the same way as you but plucked up the courage and got my gob sorted out a few weeks ago. I had an extraction and left it a few days before I dived. The dentist was brilliant and they're all trained to put you at ease. I'd bite the bullet (sorry) and get it dealt with before it becomes a worse problem. Have you thought of some sort of hypnotherapy? Good luck.:)

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Are you a dentist? :frown: I'm sure you're a very nice person but you people scare me witless.

I've changed my appointment to Friday 9am. Can I take Nurofen and soluble aspirin at the same time?
Neurofen + (with the Codeine) are the pills to pop. You can saw a leg off after a couple of them and it's only a minor irritation. See- pop a bit of opiate based pain killers in there and you are away.

Alternatively a £10 bag of smack and some tin foil will do the trick too and is about the same price as 24 Nurofen +.

Explosive dental barotrauma. Look it up on the interweb. And yes it is as bad as it sounds.

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you thought of some sort of hypnotherapy? Good luck.:)
I have thought about that, but don't want to start stripping every time I hear the word 'kumquat'. I trust hypnotists even less than I trust dentists.

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
I have thought about that, but don't want to start stripping every time I hear the word 'kumquat'. I trust hypnotists even less than I trust dentists.
I think you may be confusing stage hypnotism with hypnotherapy. At no time do you actually lose conciousness, trust me!

Now when I click my fingers, get 'em out.:)

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Explosive dental barotrauma. Look it up on the interweb. And yes it is as bad as it sounds.
Don't. I can imagine.

The 'good' news is that the tooth in question is more hole than tooth so i don't think it'll explode.

The bad news, of course, is that it'll almost definitely have to come out. :frown:

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts
Fancy a trip to Plymouth for an extraction? I'll pay for a day's diving on Aquanaut if you promise not to hurt.
Don't be in a rush to have it taken out. Even if it's decayed it can still often be saved. Have a route around my site for more details, all I do is Root Canal work, ( Yes I know! ) I don't take out teeth.

I'm sure there will be an excellent service in Plymouth, haven't you just got a new dental / medical school down there a bit ago? Nearest person I personally know is Gosport sadly. I don't like to suggest peeps I don't know.

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't be in a rush to have it taken out. Even if it's decayed it can still often be saved. Have a route around my site for more details, all I do is Root Canal work, ( Yes I know! ) I don't take out teeth.

I'm sure there will be an excellent service in Plymouth, haven't you just got a new dental / medical school down there a bit ago? Nearest person I personally know is Gosport sadly. I don't like to suggest peeps I don't know.
I've heard about a new surgery in Plymouth which is staffed by Polish dentists but it's a bit of a hike from where I live/work. I've managed to get in at a practice just up the road from work (as a private patient) so hopefully they'll be ok.

I don't want the tooth taken out as it'll show if I smile broadly (it's about three from the back on the upper right-hand side - probably got a special dentist's name like 'upper molar Alan 3'). But when I get the bill I won't have much to smile broadly about, I suspect.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts