YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi,
This might seem a daft question but i've just aquired a used set of Tx40s minus spg - Does anyone know what the recommended torque is for an HP connection into a Apeks 1st stage ??

Cheers

Graham

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Crikey,  thats a new one on me.  I was not even aware of recommended torque settings !!

I normally just tighten the hose by hand and then give it a small nip with a spanner.

Daz

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Yeah, same here, just nip it up, if the o-ring is in good condition a pound or two of force isn't going to make much difference either way
Dom may have some general torque info from his Airspeed book on reg repair and maintenance
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

He certainly would, if only he'd ever gotten round to buying that one.
It's on my list..
However, in the Apeks servicing manual I'm absolutely not supposed to have, it says "Apply a torque wrench...to tighten each hose...to a torque measurement of 40 (+-5) inch-pounds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Ta - Digs out the spanner from the back of the car

- Thanks for your help gents, i'm dropping them off for a service anyway but wanted to be sure - btw does £50 sound about right for a service?

Can you tell these are my first set of regs.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ April 07 2003,22:33)]However, in the Apeks servicing manual I'm absolutely not supposed to have, it says "Apply a torque wrench...to tighten each hose...to a torque measurement of 40 (+-5) inch-pounds.
I wonder how many people bother about that! I'm also a "tighten by hand and give it a gentle nip with a spanner" diver. It never caused me any problems.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

It all depends on the proper use of a DIR torque wrench as well. This +-5 is not good enough. When you tighten it up it's either GI's way or the highway.
 Totally agree! Hand tight and a wee tighten with a spanner. I doubt very much if even the service centres bother doing anything else  

Peter

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi
yep hand tight plus a nip on the spanner.
PS.
You whould have to have some sort of crows foot socket to get around the hose, and the offset whould mean the torque setting whould be inacurate due to extra leaverage.
Also remember the first stage is only chrome plated brass! its the o ring that seals not the tightness of the joint. Consider also that the tec boys only tighten the second stage hand tight, so they can swap regs on the hoses during a dive in the event of failier.
Hope this helps  

1 - 8 of 8 Posts