YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

well i've had my first proper dive at Capenwray yesterday (sat) absolutely fantastic, what a brilliant experience. Right where to start,set off at 8.15 in thick fog and icy roadsbut once past bowes, sun popped out days getting better by the minute, arrived at Capenwray about 10.30 a quick cup of coffee and a ***, i know i shouldn't but ... get the kit set up and get ready to go. There were three buddy pairs and the DO from the club was doing the lead. The instructor gave us a dive brief, telling us what to expect and what to see and then off we went. We entered down the ramp after struggling to get me fins on what with all that extra layer of clothes i could barely bend down to reach me straps. We went to the first platform and dropped onto it, first time sticking me head under it was bloody freezing but that sharp passed. I couldn't believe how far you could see!! i was expecting to see only a few feet but it must have been at least 15-20 and the size of them bloody fish excellent. We went from the first platform round to Lord Lucan? then onto the other horse and had a sit on it and had our photo took well i could'nt stop laughing at meself it just seemed so mad riding a bloody great horse underwater,tremendous. After dismounting! we went and had a look at that little boat, then turned back and went under a platform, and back into feed the fish, the greedy buggers when the DO opened the bag they were getting right in.It was great just been able to get hold of them they were nibbling your fingers in their mad feeding frenzy!
We then surfaced and went up for a de-brief and sarnies and coffe and a surface interval. I cant say for definite how long we were in but about 40 mins as i was that excited (god do that sound daft), but thats gotta be one of the best experiences ever!! We took bottles up to get filled and went for our second dive about 1.15 this time we did a step entry of the jetty? then finned on our backs to the left, i think its another training area, we then dropped down to the platform then headed towards the airplane, had a scrounge about that, then i cant say how deep but it was noticably colder round there, we then went past a car, onto a boat, then along a wall , past a pipe and then up the wall finishing back at feeding the fish, again the visibility was better than i was expecting probaly a bit less round the plane but still really good, i might have got some of these things round the wrong way because i was enjoying it so much that im still on a high and can't wait to go and do some more. The only time i felt the cold was on my finger ends that was the last ten minutes of the dive's and they hurt!! All in all a great experience and a fantastic day out and a one that will stay with me for the rest of my life, can't thank the instructor and DO enough for taking me up there.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Heheh... nice one John, I couldn't help but grin as I read your post mate, it's great to see the total buzz that a person gets after their first dives, I'm glad to see that you've struck with the training mate and hope to meet up sometime soon for wet.

Did you get sorted with a drysuit or did you use a loaner??

Anyway, top notch buddy boy, keep it up

Best regards
Dave.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Imported post

Welcome to the club, mate. (Am I allowed to say that after only 16 dives?)  I see you were sensible and went the drysuit route from the off -- I think I only survived my OW dives thanks to a thermos of tea.  Fish are cool, aren't they?
I normally close my emails with "Have fun,", but I don't expect you'll need any prompting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Imported post

Hi Skener, I did my first OW dive at capernwray yesterday as well, and bloody #### it was cold (at first), I saw about 5 regs go into bigstyle freeflow(including my buddies.

Like yourself i was amazed how far you could see (although the viz this afternoon was not so good, but still better than I expected before I began diving yesterday. I too had the problem with the straps but by the end of the day just about got it sussed, i think.

That bloody horse scarred the shite outta me when our instructor got on and the head started to move (i wasn't expecting that to happen!!!).

I was well impressed with the site and all the facilities and was totally amazed with the sheer number of people there (must have been well in excess of 100 poss 200).

The Dalmation (forget it's name) pissed on the leg of the only bloke stood by the water today that was not wearing a drysuit, that was so funny. And it seems to be a sandwich thief of the first order.

all in all i've had one of the best weekends ever and hope to do it again soon now i've got my OW qualification, maybe we could meet up one time.

Cheers for now

Andy

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

dave got a dry suit, its spot on, the dalmation up there was a greedy thing, it was trying to get in the cars as well ,know wot you mean about having fun, cant't wait to get back up there.

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

Skener,
If you thought that was good- just wait till you get in the sea!It'll blow your mind!:thumb:

·
2 plugs Parker
745 Posts
Imported post

Glad you enjoyed Cape. I did my OW there and still dive it on a regular basis. The fish you were feeding were Trout (Rainbow) and they get abit too keen for food sometimes and go for your reg. I saw one near the back of the quarry during summer and it must have been 2 and a half foot long (NO LIE) at first I thought it was a pike!
The dog is called Murphy and is one greedy son of a bitch. He will always be your friend as long as long as you have food. Didn't he have his DO NOT FEED ME sign on his back?
Fins come with practice. But a good tip is put your fins on on dry land and then take them off but only slacken the inside buckle. Next time you put them on you can just lift your foot and you only need to pull one strap tight.
Capernwray's web address is www.dive-site.co.uk
Oh and if you like it when it's cold wait till it's 18C in summer.

Ali

·
2 plugs Parker
745 Posts
Imported post

Glad you enjoyed Cape. I did my OW there and still dive it on a regular basis. The fish you were feeding were Trout (Rainbow) and they get abit too keen for food sometimes and go for your reg. I saw one near the back of the quarry during summer and it must have been 2 and a half foot long (NO LIE) at first I thought it was a pike!
The dog is called Murphy and is one greedy son of a bitch. He will always be your friend as long as long as you have food. Didn't he have his DO NOT FEED ME sign on his back?
Fins come with practice. But a good tip is put your fins on on dry land and then take them off but only slacken the inside buckle. Next time you put them on you can just lift your foot and you only need to pull one strap tight.
Capernwray's web address is www.dive-site.co.uk
Oh and if you like it when it's cold wait till it's 18C in summer.

Ali

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Skener,

Being honest, what you've just described (and I'm chuffed for you that it went so well) is the same, more or less, as what we all feel when we dive - and some of us have been at many a long year. That's not to dent your enthusiasm, more an idea of what's to come for you in diving - you NEVER lose that sense of wonderment and enjoyment at attaining neutral buoyancy and 'flying-the-dive'.

Well-in mate. As has been said, look forward to having a wet with you some time SOON! See you either at the Cape, or on one of the other trips.

Cheers,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts