YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Imported post

To DIN or not to DIN, that is the question.
Seriously, this is a pretty loose link, but does anyone know which is the more popular fitting in Australia, DIN or Yoke?
I was planning on taking my own regs out there next month and was wondering if I'm going to get one of those A-Clamp to DIN converter thingummybobbies.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

If your kit is already DIN then there should be no problems Clive - its a simple task using an allen key to take out a section of the pillar valve on the tank to allow for DIN connections. If you're on an A clamp, you should also be ok as that still seems the worldwide standard.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

Paxo, you will find that the A clamp is standard in Oz - although no doubt if you are diving with rufty tufty tekkies they may be dinned-up.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

good laad, knew youd see sense soon enough!!!

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Sometimes you can get tanks - I did in Bali - that are a-clamp only (they don't have the insert like on my tank)

Converters are less than 20 quid and can be worthwhile.

I went DIN from the off and much prefer them. I have an a-clamp pony. That'll be going DIN if I don't get the twinset in the near future. And even then I'll probably do it anyway.

Have a great time in OZ !!!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Same here Gav

Before I went over to Cyprus, I called the dive centre and asked if they supported DIN, I was told yes only to find that they threw me a converter. so my DIN reg was screwed into an A-clamp adpater which was then attached to the bottle.... the worst of two worlds really.

A lot of dive centres may still be using the older pillar valves without the screw in centre.

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Hey - Heads up - also want to convert my TX40`s to DIN. Did you go 7 thread or 5 ??. Also where did you get the parts, how much were they and do you get converting instructions

Any info would be appreciated

Kirky

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from kirky on 1:43 pm on Sep. 8, 2002
Hey - Heads up - also want to convert my TX40`s to DIN. Did you go 7 thread or 5 ??. Also where did you get the parts, how much were they and do you get converting instructions
<span =''>

Ordered the parts through my local dive shop (Seadog in Huddersfield). Cost £30 each (also mithered them to change them over for me while I was there!) Got the 7 thread one (no reason - thats what came!)

Regards

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

30 quid!!!!

20 at divers warehouse mate, sorry n all that..

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

With regards the A-Clamp to DIN converter for APeks regs, I just got mine from Go-Dive (http://www.godive-uk.com/) for £20 (plus £2 P&P). The 300 bar (7 thread) I believe is standard (which is what I got), and it arrived very quickly. My only problem is getting the A clamp off! If your local dive shop will do the job, probably best get them to - will be paying mine a visit!
Cheers

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I want to convert my TX's to DIN too, what's this 7 thread or 5 thread question about? Is it the 'length' of the screw fitting as there is only one actual screwthread on it ??

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Steve
The 5 thread is 232 bar, 7 threads is for 300 bar cylinders. I believe the 300 bar DIN converter comes as standard, but best check when ordering. Think it's detter to have the capability to go up to 300 bar should you ever want to.
Regards
Martin

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Steve,this link should make your question re.5 and 7 threads clear.People should also bear in mind that there are 2 types of DIN fitting.Thankfully one is'nt found much.It looks the same but the pitch is different so it's worth always checking your DIN fittings are compatable,esp.if buying 2nd hand or using anything you don't know eg.hire kit.Cheers,Hobby. http://www.ykrecscuba.org.uk/ukdiver/dinyoke.htm

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Thanks Hobby, that's answered my questions, very informative page by Keith.
Cheers
Steve
(PS in case anyone else uses the link it's uk not yk)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts