YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

So, lighter mornings + lighter evenings = trainers being dusted off and thoughts of getting fitter for diving - because fitter is better, right?

But, I've been reading that some of the residual nitrogen doesn't come out of the slower compartments for some time after a dive.  Soooooooooo, is there a risk of causing DCI by finishing a dive and going for a run later that day?

Anyone do this/know the answer?

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

Would be interested in the answer also, although diving and running on the same day?  You've got more energy than me

I figure I'm safe to run the next day - my computer tells me I'm safe to fly and flying an aeroplane is much more difficult than going for a run.

dan.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>There's only one post dive activity that concerns me & it's a de-brief whilst proping up the local bar.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I heard of a guy last year who did a 30m dive in the Channel in the morning and a 20m in the afternoon. All OK on his computer with perfect profiles. He then ran from the slipway to his car and back, twice. Later on that day he was hit with DCI.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Capel, that's the sort of problem I was wondering about.  If vigorous exercise allows N2 to come out, and the slower tissues hang on for some time after deco, then there must be some risk...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Would be interested in the answer also, although diving and running on the same day?  You've got more energy than me
There's an element of hypothetical here...!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There's only one post dive activity that concerns me & it's a de-brief whilst proping up the local bar.
Yup, but what happens if you get lucky?!  

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Md

You should not do PT after a dive, its the same as any exercise post dive. Dehydration and Post dive exercise are 2 of the biggest factors for DCI.

As i learnt to dive in the Army it was emphasised a lot as being fit and exercising is a daily routine for an Infantryman. Without looking it up i have two figures floating around my head 12 and 16 hours. 16 is the no fly time so i suspect it will be the same. 12 is probably lunch time.

PT speeds up the heart rate, blood circulation and therefore gas exchange and release.

I'm sure Hyperbaric could add a lot to this one, could try sending him a PM.

Dive Safe, Offgas Slow

Paul

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Ahh Woz that reminds me,

A mate of mine works at a Chamber in Thailand, most of their hits are reported in the disco later that day. I'll have a word with him and see if he will add a bit more to that.

Thailand being thailand could well be a few bedroom hits out there as well. Jesus just though, where is the blood consentrated? Owch

Oh dear nightmares about that one.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wacker @ Mar. 20 2004,21:53)]how about sex ?
i tried this a lot last year and neither of us got bent... but my post diving grin got even bigger!

<anticipating a barrage of double entendres here..>

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Julia C @ Mar. 21 2004,00:34)]
[b said:
i tried this a lot last year and neither of us got bent... but my post diving grin got even bigger!

<anticipating a barrage of double entendres here..>
I am sure this is an issue!

My wife and I tried this and she experienced a bend which had her touching her toes. Blood shot to my external parts causing swelling of "considerable proportions" and we both got an all over body rash, which fortunatly subsided after a nap. It left us both breathless and dizzy. In this circumstance using O2 may not be the best treatment as it may prolong the event and in turn put further strain on our hearts.

James  

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
No thanks you are not my type  

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Oliver @ Mar. 20 2004,21:58)]You should not do PT after a dive, its the same as any exercise post dive. Dehydration and Post dive exercise are 2 of the biggest factors for DCI.
I remember reading here that moderate exercise can help you off-gas but strenuous exercise can make things worse before and after a dive.

The site suggests laying off strenuous exercise for up to four hours before a dive but it doesn't give any info on post dive exercise. I wonder if moving twins counts as strenuous exercise?  

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Nick

I think there are quite a few occasions where simply moving kit has been enough strenuouse exercise to trigger a DCI incident.

I was told one once by a guy who's buddy had missed some deco but was ok on the boat and trip back refusing to have the emergency services called.

He collapsed with DCI at the top of the slip having carried his kit up it and has been in a wheelchair ever since.

Dive Safe, Off Gas Slow,

Paul

·
Registered
288 Posts
Imported post

Nice reply James!! LOL!!

I did my first two UK dives at Treaduhrr 18 months ago on a Saturday afternoon, followed by the Liverpool Half Marathon the following morning. No noticeable adverse effects. Also been in the gym in the evening following morning/early afternoon dives, again without any problems.

I would have thought the real problem is over exertion before your dives, i.e. getting into the water stressed, with all the potential for things to go wrong.

I know that a few years ago the Navy had casualties down in the Plymouth area during a hot period in the summer, but I think that was down to overheating because of over exertion in dive suits (having said that the course they were on did demand high levels of fitness) rather than the effect of exercise after diving.

Its an interesting subject, no doubt there will be members who are pretty clued up on the pros and cons.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I think it was on the DIS list that I heard some people advocate gentle excercise (such as finning gently) at the 6m stop to aid off-gassing..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Imported post

I know a guy that takes part in chamber trials.  He reckons that when they monitor you, every time you move it produces a flurry of bubbles.

If you have ever wondered what decompression sounds like, try this link
Doppler recording

The idea of gentle exercise during decompression is to keep the blood flowing, like the exercises in the inflight mags on long haul flights.  I usually have a gentle fin about about and wiggle my fingers.

A bit OT but I know a guy who got hit quite badly driving up the hill out of Weymouth.

AIUI the risky time is the first couple of hours but its safest to avoid heavy exercise for at least 8 hours.

Your ontop tonight luv!

Regards
Matt

1 - 17 of 17 Posts