YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Started to look around at booking a diving holiday for the beginning of May 2004, I'm not entirely sure where to head for, ideally looking at somewhere that would be suitable for novice / inexperienced divers such as myself...

I'm sort of got Tobago, Gozo or Canary Islands as possible locations.  

Can anyone please advise if these places would be suitable for someone early in their diving ?  

Thanks andy.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hi Ancl,

How many dives have you done? That's NOT a knock, just an attempt at steering you in the right direction given your choices of venue.

I can't comment on Malta/Gozo or Canaries, as I've never dived there, but Tobago I can. Loads of places to dive for divers of 'mixed' ability - if you're not experienced in very swift drift diving, then CHOOSE your dives carefully, as some of them are rip-roaringly good (9 knots!), but not for the faint-hearted or non-experienced in fast drift-diving!

Don't worry, you won't get slung in and told 'cope with it', but you might want to explain to the DM's just how experienced you are and to choose your dives accordingly. Top diving in Tobago, by the way, and I'd advocate it everyone in need of a change! Email or PM me off list for a full list of two week's worth of 'must do diving' there!!

There are many others on here whom have done the other two dive venues you suggest - and I'm sure they'll be happy to share their experience with you.

Good luck, enjoy and dive safe.

·
Part of the 'Phoenix Programme'
1,112 Posts
Imported post

Obviously I suggest the Canary Islands (Tenerife in particular), but ask Heads Up and andy2tanx, they are perhaps less prejudiced than I am :))

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Come join the badgers on tour (cos we are mad).  We are off to Malta in April.  It is a pretty mixed bunch, and so you would be right at home.  I was out there last year and the diving was very good.

See the thread in "planned trips" for further details.  It is titled "badgers on tour".

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

I've got 30 dives logged so far, all at Gildy and Stoney Cove ( don't laugh ), about 9 of them I would count as training ( Open Water 4 dives,  5 of them the Advanced Open Water dives )  

Could probably do with getting some dives around the UK that isn't in a quarry.

My wife is off to Spain in February to complete her Open Water dives, she passed dives 1 & 2 but couldn't do the mask removal in dives 3 or 4 due to the cold water at Gildy so she will probably only have the training dives behind her hopefully, thats for another thread and I can't get the time off.

Not sure what the right words I'm looking for here, but want to go somewhere warmish where the diving is suited for the newly qualified.  

Can't make April Im afraid as the wife's holiday entitlement starts in May  

Andy

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Imported post

Red Sea has to be an option.
I went to Dahab a couple of months ago, warm water and easy diving, all shore dives.
I used Reef2000 who were pretty good.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Then Tenerife (see Moray's post) has to be a serious option - warm clear water (visibility for miles - makes a huge difference if you're trying to clear masks and build confidence!) and non-slack dependent tides! Just right for divers newly qualified and looking to build up water time in a safe environment!

PM Moray and get the gen - there is a damned fine trip report on here in 'Recent Trip Reports' by Andy2Tanx and Heads Up who've just returned from the very gig!

Good luck!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I did my first 'away trip' (on my own) to L'Estatit in North Eastern Spain.

Plenty of marine life, reasonably warm, lots to see and swim through.

Not sure whereabouts in the country you are, but Girona Airport is a mere 33kms from the dive site and Ryan Air fly there from Stanstead. If you get the 'right' flights, you could be there for under a tenner each way.

Check this link out, or drop me a PM. http://www.divernet.com/travel/medas398.htm

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

I did Malta in February and it was great although very stormy. We had planned to do some boat diving to Gozo but it was so bad the whole island was blown out...

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the information, will have a look at the Tenerife posting, shame I'm not at home today cos I could browse the net quicker then I can at work
  Just waiting for my internet access to be revoked....

Andy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>The wife & i did Gozo for our first trip abroad. All shore diving & if you do 2 weeks you can spend the 2nd week on your own going to the sites you were taken to by the guide. Used Gozo Aqua Sports in Marsalforn bay. Its run by Pat (maltese) & Gail (English). Smugglers car hire (get a jeep) & we still go there quite often. Got some pics on my website if your interested & some site descriptions. The food & beers reletively cheap & the locals friendly. Some great night dives too. I'll be going again this year hopefully. I find it better then Malta as it's smaller so you don't have 1hr+ drives to get to the dive sites.
Good diving
  Rob

·
Part of the 'Phoenix Programme'
1,112 Posts
Imported post

Hey Bren

Thanks for the plug *grin*

In all fairness, I have to say that Dahab, being mostly land based dives with rather adventurous access, is perhaps not suited to the novice. If the Red Sea, try El Queisir or Hurghada. The boat trips are easy, even for the sea-sick prone! Mangrove Bay is also a good option, with a super house-reef - walk out the door and into the water you go!

I STILL suggest TF, but then I have vested interests *grin*

moray

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

If you are looking for easy diving cheap cheap try Taba at the top of the Gulf of aquaba, egypt side of the isreali border. Took the kids there last year. There are some mega cheap deals for the hilton half board with crusader travel and others.

jules

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Looking like its going to be Tenerife, but if I get a bonus or another credit card, perhaps Gozo later in the year.

Wife sent to get hotel brochures.....

Andy

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Well-in mate,

Now you've made the decision, hook-up with Moray (Rabecca) as she can help with info on flights, places to stay and obviously, she runs her own diving operation in Tenerife - and let's just say, 'she looks favourably' up on YD'ers!

Good luck and dive safe.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Hi Andy

l think you're making the right choice.
l've dived Tenerife  five times and Malta once and although Malta has some great wrecks they're a bit deeper than you probally want to go.

Now for the plug.

The last time, Jan this year, l dived with Mike (Scuba1) and Rebecca (Moray) and found they were definately the best l've dived with in Tenerife, even if Mikes looks like a dodgy Columbian drug runner.
PM me for more info, or ring (see profile)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts