YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Like the fly on the urinal, I am feeling completely pissed off at the moment - a moment that appears to have now lasted about 6 years.

It may be an extended mid life crisis or lack of whore moan balance. Whatever, I need some inventive career combination suggestions to consider, from you luvverly people, that would put my life back on track and me smiling into my old age.

If you were going to mention the position of diving gynaecologist, forget it. I have already made an extensive study of this option and I can confirm it is not all it's cracked up to be (not to mention it gives me back ache).

Overseas positions need to be checked thoroughly. For example, in Mexico there are no fringe benefits.

Your assistance is required to save me from this black Monday 46 year old (FFS, sob) depression.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

If you work hard, you can acheive amazing things.

And then you die.

Try flyingfish.com... they're to expensive to consider, but they have nice sunny pictures

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Crickey Bryan I thought you were a lot older than that!!

Matt

ps If you get any really good advise, sling some of it this way, as I am currently feeling just a little despondent myself.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ April 05 2004,15:23)]If you work hard, you can acheive amazing things.

And then you die.
Dom,

Yes, sad to say that as I get older the mind improves as the body expands and collapses round it.  

Oh, in case I worried any of you nearly 40 year olds about what you have to look forward to - I lied about the bit about mind improving. Your best hope is that it collapses completely before you understand what is happening.  

Bryan

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Bryan,

Try joining the cops. You won't enjoy it, but it will at least make you realise that things at the moment aren't as bad as you thought!

What you need is not a change of career - just a young mistress!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

I have to say that Flying Fish are very good at what they do. There are a fair few people who have become fed up with their lives, jobs and careers who take these courses and don't look back for a while. The courses are mainly taken by 18-21 year olds but you often get the nominal old geezer - who can usually out drink the kids very easily!

If you are into other watersports and can afford to go off for a fair amount of time you can end up with a whole raft of qualifications which can pretty much guarentee you a place in a centre somewhere. When I did my windsurfing instructor, there were people who had learnt to sail (yachts and dinghies), windsurf, waterski, dive, moutain bike and kayak and were working towards instructor qualifications in all of them all in the same course - for a price though.

I will say that this life is not all it is cracked up to be. The job conjures up thoughts of mincing around in shorts with bikini clad blondes falling at your feet - it is a long way from that. The reality is very low pay, very simple life style, a cramped, smelly staff house, long hours - but a great social life and meeting some very nice people. But, as your customers are always reminding you, at least you are doing something you enjoy!

Andrew Levant, the bloke who runs FlyingFish it is always very happy to chat about anything relating to watersport instructor courses.

Paul

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ April 05 2004,15:43)]What you need is not a change of career - just a young mistress!
<font color='#736AFF'>Is this something that you recommend then Mark?!

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate @ April 05 2004,16:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ April 05 2004,15:43)]What you need is not a change of career - just a young mistress!
Is this something that you recommend then Mark?!
  Not looking to apply for the position are you Kate  

Don't set your sights so low, you really can do better.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

WTF

as much as I appreciate the brewers art I fail to see how these boys can sort your life out,
http://www.flyingfish.com/
Obviously I've got the wrong website so can someone demystify this please?

Personally I'm seriously thinking about doing a PGCE as I've decided a career in bench-based research really ain't for me.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

Steve,

Try this one.

Bloody expensive but very well run and great experience.

Alternatively, I have a friend who got a job as a BSAC OWI with Greenforce and is now teaching bikini clad 18 year olds how to dive on a very isolated island in Fiji!

Paul

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ April 05 2004,16:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate @ April 05 2004,16:06)]
[b said:
Is this something that you recommend then Mark?!
  Not looking to apply for the position are you Kate  

Don't set your sights so low, you really can do better.
<font color='#736AFF'>So you suggest I set my sights a little higher do you Daz?!?!?

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the replies so far.

I have already reached one conclusion - forget about careers. I am too old and no one would want me + I don't think I could go back to working for someone else ot learning something new.

A new hobby is what I need, or, possibly, something that involves some structure - like voluntary service.

My original, number one hobby/main aim in life was trying to get into womens underwear and that is now only going to work if I go out and buy my own.

I wonder if AP need an Inspiration tester. Or, maybe, like they do with cars, someone to dive them out of the warehouse and round the coast to their new owners.

I suppose there must be plenty of jobs going at the HSE - in the "think tank". Would that classify as work or play? Maybe my age and experience might be required and appreciated there?

Hmmm....

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Hmm sort of know this game at the moment.
it's all very confusing. But we'll just have to run with it and see how it goes.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Beal @ April 05 2004,16:36)]Alternatively, I have a friend who got a job as a BSAC OWI with Greenforce and is now teaching bikini clad 18 year olds how to dive on a very isolated island in Fiji!
Yeah, I hope to do one of these conservation gigs at some point in time, bit more of a challenge to organize a year out when you've got a mortgage though

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Fin.

How about a part time BINGO CALLER at ya OAP retirement centre....... PUT something back into the community thats worthwhile.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>If worse comes to worse.......

Sit in a clay pigeon trap, and let everyone take pot shots at ya ...

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>that called doin a Charlie or a Blair  

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>Well a friend of mine in his mid 30s has just taken voluntary redundancy and is working for greenforce out in Barbados, he gets a small salary (unlike the coral cay lot), and also gets to run all the local schemes like selling the beer to the kids at his small inflated prices (as he has access to the minibus and therefore can drive to the supermarket).

I do believe several mortgages out there give repayment holidays for 3 months or so, (I know mine has the potential to), so maybe asking work if you can have a sabatical for 3 months as you need to recharge your batteries and sodding off to barbados or fiji.

Just a thought

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Join the specials.  I probably will end up doing that.  Or maybe the Coastguard if you live near the coast?  My other half loves it, he is doing cliff rescues tomorrow with the lads.

I used to work as a watersports instructor and loved it.  The pay was shite, the conditions shite, the hours were shite.  But i loved it.  It was something i enjoyed doing as i loved kayaking and sailing, HOWEVER, now i dont sail or kayak.  In truth it put me off them, i was sick and tired of having to do the thing i loved to earn money.  By the time the week was over i was too knackered to go out and develop my skills and enjoy it for real, which is why im a bit reluctant to do the same with diving.
Now i have a proper job where i get to look out of a window and see an asbestos roof and the top 6 inches of a pine tree.
 but it pays the bills.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts