YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Platinum Member - I wish...
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was on a rhib dive on a reef/rock formations with my relatively new Seaskin drysuit with Cressi Rondine A fins, Weezle Undersuit and Boots, and Buddy Tekwing (Hopefully thats of some use for you.)

Now I have never really overly had a problem with my weighting but this time, lucky me, I forgot to put roughly 4lbs in my trim pockets. I only noticed this on descent when I had to literally dump all the air from my suit and wing to get down and make a consius effort to descent. Not the end of the world, I was diving with a 12 instead of my usual 15, but generally I was just a little buoyent for my liking. I made my buddy aware of this matter and we shallowed out the dive profile 'just in case'.

As we moved along the top of the reef I noticed that in my normal finning of position of hands clasped together and head slightly down, with fins slightly above (I use frog kicks where I can) that I was having to constantly adjust my profile by finning down, to keep it like 'normal'. Not to my liking but 9c and decent viz not going to miss this.

We ascend slightly (only a few m) to follow the course of reef and I loose my feet so end inverted, fin down a bit and dump air, probs around 15m at this time, I recovered it but I am thinking f#@k this and thumb the dive. My buddy sticks up a delayed and we ascend. On the way up up around 7m or so, I try to completely stop my ascent to wait for my buddy (just less than a metre below) and I can't. All the air that was to be dumped, seemed to be dumped much to my despair, so without carrying out my safety stops I arrive at the surface against my will. No harm done this time but obviously it could have turned into a much bigger problem if it had been from 30m so not something I am wanting to repeat.

In heinzsight I should have thumbed the dive earlier but heinzsight is a wonderful thing.

Now obviously in the future I will need to double check that the weights are actually in my trim pockets, but I didn't like my floaty feet. They have always been slightly floaty but managable but the lack of weight emphasised the problem a lot.

To counter this I was considering either ankle weights or heavier fins, the earlier being the cheaper option, but before I draw this conclusion is there anything obvious I could be missing?

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
As Fred says, correct weighting is the answer not a kilo round your ankles, if you were underweighted by 4kg why would a little weight round your ankles have stopped you and if all you needed was 1 kg then that's all you need end of.

·
aka,,, Tom Thompson
3,626 Posts
ankle weights are just a crutch for bad technique ,,,, is it friday again...

·
Glad to be away from the flatlands
422 Posts
Floaty feet is just the wrong trim. I never had it until I got my twins, and now feel like they are floating all the time. My solution, fix my trim and my feet feel fine again. In my case 1 kg of tail weight to offset the 2nd reg and valve etc.

·
All we wanted was a home... Manics
4,553 Posts
could be many things. Altering these has helped me in the past :

set weight belt closer to hips rather than high waisted ala Simon Cowel trousers
Set cylinder a little lower (or set jacket higher up the cylinder)
consider a tail weight if using a metal backplate and twins
consider heavier rubber fins such as scubapro jetfins
make sure boots on drysuit are the right size for your feet (too big and that contributes to floaty)

My personal opinion is ankle weights are a last resort.

·
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Floaty feet is just the wrong trim. I never had it until I got my twins, and now feel like they are floating all the time. My solution, fix my trim and my feet feel fine again. In my case 1 kg of tail weight to offset the 2nd reg and valve etc.
So if I moved weight from my trim pockets (nearer my head) and put them on my weight belt that should help to reduce the problem?

·
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
could be many things. Altering these has helped me in the past :

set weight belt closer to hips rather than high waisted ala Simon Cowel trousers - Will do next dive
Set cylinder a little lower (or set jacket higher up the cylinder) - Will do next dive
consider a tail weight if using a metal backplate and twins - Single cylinders for me, for now
consider heavier rubber fins such as scubapro jetfins - Will try above steps first before splashing out on new fins
make sure boots on drysuit are the right size for your feet (too big and that contributes to floaty) - I wouldn't consider them to be too big, they comfortably fit my feet and weezle boots, with the size below being too tight for liking

My personal opinion is ankle weights are a last resort.
Matty

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
I use ankle weights and have done for 10 years or so since i went from Semi-Dry to Drysuit (Semi-Dry for UK diving :eek:mg:) they work fine for me and i have fairly good trim and don't stir up too much silt ;)

Why not give them a try, cheap, easy and you could prob borrow some for a try with ease ;)

·
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why not give them a try, cheap, easy and you could prob borrow some for a try with ease ;)
I think I will follow Blu DL's suggestions first and then if that doesn't go well, then I think I will borrow a set of ankle weights to try out. Shoudln't be too difficult as quite a few people in the club seem to have them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
May be make one of your small weights a clip on one or borrow one from a buddy and see what position the small amount of weight makes you feel most comfortable trim wise.

My personal experiance ankle weights may be more trouble than they are worth (can fall off, easy to forget) however are useful for figuring out where the weight is best positioned on you.

·
4,553 Posts
There are so many different opinions on weighting - I think you just have to keep trying different things until you find something comfortable that works. We are all different shapes and sizes and our weight is uniquely distributed so I guess there can be no ONE rule for getting it right.

My adage in life is - " if something isn't working, stop, logically assess and then change ONE thing at a time - don't keep repeating the failure"
I don't always live up to it, but it is a useful thing to tell yourself when trying to solve any problem. - this was learned from a working life in manufacturing - not diving- but it seems to help in most walks of life.

If your feet are floating, think of your body as a see saw. There is a sort of bouyancy fulcrum point around which the weight needs to be even either side. If your feet float, but your overall weight is right you need to MOVE weight, not ADD it.

·
10,161 Posts
There are so many different opinions on weighting - I think you just have to keep trying different things until you find something comfortable that works.

My adage in life is - " if something isn't working, stop, logically assess and then change ONE thing at a time - don't keep repeating the failure"
I don't always live up to it, but it is a useful thing to tell yourself when trying to solve any problem. - this was learned from a working life in manufacturing - not diving- but it seems to help in most walks of life.
Thats rather good logic and can be applied in virtually everything :)

·
10,161 Posts
My personal experiance ankle weights may be more trouble than they are worth (can fall off, easy to forget) however are useful for figuring out where the weight is best positioned on you.
Uhhhh they are clipped on using solid clips bit like fins, if they fall off you have not done the clip up as in pushed it in, you are the first diver i have known to lose an ankle weight.

They are as easy to forget as any item of kit, check your kit (I do a mental kit up), pack your dive bag, put on the contents of your dive bag on ;), a quick look in the bag post kit up will generally remind you of any items you have forgotten ;)

There is nothing difficult about them and they do a simple job, quite well actually ;)

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
If ankle weights work for you they work for you.
What annoys me is people who look obviously overweighted and who slump to feet solidly down unless they are finning hard who still insist they need them.
My rig needs a lot of lead behind my head so, obviously, they aren't on my list.

Reactions: Paul Oliver

·
4,553 Posts
I use ankle weights and have done for 10 years or so since i went from Semi-Dry to Drysuit ...
When I dive in a semi dry I struggle to get my feet to float and have to load some lead higher up the bc (usually on the cylinder strap) to get a good trim - I've never had floaty feet - so I guess it is just physical differences between people - you have to work out what works for you by trying different ideas -

But I will say to the OP - having learned from experience- only change one thing at a time - and try it out in shallow sheltered water - changing a small thing can often make you float like a busted sofa :D don't want to be doing that with 80m of water below you on a wall dive for example.

·
Registered
496 Posts
If they help, use them.
I've worn ankle weights for the last 23 years with Typhoon Hurricane fins - I could replace them with jet fins, dump the weights and have the same effect... but I like my hurricanes...
I originally used them to take some lead off my weight belt in my ABLJ/BC days as I tended to get back ache after long dives. They serve the same purpose now with my Meg. I dive without them occasionally and to be honest they make bugger all difference to my trim.

·
aka,,, Tom Thompson
3,626 Posts
If they help, use them.
I've worn ankle weights for the last 23 years with Typhoon Hurricane fins - I could replace them with jet fins, dump the weights and have the same effect... but I like my hurricanes...
I originally used them to take some lead off my weight belt in my ABLJ/BC days as I tended to get back ache after long dives. They serve the same purpose now with my Meg. I dive without them occasionally and to be honest they make bugger all difference to my trim.
dont shout , im just asking ,,, if they make bugger all difference ,, why bother to put them on

1 - 20 of 24 Posts