YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
You think I know nothing....and I do!!
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have it on good authority that my spanky new Shearwater will be with me tomorrow, so my three 'temporary mods' are completed ready to get wet on Sunday at Vobster. This unit will do me now untill the main iCCR loop arrives...dont forget OSEL have stated that the next newsletter detailing specifically the sitrep on the iCCR is due out at the beginning of August.

Till then, this puppy will do nicely!!

Mod 1. I cant be dealing with 'Cam Bands', I have fitted APD hard shell quick release for my 4 ltr tall cylinders.......I reinforced the mounts with larger Stainless penny washers on the inside...its nice and rigid, and allows consistant height and ease of attatchement.

Mod 2. I was not happy with the 'void' where the 2ltr 02 cylinder would otherwise be on the iCCR. I ordered a cylinder and OSEL volunteered to swap out the valve on the bottle to remove the need for an adaptor for the M26 02 thread....a delicate beasting with the old dremmel and 20 Superking Lights**and the suit inflate regulator fits beutifully into one of the circular drain holes on the rear of the case, so the bottle sits snug in its correct mounting position....ok, granted you cant turn it off....but who gives a cluck, you can allways remove your suit inflate a bit quick!!......its better than lead and I reckon I'll get a weekend of diving out of 2ltrs!!

Mod3. Much as I would have loved a CE pod I am not prepared to wait any longer, I understand fully the importance of [email protected] getting it right but I need to get wet. Tecme's experimental Non CE pod will do just fine for the time bieng and with 3 teledynes nailed into it and I reckon I'm good to go...fitting it was a breeze, as is all things to do with this unit....its a tecnomorons dream!!
I cannot condone fitting this non CE pod to this unit, it is not sold as such...we all know the score!!......

So far so good.....I will report back after the weekend assuming I live through the experience!!

Some crap piccies for your delight and delectation.

** I lied about the Superkings...I gave up in January!! ( a bit like my feckin diving really!!)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks!

About the internal cylinder, what valve do you have on it?

Could you specify the height and if its a left/right valve?

How tight is the regulator fit? Would say the Apollo regulator fit? Or a DS4?
Not that it matter much you suit regulator arrangement would work.

Thanks!

/Anders

·
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

About the internal cylinder, what valve do you have on it?

Could you specify the height and if its a left/right valve?

How tight is the regulator fit? Would say the Apollo regulator fit? Or a DS4?
Not that it matter much you suit regulator arrangement would work.

Thanks!

/Anders
Hi Anders,

To be honest I dont think either of the regulators you mention will fit 'safely'(but I could be wrong.....I believe H (Moribund on here) has managed something groovy)....remember it isnt the shoehorning it into the box that is the issue(you can always make space at the back of the unit as long as the structural integrity isnt compromised)...its the getting to it in the event of a problem underwater(is that not why Osel stipulated a 'slob knob??).....in my view its suitable only for suit inflate without an independant means to turn it off.

·
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shearwater arrived at 0930 this morning...once again outstanding service from the [email protected] guys considering it was only ordered yesterday!!.....nailed it on and calibrated. All well.

Good to go.

·
Waiting to see what happens
3,844 Posts
Have you checked that Vobster will let you dive a homebuild in their lake?

Digs.
You see all this fannying about waiting for ce and sil3 or whatever- DL finally release a product that users have to modify extensively (voiding any ce etc) just to get to dive and the EA's are happy . Wish my customers where that gullible :p

·
1,036 Posts
Have fun with your new toy :teeth:

Reactions: yanosh59

·
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You see all this fannying about waiting for ce and sil3 or whatever- DL finally release a product that users have to modify extensively (voiding any ce etc) just to get to dive and the EA's are happy . Wish my customers where that gullible :p
Clearly you need to get some facts M8.

I have bought a fully CE approved o2 rebreather that is superbly fit for purpose.

I have chosen to modify it for my diving.

The iCCR has yet to be released.

Perhaps you would care to explain how that makes me gullible??:angry:

·
Registered
38 Posts

Um..... Gullible... Not... I received what I ordered and I have added ppo2 monitoring... As I planned....

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Have you checked that Vobster will let you dive a homebuild in their lake?
They let me dive a set of OC Oceanic regs that I modified myself by adding a Suunto SPG to, so I don't see why not?

Janos

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
have a safe day,s diving moley ,, enjoy ,

ps gary k has a nice ybod ,, going for less than your gizmo add ons ,, all ready for 150m no sil 3 tho ,,

·
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
have a safe day,s diving moley ,, enjoy ,

ps gary k has a nice ybod ,, going for less than your gizmo add ons ,, all ready for 150m no sil 3 tho ,,
Cheers M'dear.....

PS: Add on's were just over a grand.....plus the EA unit cost.....I reckon thats top trumps!!....there aint a rebreather with Shearwater, BOV and BMCL's out there, new or secondhand to beat that!!...(other than an SK).....

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
They let me dive a set of OC Oceanic regs that I modified myself by adding a Suunto SPG to, so I don't see why not?

Janos
I thought Vobster had got rules on what CCRs could be used in the quarry and what couldn't? Or was that NDAC? I am sure that a rule exists at one of the sites about this, anyone remember the post? I've tried to find it but no luck so far. It caused quite a stir at the time.

Digs.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
I thought Vobster had got rules on what CCRs could be used in the quarry and what couldn't? ....
I'm fairly sure it appiles only to training, not general diving. i.e. CE approved if on a course but rock up with what you want if you're not under instruction.

If in doubt give them a ring and ask.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Cheers M'dear.....

PS: Add on's were just over a grand.....plus the EA unit cost.....I reckon thats top trumps!!....there aint a rebreather with Shearwater, BOV and BMCL's out there, new or secondhand to beat that!!...(other than an SK).....
but would you shell out for one now .. + the add on gizmo s,

lets us know when you get back for diving the thing ,, as im worried for you .. xx

·
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
but would you shell out for one now .. + the add on gizmo s,

lets us know when you get back for diving the thing ,, as im worried for you .. xx
Thanks mate...try not to worry....I think the biggest danger I am in is sucking too hard on the Albov
and my shirtails dissapearing up my arse!!

I promise I'll carry some bailout.

Full report and glorious technocolour piccies will follow if I can pursuade me old o/c dive buddy to hold my hand and bring his box brownie wrapped in clingfilm to the depths of the hellpit!!

xx

1 - 20 of 51 Posts