YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

After reading these posts and seeing some of the results (Timing's especially), am really interested in getting myself a digital camera and housing.  I mentioned the Olympus C5050 to my wife whilst in Curry's the other day and the salesman came back with a £500+ price ticket (without the housing) - which resulted in "there's no way you're spending £500 and taking it diving!" from the Mrs!
This means that if I have any chance of a digital camera and housing, it'll have to be cheaper than that!
As I hardly ever dive abroad (I usually go for a day's diving when we go abroad, but as it's mainly the Med, there isn't much to see these days) - how many of you use the camera for UK dives?  I mainly dive off the south coast where viz is never much better than 2-3m (on a good day), although the club does get away for a Plymouth and Weymouth gig, where viz is always better (10M+)
I'm not keen on the Olympus Mju as they have video without sound (as far as I know), so something with video+audio capability a must and obviously must have a waterproof housing available for it.  Anything come to mind?
How do the Sony P10/12s rate (have seen them mentioned on these boards).  Any other brands/models worth looking at?
Any help gratefully received
Regards, and dive safe
Martin

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

"paid" £407 for my Oly 5050Z inc delivery, vat and 32Mb XD card, or at least I will have pid that price after the nine months interest free credit period
 Currys/dixons et al might be handy to look stuff over but it's not the cheapest way to buy.  PT-105 housing for it can be had for £135

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Regarding the oly 5050. You'll get one for about £399 from various dealers on the web if you do a search. I believe the price is coming down due to the launch of the 5060. As Steve said, the casing is £135 again if you do a search.

Incidently, can anyone tell me what the washer is that comes with the 5050 (part of the counter weight I believe), is it purely to be used as a crude screw driver for the weight??

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

I want very similar to Martin, keep the advice coming and I may treat myself.

Thanks

James

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Simple advice, get the 5050.  You will not be dissapointed.  It is a great camera for use both top-side and UW.  You have a choice of housings - depending on your wallet size and desire to get more serious.  Any of the set-ups out there will allow you to snap in fully auto mode or you can go totally manual for full creative control - its a camera for the beginner and the more demanding user - its not a pro-camera but has a lot of pro features if you want to use them.  The internal strobe is great but you can also choose from a long list of strobes (if you can afford them).

Goto www.digitaldiver.net where a lot of the folk use a Oly of one variety or another and many have moved over to the 5050 (with either the Oly or the Ikelite housings).  www.wetpixel.com is also a good source of info and opinion.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Imported post

I use a Canon A40 (about £180 now) and a Canon case (about £90).  Rated to 30m which maybe a problem for you.

It produces "usable" results but wont work with an external strobe or anything.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Ohh bugger,

I just spent £450 on the oly 5050 with an extra 256Mb cf card. Aliens made me do it. I should have a little time to get used to it on the surface as the housing (another £140) is out of stock till mid Jan. Anyone got any advice on underwater colour correction lenses? I found them on one site but they were £70 each for a 67mm to fit the oly. I need two, one for blue/tropical water and one for green/UK water?

Thats what my shots usualy turn out like.

James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts