YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I am aiming to fit a slob knob to my manifolded twins. Its an MDE manifold and I will need to turn the middle section downwards. How do I do this, do I loosen all 3 nuts (one at each end plus the third which I assume is the nut that tightens the centre section
?)

Any info would be appreciated - is there a site that shows how to fit/remove an MDE manifold that includes diagrams

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

obviously you need to drain down the tanks first,

it is streight forward, just slacken off the nuts a bit and position the slobnob where you want it, then re-tighten, use a bit of insulation tape on the nuts to stop the croming chipping off

Question?
some people are less practical than others, im not puting you into this catogary, but to ask the question of how do you do it?, makes me wonder
your life depends on these tanks being in good order, manifolds have o rings in them and great care must be used, if you are in any way not 100% sure, then just take them into your local dive shop, they will probabley only charge you a tenner to do it for you

if an o ring goes on your manifold at 40 m you will probabley shite yourself, sat on the boat reflecting on the dive, heartrate still through the roof, you will wish you would of spent the tenner  lol

shit i sound like im preaching, and i did my own lol

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Cheers Steve - you are right of course - a tenners cheap when life aint !!!

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

Kirky,
have you thought of inverting them?

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Imported post

Try your best to set up without the use of one as they do fail,I know as mine did thankfully before a dive now i dont use one and it will save you the best part of £100  
Greg

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

I think if you're not supple enough to reach behind you to do a shut down you shouldn't be using manifolded twins. Only because i can do it of course.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>i managed to shut down all three at the weekend(one at a time of course) i'm well chuffed . i'll be even happier when my strained shoulder eases though

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DougParker @ April 24 2003,23:30)]I think if you're not supple enough to reach behind you to do a shut down you shouldn't be using manifolded twins. Only because i can do it of course.
<font color='#000F22'>I think if you're not supple enough to reach behind you to do a shut down you shouldn't be using manifolded twins.  

So I get it, If you cant manualy out break a car in the wet that has ABS fitted you shouldent be driving a car.

A slob knob is a perfictly valid stress saving safety device for any twin set diver. I first rate, yoger / gymnast diver might be able to shut down as quick as I can with a slob knob but I doubt it. I can isolate with my right hand whilst reaching back with my left hand to shut of my main reg at the same time. Using a standard manifold a shut down could take up to twice as long as when using a slob knob and the slob knob was a damed site easier.

All the above rantings over:

My advice is DONT piont the central isolator valve down between the tanks. Have it coming out just above 90 degrees pointing at the top of your head. Then rout the slob knob over or under your left or right sholder and hold the end in place on a low D ring.

Using this system you still have the option to manualy shut down the valve in the unlikley event that the slob knob should break. You can use the hose of the slob knob to walk your fingers back along the hose to the manifold to ease location and asist access.

I have always doner it this way and I have never found the hose routing a problem. I have a pic if you want to see it Email me on [email protected]

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

When they make a slob nob that does'nt shear off inside leaving you spinning a useless 100 quids worth of stress reliever and not doing anything, then i'll change my mind.  And are modern drivers better than us old gits because they have ABS ?, Should you not know how to stop the car without ABS ?.

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Hey Doug - as the person first posting the request for info let me tell you that I am short sighted. I suppose you think I should not wear glasses

We`re not all the same you know !!

From my perspective, anyone who cannot reach the isolater should consider another valid option - and a slob knob is a valid option.

In terms of overall risk assessment - any option that improves ones ability to deal with a situation is a good option in reducing what is a small risk if the kit is properly looked after and maintained

Thanks though - interesting to get others opinions

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Kirky,

Never used a slob-knob but have seen a couple up close and if fitted well I can see them doing the job.

There are other options - Kevin Gurr lifts the whole rig off his back to get at the valves and can do it really quicky and then there's the growing band of twinverts.

I was out with Stevie W at the w/e with his twinverted 10s and shutdowns were easy for him.

Whatever you decide - I hope it works for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Imported post

Get your slob knob but take it apart from time to time and inspect the crimping as this is the failure point when mine went it just span so after that i am afraid i am on Dougs side,a slob knob is the last resort if you dont need it ditch it.    Greg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Imported post

Hi all,
I have ben following this thead for a couple of days now for the reason i just bought a pair of second hand twin 10's 232 manifolded (MDE),banded (sds)but instead of the isolator knob it has the said slob knob.I have been considering changing it to a tactile knob but still undecided.One thing that was mentioned was that it should be well maintained ,what are the procedures for this ?.At the moment it seem hard/slow to turn on/off on dry land and sometimes twists on it's self rather than turning iso valve,is this normal do you have to secure the end to get more effective turning?.
I would like to think myself as petty fexible but i must admit once i have my dry and undies on i feel quite consricted.
Any advice, experiece and wisdom would be gratefully recieved.

Regards,

MAL..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Imported post

Ooopps just remembered does any one know of a supplier of tactile/rubber valve knobs can't find any on the internet.

Cheers all

MAL..

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

Kirky

If you are considering fitting a "slob Knob", can I first suggest the following:

Ring me up:
01244 570858 (home)
01244 670907 (work)
07778 528205 (mobile)

or

e-mail me:
[email protected]fsnet.co.uk

And I will attempt to save you from this terrible affliction!

We can get in the water together and I will show you that you really don't need one!  Unless you have some kind of predisposing condition (shoulder injury etc.) you really should be able to reach your valves.  It really is very easy.  A slob knob will (potentially) create more problems than it solves.

I'm serious, ring me up and we can fix a date (ooooh err!) to get in the water and sort this out!

I should point out that I am *not* any kind of diving instructor.  I am just convinced that I can save you from this terrible affliction!

Best regards

Bob

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

Hi Bob - thanks for the offer - I`ll get in touch - I`m on the last bit of kit modification (dropped the bands as far as the boots so the valves are higher) Prior to this I could touch the isolater but that was it. Also I`ve loosened my new BP/harness a bit to give me a bit more flexibility. Also do the exercises (arms front, over then back) Also think my undersuit is a tiny bit too small so considering upsizing. Suit is OK.

Apart from this my last resort is the slob knob

Cant get out until at least next weekend having picked up an ear infection at Eccy but will phone you after my next outing if the mods dont work.

Thanks for the offer and I will be in touch - always willing to learn !!!!!

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

Nice one Doug !!!

Imagine - I once was on holiday and the buddy allocated to me had worse eyesight than me - white sticks at 25m !!! - he asked me to keep an eye on him...............

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>John,

Dont bother with a slob knob, you saw how pants i was at shutting down my twins at capernwray that time.... now through practice, practice, practice, fiddling with the harness, back plate and angle of the manifold, even Ben can reach them. Only took two months of hard work!!

Are you using a rear zip drysuit?? Have been told that makes it alot harder than a front zip to reach the manifold as your having the go against the metal of the zip.

Seriously slob knobs a waste of sixty + quid, Keep fiddling with your setup and practising and youll get there. If I can anyone can!!!  

Ignore gav as hes a natural born freak with gorrilla arms.  

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Good point above if you can do without the slob knob you will save money.

If you cant, then remember this. A properly positioned slob knob gives you the option of a manual shut down or a slob knob shut down so apart from cost where is the down side?

The central isolation valve should be easy to turn therefore putting very little stress on the unit. If its stiff, its faulty and should be serviced.

DIR do a good guide to modifiing a valve to allow easy turning and its well worth a look. Sorry I read it so long ago I cant remember the link.

Pre dive I manualy turn the central isolation valve fulley on and fulley off then turn it two turns on for the dive. This ensures the valve is not faulty and is free mooving and guarentees the two turn on setting that I use to ensure I dont turn the thing the wrong way.

Even if you dont use a slob knob the valves should be easy to turn. I can do my ones with my finger tips during the dive.

I can reach all my valves but its too slow as it involves releasing the waste buckle and pushing the set up my back to reach the central isolator.

Can a skilled driver out break ABS? Yes but even a muppit would give him a good run fro his mony with ABS.

When it goes tit's up under water it is amazing how quickley we can be reduced to muppits.

Is it a waste of money? Mmmmm What about my EPLB it could break, it could leek, the bateries could run flat its full of potential failure points and its expensive but I would rather have that with me when I am lost at sea than a silley little flag. Thats the kind of logic I apply to the slob knob.

Down side: Cost, maintinance, possable failure resulting in need for manual shut down.

Up Side: Could save you 15 mins worth of gas in an emergancy shut down and this may be just enough to save your life / prevent a bend on the day.

In the end do what ever you are happy with I am just outlining the case for all the slobbies out there. What ever you decide just remember to practice every dive.

ATB

Mark Chase

1 - 20 of 21 Posts