YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Fuzzy & Fat
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I bought my self a new undersuit I have found out that my suit does not dump air as quick as it used to. Any tips ????

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
If your new drysuit undersuit is thicker than the old one, or more "fluffY" then the air will be finding it harder to migrate around and vent out of the suit. Spacehopper knows this very well :D

Tip to try, if you don't resolve the issue, wrap some duct tape around your arm/shoulder (assuming that is where your dump valve is), this will stop the suit clogging up the dump valve and will give you an idea as to whether this is causing the problem or not.

·
Fuzzy & Fat
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your new drysuit undersuit is thicker than the old one, or more "fluffY" then the air will be finding it harder to migrate around and vent out of the suit. Spacehopper knows this very well :D

Tip to try, if you don't resolve the issue, wrap some duct tape around your arm/shoulder (assuming that is where your dump valve is), this will stop the suit clogging up the dump valve and will give you an idea as to whether this is causing the problem or not.
Good Idea? I will rob (borrow) a roll from work.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Sorry.....meant cuff or shoulder.......as has been suggested try some electrical or duct tape on the suit near where your valve is. Worked for me with m y Weezle

·
Registered
282 Posts
Since I bought my self a new undersuit I have found out that my suit does not dump air as quick as it used to. Any tips ????
If its a drager cuff dump half a plastic practice golf ball fits over the back of the valve and keeps the valve away from the undersuit.

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Good Idea? I will rob (borrow) a roll from work.
For a cuff dump, I've seen a length of sleeve cut off an old wetsuit used to the same effect.

I'm also told that you can use a hot nail/needle and punch lots of holes, which are self sealed by the heat, into the offending area.

Never done that myself though.

·
Wannabe Lotto Jackpot Winner..!
941 Posts
As with the duct tape etc, you can also use the ready made support bandages you can get for sprains / strains. These are ready made and can easily be put on and off. I use a knee one for my arm / shouder dump, I guess an ankle one would fit just right over the forearm.

Reactions: Hazel W

·
Fuzzy & Fat
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As with the duct tape etc, you can also use the ready made support bandages you can get for sprains / strains. These are ready made and can easily be put on and off. I use a knee one for my arm / shouder dump, I guess an ankle one would fit just right over the forearm.
Yeah that seems more logical, got to beat knackering a good under suit with duct tape.

Cheers
Dave:teeth:

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Other than duct tape ive found bandage/support bandage on the sleeve under where the dump is located works very well.

Ive got a cuff dump and putting that on my lower arm works wonders, others have done the same with a shoulder dump.

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
Do you run the wing for buoyancy? If not, then it's what I'd recommend....keeping your suit as tight as you can comfortably manage. Clearly less air in the suit to start with means less of a need to dump the gas so quickly.

The other thing to do is to slow your ascent a little to ensure all the gas is out of the suit before you move up to the next level....and in that way, stay ahead of the gas in the suit

HTH
Mal

·
I Came on Eileen!!!
816 Posts
I hate shoulder dumps!!!!

Had a similar problem myself.
Bought a Second hand Northern Diver Cortex from a lad in our club. I had always used cuff dumps up to then. Gave the suit a few dives and found the shoulder dump to be a [email protected] to dump from. Anyway bought and fitted a new cuff dump and tried the suit out in Kilkee last weekend. Hey presto, it was like being reunited with an old friend.
Lovely!!!

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Had a similar problem myself.
Bought a Second hand Northern Diver Cortex from a lad in our club. I had always used cuff dumps up to then. Gave the suit a few dives and found the shoulder dump to be a [email protected] to dump from. Anyway bought and fitted a new cuff dump and tried the suit out in Kilkee last weekend. Hey presto, it was like being reunited with an old friend.
Lovely!!!
Have to say, I heard so many horror stories about the transition from cuff to shoulder (auto) dump that I was really nervous when I switched from my membrane with cuff dump to neoprene with auto dump.

I can happily say that so far I have not had any problems. If the suit and undersuit fit properly and the undersuit isn't too bulky or doesn't "retain" too much air then auto dumps are capable of dumping as much if not more air than cuff dumps.

Auto dumps do take getting used to and knowing how to set them properly (ie so that the squeeze is overcome but so that they dump automatically if you rise to a shallower depth) takes some time. Unfortunately I was taught with a cuff dump and cannot for the life of me find autodump setting instructions so most of my learning has been through trial and error.

If you switch to a suit with an auto dump then I would recommend diving with it fully open for a few dives and then slowly adjusting it until you get the setting just right (ie depth = 10m close 2 clicks, 20m close 3 clicks etc) like everything in diving. It takes time and practice and when you change things it usually means starting at step one again.

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Unzip your suit ...

It will dump faster than a rabbit with the runs :D

Graham

·
Fuzzy & Fat
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gaffa tape worked

Cheers for the reply's the Gaffa tape worked OK'ish however Me thinks I will consider Mal's suggestion, however I have my weighting just about right & I dont need lots of air in my suit to maintain buoyancy really just enough to remain comfortable so do you think I should add a little more weight & use the wing????

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
Cheers for the reply's the Gaffa tape worked OK'ish however Me thinks I will consider Mal's suggestion, however I have my weighting just about right & I dont need lots of air in my suit to maintain buoyancy really just enough to remain comfortable so do you think I should add a little more weight & use the wing????
Hi David,

I was not suggesting you add weight at all but that you put the gas in your wing rather than your suit.....ensuring the absolute minimum of gas goes in the suit means there is less to worry about getting out.

HTH
Mal

1 - 20 of 23 Posts