YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)
Last october, I managed to reach the dizzy heights of "sad" (according to some) PADI instructor. I then came back home after working abroad and went back to BSAC and did some teaching, which was fun.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been helping out at Old Harbour Dive Centre here in sunny Weymouth. I've had the HSE medical, got myself insured and tonight..... drrrrum...tish.... certified my first 2 open water students!!! Hopefully, it will be the first 2 of many.

I'm not sure who was most nervous, me or them, but it feels great. They were two big burly men who grinned like Cheshire cats when I told them they were now qualified!

So hopefully this will encourage all those beginning their DM internships who might be getting a bit peed off with some of the current system poo poo-ing. If you love diving, keep at it and pass your love of diving on to others. Your enthusiasm will rub off and, if you maintain high standards and, if you don't become cynical, you will help produce good enthusiastic divers who will hopefully remember the guidance and help you gave them.

The viz down here is clearing up, we saw some lovely critters and had a great afternoon and evening.

And I'm working in the shop tomorrow making tea, sweeping the floor and washing suits. It beats working for the NHS!

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
Thank God the viz is clearing up down there :D

So its all round to Vonny's gaff on Saturday evening then ?

·
Banned
58 Posts
WOW - congrats and I know - after hearing your reputation - that this will be the first of many - and teaching really is the best thing to do - being able to impart your knowledge and enthusiasm onto others - just the best feeling in the world.
I will get off my soapbox - I am just a sad old teacher :)

Cosmo

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Prometheus et al ...Let me know and I'll go down to B&Q and buy a barbie then. I probably won't be diving next weekend because it's the only time I get to see my bloke, however, I'll be diving with Sixsquid on 12th and 13th May if anyone fancies joining us on X Dream doing the Bennendijk.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
What times ropes off for the Sunday 13th?,Vonny.No need to buy BBq , I have one in the camper van (along with all the other junk) you could come over to the campsite if you wanted.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Viz wasn't clear today!!!

Aeolian Sky.....50cm.....binned the dive
Harbour dive.......1-2m

Hope it clears soon though.......night dives seem ok though

·
to far from a ocean
468 Posts
Good Job
I Remember my first back in 1990 :( I miss teaching scuba I hope only for a little longer.
But Have fun great Feeling ain't it

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yeah, some people just don't get it, but in my view, "with enthusiasm" is the only succesful way to teach.

I'm one of those "sad muppets" who have just started down the DM route, but I 'teach' in other areas too, in fact the diving lifestyle is in some ways quite like the snowboarding lifestyle that I also teach in...again more for fun that payment.

I guess I'm lucky in that my 'day job' pays enough for me not to worry about it, but in any subject or pastime if you're not teaching it for the sheer joy on students faces, then go and do something else.

I knew I was going to move on to teaching the day I passed my open water, with my 12 year old son at my side. In freezing cold february water at Capernwray our instructor sat in front of him for the final skill, mask removal and replacement. By this time he had started to shivver and took quite a while to steel himself to remove his mask in the 4 degree water. When he completed the task, our instructor and assistant both dived on him, hugging him and raising his hands.

If you don't understand the story, then I guess teaching's not for you.

·
Buckets thrown overboard while-U-wait
504 Posts
Congatulations Vonny. First of many I hope.

Just spent a pleasant weekend bimbling off X Dream, but have to say that West of the Bill yesterday it was pea soup with 0.5-1.5M on the Fennell. Nice dive though. Much better Saturday on Lulworth Banks.

Oh, if anyone has recently lost a small torch on the Fennell, PM me.

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Well done Vonny, a load of us are in Weymouth next weekend on a WarmWaterDiver's gig. So you may see us around.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Congratulations. The first course I taught fully (as an intern) a friend asked me 'Who learned more - you or the students?'

It was a tough question to answer :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts