YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

First Set of Regs

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  whelk 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am hoping to purchase some kit today, but can't decided between regulators.

I will be purchasing an Aeris EX200 BCD, Twin Guage, and regs.

The regulators I am torn between are an Oceanic GT3 CDX5 and the Apeks ATX40 DS4 package.

Which would you recommend?

Thanks

#2 ·
No question... go for the Apeks!!

Hi there.
I strongly recommend taking the Apeks! Easy and cheap to service, high performance, cold water... if you take care of those Apeks regs, they will stay with you forever. I own 12 sets of regs, and do all my technical diving on Apeks. They have never let me down, even at depths of 100m!!

#8 · (Edited)
I know people who use the oceanic regs and love them to bits, there is nothing wrong with them at all, apeks have a bomb proof reputation and the factory servicing is fantastic (read my recent thread).

Scubapro are also fantastic regulators and if your going to be doing more worldwide diving than UK diving then spares / servicing is more likely to be available at resorts than on the predominatly UK based Apeks, IMO.

Your BCD looks like a nice bit of kit, rear inflation (wing style) and good value for money, you could always have a look at real wings, rather than wing style.

The Apeks DS4 atx100 package would not be your "first" bit of kit it would be usable right throughout your scuba diving no matter how it grows or doesnt, typically a proper wing would too, probably not something you are thinking about right now though....

Why buy twice when you can buy once ;)

Davie

#9 ·
Thanks for all your replies. I will talk to my LDS today and find out about wings.

I think i'll go the Apeks route, I will be doing mainly UK diving, but will be diving abroad when I can afford to.

I am also thinking about the Apeks XTX40 depending on price differences etc. I've used the ATX40 but find the exhaust is a bit small and end up with bubbles in my face, from what I have read the XTX solves this by providing an interchangable exhaust T so can use the larger one?

Thanks

#11 · (Edited)
If all your ever going to do is jump in and relax on a dive or two with mates (like most of the world) and not plan on carrying more than one tank at a time then a BCD is a perfectly good solution, as I said the one you are looking at looks good value for money(I've never actually used that make / model), just have a think before spending your hard earned.

Whilst I've never done it I do believe there is an easy modification for the Apeks 40's series regulators that is worth looking at too, have a search on these forums.

Davie

#16 ·
Thanks for all your replies.

I went at lunchtime and ive ordered the Aeris EX200 BCD, a Twin Gauge, and Apeks ATX40 DS4 DIN package with an ATX40 octo. Also got a regulator bag, and mask slab strap :)

Unfourtunatley, Whelk, it is not pocket change for me lol.

Thanks for your feedback

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.