YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

OK, so I'm qualified OW. Probably know enough just to get myself into trouble. Time for the first dive, an 11M dive on the Mulberry Harbour off Wittering.

Find a buddy in the carpark. Seems friendly, obviously experienced. Feeling good. Here comes the RIB. Walk out to the RIB. Fall over on beach. Give me strength. Gert a grip Gareth. Onto the Rib, fast 30 minute ride. Beautiful sun, calm sea, fast boat. what a rush. My open water instructor seems to be the boat driver. Can't decide if that is reassuring or not. He is blatently certifiably insane judging from his boat driving.

At the wreck site. Tie off to another boat. Buddy check. Slow and careful, Gareth. Check, check, check. Don't let him down. Kit on and ready. Final Ok's done, time to go. Inflate the BCD, backwards over the boat. Man I love this. Signal OK to the boat and check buddy is in OK, fin round to the chain at the bow. SORTED. Here we go. Water is warm, Vis about 5 metres. A little overweighted, but that's ok. 10M down, time to hover and check my buddy again. He seems ok, nothing appears to be venting. I feel great, time to move around the wreck. Signal, of we go

Fish. Lots of Fish. Eels, pipe fish, dead man's fingers, cuttlefish. Amazing. Regular buddy Check, regular air check. Watch the bouyancy, be real easy to pop up like a cork and look like a plonker.

45 mins later. Time to make a move for the surface. Buddy has located shot line back to the boat. how the bloody hell did he do that. never mind, up we go , nice and slowly. 5 Metres, time to wait up. 5 min hold. god, this is peaceful, I coudl stay floating at this depth all day. time to surface, DOH!. Surface slowly, right on target. Instructor is smiling at me, can probably see the grin behind the regulator.

BCD inflated. Take off BCD and give to instructor. Take off fins and put in RIB, DOH!.Next time leave them on. Check buddy. Get in boat, turn and help buddy in. check kit stowed for ride home. Check air. 100 bar in 45 mins. that'll do, pig, that'll do.

Instructor asks "was that a rush then?". Actually, no, it was the most peaceful thing I have ever done.

I've found my hobby/passion. Roll on next weekend....

Gareth

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi

Sounds cool.

Not so much a hobby as a fantastic way to spend all the money you wish you had.

Snicker.

Andrew

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Sounds like you had a good time Gareth, it certainly tops my first sea dive by a mile.

I did the Inner and Outer Mulberry sites a few times when I was starting out. Plenty of life.

I don't mean to knock what you did, but I was a little surprised that your 1st dive was in 11m off a rib. I would have hoped that the instructor would have done a couple of shore dives with you first. Any issues while starting the dive are a little easier to sort out. I hope your buddy was experienced enough to help you.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Probably know enough just to get myself into trouble.
Yet, but at least you realise this. Many don't.

All RIB drivers are certified insane, it's a requirement  

Keep on getting wet,

Adrian

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Not so much a hobby as a fantastic way to spend all the money you wish you had.
*sob*

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Gareth,

Well done on your 1st dive mate and many more like it!

Dive safe, always.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Gareth

Well done M8, sounds like a cracking experience, wish i had a good 10m Sea dive like that to get my inexperienced divers in on.

As for Rhib drivers, you wanna see the sea states we take our boats out in.

Regards

Paul

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

And may all your futures dives be as trouble free and enjoyable.

Daz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts