YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I've just bought a DIN converter to replace the A clamp on my apeks 1st stage but I want to fit it myself rather than get the LDS to do it.
The nut on the A clamp I need to remove is 19mm diameter but the yoke won't allow an open-ended spanner in, a regular socket fits but I can't get at the square hole with any of the ratchet fittings, so it can't be turned
Does anyone know if a regular 19mm ring spanner will fit or does it require a special Apeks tool?  
Chee-az
Steve

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Steve - a #### good question as i`m in the same boat - just got the converter but the buggers at Apeks dont make it easy !!

Come on folk - answers please !!!

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Steve - I`ve just worked it out & done it. Tools needed are adjustable monkey wrench (not the spanner but the one that has 2 prongs so when adjusted the `square` gets bigger/smaller) and a workmate (not necessarily the black & Decker type that I use !!)

If you look at the yoke, it is the same diameter as the nut so line up the sides of the yoke with the nut, apply the wrench around the lot, adjust until tight. Then jam wrench handle in workmate and twist the first stage in rhe right direction. BINGO. Leave the black plastic thing in place, make sure the o-ring comes out with the nut and fit the adapter, tightening with the appropriate allen key.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Silly question but why did you not just send the reg to Apeks who will fit it for free?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

Cheers for the info Kirky, I'm still not quite sure about the type of 'two pronged' monkey wrench you're referring too but I'm sure my local hardware shop will sort that out.

Re your question Drifty, speaking for myself only, I always prefer to do mechanical/electrical/etc things myself wherever possible, especially as I may have to refit the a-clamp to dive abroad.
Chee-az
Steve

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

Steve, getting my apeks converted tomorrow. Have to admit im getting the shop to do it but your right. Much better to be self suficient at repairs.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

Especially if like me your first job when you left school was as an apprenticed engineer :smash: I feel I can't let a simple occluded nut get the better of me  :silly:
Chee-az
Steve

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Steve
You don't need to replace the A clamp abroad, even if they don't have DIN fittings just use an adaptor (about £20) Or you can even borrow mine

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imported post

Cheers Andy, That's very kind of you to offer, though apparently DIN fitting tanks are more widely available than I had believed.

Cheers Kirky, I sorted it using a variation of your method, (a-clamp in a vice, no need for wrench) but kudos to you as I hadn't thought of that myself.
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Imported post

The simplest.......and most cost effective is as follows.
Buy 300 mm ish. of 3/8" or 9/16" (lp & hp ports) threaded bar. This is your field vice/handle.
Remove all hoses and place yoke nut in vice jaws, use field vice as handle and simply undo nut by turning 1st stage with handle !!!!!
The delux version has electric tape round the thread to protect your soft northern hands.
Beware when tightening din shaft (6mm allen key)that brass is soft as well !!!!
~Nice web site~not too mutch bollocks
safe diving

1 - 10 of 10 Posts